Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Surprise surprise - The Police lied about the Stockwell shooting

I'm not even sure why an IPPC investigation was needed, it was plain to anyone watching the TV that the Police were lying about the shooting, still nice to see them chastised.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6927140.stm

Odd that none of his senior officers thought that Iain Blair might like to know it was a big mistake till the morning after the shooting.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No action will be taken against him, and he will not have the decency to resign, without doubt.

We've already had an inquiry which decided no copper was to be charged for the killing of de Menezes. And no heads will roll for the lies and deception peddled by the coppers either.

All is well with London's Finest innit :)
  • Options
    I doubt they will even be retired on full pension, which used to be a good way of getting people to stand down.
  • Options
    he was told to stop by armed police so he run onto a tube, after what had happend on 7/7 what should they have done?
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    he was told to stop by armed police so he run onto a tube, after what had happend on 7/7 what should they have done?

Nice to see you repeating the very lie that the Police have gotten into trouble for saying. He didnt run, he wasnt challenged, he wasnt wearing a heavy coat, he didnt jump the barriers, there were no wires coming out of his bag (he didnt have one) - in fact the only reason he was identified as the suspect at all was his 'mongolian eyes'.
  • Options
    If the world was a good place, Sir Ian Blair would now have resigned in disgrace. Tomorrow's newspapers would be full of articles trashing him. His career would be completely finished. As it is, nothing of the kind will happen. He's still in office, still picking up his salary. The only losers are Londoners, whose main police force is now headed by a lame duck.
  • Options

he didn't challenge armed police apparantly they called him and he went up to them and they put him on floor and shot him

he was only followed cause he lived in the same block of flats as an actual suspect

he weren't wearing heavy clothes

he has his brazilian ID stuff on his dead body

the person jumping over the barrier an eyewitness saw was a plain clothed police officer

this is such a cover up it's unbelievable
  • Options
    he was told to stop by armed police so he run onto a tube,

Not true.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    He didnt run, he wasnt challenged, he wasnt wearing a heavy coat, he didnt jump the barriers, there were no wires coming out of his bag (he didnt have one) - in fact the only reason he was identified as the suspect at all was his 'mongolian eyes'.

Amazing isn't it?

What are the media focussed on? The fact that Ian Blair wasn't told and that someone lied to the public.

But hang on a second, isn't the bigger issue here that they shot smoeone who wasn't running etc and in fact had given no indication that he might be a terrorist.

The lying is Phase Two, without the fact that they had coldly murdered an innocent man, the lies wouldn't even have mattered.

I'm also very concerned that the Police killing someone on a busy Tube, even a terrorist, isn't considered high enough priority for Ian Blair to take charge personally...
  • Options
    Good to know that our capital is in safe and responsible hands.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the police, they are in a very difficult position, trying to protect London from mass murderers.

My only issue with the police is that they lied to try and cover their backs. There is no way something like this could have been kept quiet, and the police were never going to win by lying about the incident.

The police should have held their hands up, and admmited their mistake immedialty after shooting Jean Charles.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Amazing isn't it?

What are the media focussed on? The fact that Ian Blair wasn't told and that someone lied to the public.

But hang on a second, isn't the bigger issue here that they shot smoeone who wasn't running etc and in fact had given no indication that he might be a terrorist.

The lying is Phase Two, without the fact that they had coldly murdered an innocent man, the lies wouldn't even have mattered.

I'm also very concerned that the Police killing someone on a busy Tube, even a terrorist, isn't considered high enough priority for Ian Blair to take charge personally...

To be fair the shooting is being dealt with seperately - the IPPC report was concentrating on whether the police lied.

They are two issues - you could find that the police acted correctly with the information they hand on hand up to the second the bullet was fired and then lied afterwards.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the police, they are in a very difficult position, trying to protect London from mass murderers.

And if they'd done their job properly an innocent man wouldn't have been murdered.

Look at the treatment of the IPCC whistleblower and the ITN journalist who broke the story (here and hwere, and suddenly the whole thing become a lot more sinister than a simple Met fuck-up.

The simple fact of the matter is that senior Metropolitan Police officers murdered an innocent man, lied about it, slandered the victim, and then used vague laws to bully, harrass and intimidate people prepared to stand up to them.

If that doesn't scare the living shit out of you, nothing will. It's the sort of thing that happens in Bongo Bongo Land, not in the UK.

