Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why am i not loosing weight?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i really don't understand...

i've been going to the gym for nearly a month, doing really well and sticking to it, not eating junk, for example, today i've had a small bowl of porridge, a cheese and pepper salady thing (all the veggies i had left), then small amount of rice, peas, and jerk chicken with onions and pepper, and an apple...

this is quite typical of what i eat on a daily basis, i drink at least 6 of squash or water, and i occasionally have a treat i.e. a piece of cake, but this is down to maybe once or twice a week...

and i haven't lost a pound...

i'm really getting downheartened about it, because i feel huge and ugly at the moment...and i can't get my head around what it is that i'm going wrong so that i'm not loosing weight...

any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    You seem to have your diet/exercise regime under the sort of control that means you should be loosing weight. The only things I can think of a non-exercise junkie is that you either building up muscles which weigh more then fat, or there is some underlying medical reason for you not to have any weight loss. Keep going how you are for a another month or so to see if there is any change and if not speak to your GP/or a trainer at the gym for some more ideas and help.
  • Options
    i have had some incredibly weird stools as of recent, but as far as i am aware i'm reasonably healthy...

i'm only doing cardio, so surely that wouldn't build up that much muscle?
  • Options
    No idea if cardio will build up muscles. However the odd stools may be down to either if you've changed your diet distmatically or because you've had other problems recently and its still effecting things.
  • Options
    You might have a low mentabolism?
  • Options
    i have had problems, but i was told that there was nothing that caused it when i went for my endoscopy....

i have toned up a bit, but i've not lost any weight, haven't checked inches tho
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    You might have a low mentabolism?
    but what would cause that?
  • Options
    maybe you have a low metabolism. Things like eating lots of small snacky meals a day, instead of three big ones can help, as can drinking green tea.
  • Options
    but what would cause that?

can just be one of those things that you just have, nothing wrong with it as such. have you managed to lose weight by dieting before?

Also, how long have you been dieting? have you lost any weight? if you've been dieting for a while it is common for you weight to stabilise and even out and weight loss decrease or stop. just a thought.
  • Options
    2 years ago i nearly 12 stone, before x-mas i was 10 stone, i put on half a stone over xmas and then lost it...so i'm back to 10 stone.

i really need to loose at least another stone, because of my height...but i'm doing my best and i'm getting no where!
  • Options
    Some people can eat treats and get away with it, i am one of the people who can't, if i was eating 2 peices of cake a week i know my weight loss would stop too. Try cutting them out for 2 weeks and see how you go.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Some people can eat treats and get away with it.

I'm like this, which really is a pain because I'm losing weight I don't need to, due to having problems with my stomach.
  • Options
    cut the squash too.
  • Options
    (please don't think i'm having a go)

BUT WTF AM I MEANT TO EAT! just veggies for the rest of my life? I'm trying so damn fucking hard and those little treats mean so much to me...this is getting very depressing...
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    cut the squash too.

Why?:confused:
  • Options
    Reading over it again i would say to try and not have the cheese, or limit it to once a week as cheese is loaded with fat.

If you have a treat 2 times a week, try having one once a week and see if that helps.
    I would only drink water.

Maybe some of the things you eat aren't as healthy as you think?
  • Options
    almost everything i eat i cook. i don't have curry sauces or pasta sauces i make everything from scratch...

maybe i should be calorie counting
  • Options
    Perhaps portion sizes are a little too big?
    If what you are doing isn't working, try changing it a little until you find the right balance for you.
    Failing that see your gp and get some blood tests done to check nothing underlaying.
  • Options
    Are you on any medication? There might be a side effect that makes you put on weight. I'd go see your GP because it sounds like you have a reasonably good diet.
  • Options
    I have the same problem!
    My stomach just won't go, normally its easy for me to loose weight when i wish but i have been trying for the past 2 weeks and nothing happens!
    arghhh
    anoying!
  • Options
    what's your BMI? Are you sure you're overweight?
  • Options
    i'm not on any medication any more, apart from my contraceptive implant, i've had pints and pints of blood taken in the last few months, and my bmi is 26
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Why?:confused:

The water in squash is fine, but if she's drinking LOTS of squash, that could almost be a pint of pure sugary stuff right there!!!
  • Options
    but not it it's sugar free...just checked...
  • Options
    might be your contraceptive implant causing your weight to plateau like that.
    Im really bad with hormonal contraception. All of them make me put weight on. I know its that as the weight falls off when i use something non hormonal.
  • Options
    i'm not on any medication any more, apart from my contraceptive implant, i've had pints and pints of blood taken in the last few months, and my bmi is 26

Ok, not much to lose then, you've already gone down a few BMIs- well done you! What are you aiming for, 25? The last bit is supposed to be the hardest... Battle on!

Don't quote me on it but, I think varying the amount you eat from day to day is supposed to up your metabolism. As is cayenne pepper, but that might just be an old wives tale.
  • Options
    no, i'm aiming for around 22 because thats the middle of the healthy scale...
  • Options
    and tbh, while your diet sounds tasty, that sort of thing is what id eat to maintain a weight rather than a weightloss diet.
    doesnt sound hugely calorific, but it doesnt sound especially slimline either. Just sounds like 3 square meals.
  • Options
    I feel your pain, TT! I've been in the same position as you and felt the exact same thing about cutting out everything you like. I really was not ready for that sort of draconian dieting. I was also training TKD hard for months but lost no weight. :no: Although I gained more after I quit. :lol:

Are you eating varied food? You seem to eat a bit of chicken but are you also eating red meat and fish?
    You could also try to up the veg a lot. I eat veg both for lunch and dinner (about 300gr per meal actually). It can be hard to get used to it but it's getting easier. :) I eat a lot of tomatos, haha.

The trick is not to cut out everything that might possibly be nasty but find the best alternatives and check the ratios. I'm allowed cheese (up to 26%-ish) in some quantities and must eat a certain amount of oil/butter daily to get the needed fat. What I'm doing is all about balance and getting the ratios right.

I'm on my fifth week on the new kind of eating I do and I should soon have lost a stone. :) Would love to reach it this wednesday but I think the weds after is more realistic. I'm eating lots and even if I'm not supposed to eat sugar, I have on some occasions and I still lost weight that week. It doesn't need to be the kiss of death wanting something you enjoy! Even better, I've been finding ways to make stuff that I really enjoy eating and doesn't contain any sugar. Guilt free treats! I love it. :yippe:

Also, keep in mind that even if it is fun to lose weight and get back to what's 'optimal', you also need to be able to look at your current shape realistically. That means not just seeing how flabby you are but also note what you think is positive.
  • Options
    but then what am i meant to be eating? salad ?

sorry but all of this is really getting me down, i've really hit a dark point and nothing seems to be getting better. my life is quite shit and it doesn't seem to be getting any better...
  • Options
    and tbh, while your diet sounds tasty, that sort of thing is what id eat to maintain a weight rather than a weightloss diet.
    doesnt sound hugely calorific, but it doesnt sound especially slimline either. Just sounds like 3 square meals.

It sounds like a diet to me!