Blair should be in a prison cell, the officers who shot the man should be in a prison cell, and Hayman (who's no stranger to fuck-ups resulting in death and injury to innocent people) should be swinging from a rope.
  • Options
    i guess the moral of the story is if you are a bit dark looking just turn yourself into the nearest police officer with your hands in plain sight, so they can confirm you are indeed not a raving islamist nutjob and you can go about your business without the fear of getting shot? god help you if you have a beard though....
  • Options
    i guess the moral of the story is if you are a bit dark looking just hand yourself into the nearest police officer with your hands in plain sight, so they can confirm you are indeed not a raving islamist nutjob and you can go about your business without the fear of getting shot? god help you if you have a beard....

:yes:
  • Options
    i guess the moral of the story is if you are a bit dark looking just turn yourself into the nearest police officer with your hands in plain sight, so they can confirm you are indeed not a raving islamist nutjob and you can go about your business without the fear of getting shot? god help you if you have a beard though....
    What does that mean? Are you suggesting that our cops are a bunch of racists? I'm at a loss.
  • Options
    ffs
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    ffs
    Well, if I made that statement, people would be clamouring over themselves to shout me down, so I see no reason why I shouldn't ask for clarification.
  • Options
    What is it that you need clarification on?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    What is it that you need clarification on?
    When he says, "if you are a bit dark looking just turn yourself into the nearest police officer with your hands in plain sight, so they can confirm you are indeed not a raving islamist nutjob", it sounds to me like he's saying the police give harsher treatment to those who are not white. If he isn't, I'd like to know what he did mean.

For the record, I think the police had a horrendously difficult call to make. In this case, they got it wrong. They should have been completely upfront about it adn admitted their dreadful mistake. Instead, the truth had to be dragged out of them. That is why I'm angry about it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    When he says, "if you are a bit dark looking just turn yourself into the nearest police officer with your hands in plain sight, so they can confirm you are indeed not a raving islamist nutjob", it sounds to me like he's saying the police give harsher treatment to those who are not white. If he isn't, I'd like to know what he did mean.

Of course he's saying that the police give harsher treatment to people who aren't white (or at least of middle eastern origin in this case). Sounds like a pretty accurate statement to me.
  • Options
    For the record, I think the police had a horrendously difficult call to make. In this case, they got it wrong. They should have been completely upfront about it adn admitted their dreadful mistake. Instead, the truth had to be dragged out of them. That is why I'm angry about it.

What do you mean by "a heorrendously difficult call" to make? He was unarmed, he didn't threated the public at all, and he was white as well.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    He was unarmed, .

the armed police didnt know this, they had a call to make and they made it, all this is going to do is make the police second guess themselfs and i dont think thats something we need armed police to do
  • Options
    the armed police didnt know this, they had a call to make and they made it, all this is going to do is make the police second guess themselfs and i dont think thats something we need armed police to do

Did they also need to smear de Menezes in the press afterwards?
  • Options
    I'm at a loss.

Wouldn't be the first time. :p
  • Options
    Of course armed police are under a lot of strain, and it wasnt like that time was a quiet weekend, it was part of the one of the biggest man hunts ever.

But the operation was a disaster, the officer who should have been checking ID's were off having a piss, they let him get on a bus, someone gave the call for him to be shot dead on no evidence and to top it all off they lied about it and slandered the victim.
  • Options
    Of course armed police are under a lot of strain, and it wasnt like that time was a quiet weekend, it was part of the one of the biggest man hunts ever.

But the operation was a disaster, the officer who should have been checking ID's were off having a piss, they let him get on a bus, someone gave the call for him to be shot dead on no evidence and to top it all off they lied about it and slandered the victim.
    For once, I agree with you. If the police believed this man was up to something, they had countless opportunities to stop him and ask questions beforehand. They could have stopped him when he came out of his house, for instance. They could have stopped him before he got on the bus. They could have stopped him before he went into the tube station. Why on earth didn't they do so?
  • Options
    For once, I agree with you.

Dear God NO!
  • Options
    Dear God NO!

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...
  • Options
    Dear God NO!
    I would have a drink to get over the shock of my actually saying that, but I have to drive to work later today. :p
  • Options
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...

I suppose so, I'm just deeply frightened that this is the start of a trend, maybe the Mail isnt all that bad?