Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

school uniform

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya ime 16,
i am currently at high school and the school uniform rules are just doing my nutt in. the main thing i get detention for is losing/ forgetting my tie and wearing my rings, who else had this and what did they get it for?

Comments

• Options
    I didnt particulary care about my school uniform, always ended up getting mud and shit all over it but never HATED them.
  • Options
    I tried to wear a muslim headscarf, but I was discriminated against because I wasn't a girl. The court hearing is next week, at the taxpayers expense of course.
  • Options
    Seriously, GTFO my forums.
  • Options
    Perhaps not.
  • Options
    I dont mind them tbh,

one part of me thinks.. hmmm advertising for the school, human billboard but the other part agrees, stops people taking the piss out of each other for the clothes they were and will also teach kids how to present themselfs for jobs.
  • Options
    On a serious note, I didn't wear a uniform and it was ripped jeans from 4th year onwards :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I once went in dressed as ab SS Officer and I like well got a detention. Fucking out innit?
  • Options
    I tried to wear a muslim headscarf, but I was discriminated against because I wasn't a girl. The court hearing is next week, at the taxpayers expense of course.

I nominate this post for post of the week for the sake of it being fabulously hilarious and making me laugh out loud. :yippe:
  • Options
    I used to wear my trainers a lot to school and i always used to get a mouth full and told to put my shoes back on. The woman even took them off me for a week once, did she think i only had one pair? :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    I used to wear my trainers a lot to school and i always used to get a mouth full and told to put my shoes back on. The woman even took them off me for a week once, did she think i only had one pair? :p

:lol:

There were some teachers who never took any notice of whether people were wearing trainers or not. Sometimes, some would just ask if I had a note and then wouldn't ask to see it. One time, one of the teachers gave me a lecture because I told her I was wearing trainers because of an infection I had in my foot.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

There were some teachers who never took any notice of whether people were wearing trainers or not. Sometimes, some would just ask if I had a note and then wouldn't ask to see it. One time, one of the teachers gave me a lecture because I told her I was wearing trainers because of an infection I had in my foot.

I went to a Grammar school they were pricks. My sister is still there now and it sounds like they do all sorts of crazy shit for example if when you stand on your tip toes your shoe falls off then it doesn't fit properly and they try and make you buy a new pair.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    I went to a Grammar school they were pricks. My sister is still there now and it sounds like they do all sorts of crazy shit for example if when you stand on your tip toes your shoe falls off then it doesn't fit properly and they try and make you buy a new pair.

:eek2:
  • Options
    we used to have to wear our tie with minimum 4 stripes showing. Given that these damn stripes were massive, 4 of them would ensure the end touched your belly button.
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote: »
    we used to have to wear our tie with minimum 4 stripes showing. Given that these damn stripes were massive, 4 of them would ensure the end touched your belly button.

We had to do that as well. One of the teachers (woodwork I think) did actually moan about having to wear a tie because it serves no purpose (in his opinion) at all and he'd always have to tuck it in when demonstrating something.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    current uniform isnt that bad (black trousers/skirt/white shirt/black or grey jumper/ black,green,grey tie) theyre obbsessive with the ties being 8 stripes though. They introduced slips for having untucked shirts/trainers/inappropiate tie length etc to attempt to sort the scruff of kids out (3 slips = after school) but hasnt really achieved much.

We actually got detention if we didn't have a note or the correct uniform. (same goes for PE as well)
  • Options

its so long since i went to school that i cant even remember school uniform rules properly. you're 16 now right so hopefully you wont have to wear it much longer?
  • Options
    sammi_babi wrote: »
    hiya ime 16,
    i am currently at high school and the school uniform rules are just doing my nutt in. the main thing i get detention for is losing/ forgetting my tie and wearing my rings, who else had this and what did they get it for?

School uniform didn't do Britney Spear's Career any harm .. :)

How can you loose a tie - it's around your neck ..lol
  • Options
    we were sooo rebellious at our school. It was teh coolest if you wore your tie round the wrong way with the thin bit at the front rather than the fat bit, and preferably really short too, maybe with the ends frayed.

How punk rock is that!!!
  • Options
    ohh we were more hardcore, at our all girls a few ahem chavs went around with their collers up cuz they were just so so hard.
  • Options
    Reading this from my lil sis homework diary/school guide book:

*No jackets with logos (wtf). No long jackets (like trenches). Everything had to be black or navy, including school bags which also were only allowed a small logo.
    *No shoes with heels higher than 1 1/2 inch, no boots, no ankle shoes. No trainers, no heavy boots, no trainers in P.E- only plimsolls.
    * No jewellery except crucifix's or a st christoper pendant (Because the boys wanted to wear an earring, they decided that no one will be allowed to wear them.

At one point they banned coloured hairbands too. Have to admit though, we did look smart.
  • Options
    I didn't mind the uniform. We used to get in trouble for wearing hoodies or non-uniform jumpers under out blazers, not tucking shirt in and for wearing trainers. They even had some stupid rule that you wern't allowed to take your blazer off! Only in the summer, and then you had to out it back on for assembly which was right after lunch in the hottest part of the day :eek2:
  • Options
    They even had some stupid rule that you wern't allowed to take your blazer off! Only in the summer, and then you had to out it back on for assembly which was right after lunch in the hottest part of the day :eek2:

My school was exactly the same, maybe it was the same one :p
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    You think thats bad - at work we're told we can only have two kirby grips in our hair and the hair bobble should match our hair colour

I'm a rebel with my neck scarf though :p

You must be hiding something with that scarf ... hmmmmmmm :chin:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    My school uniform should have been blue, but we all wore black. I even wore a Nike sweatshirt (coz I am cool) and frequently got into trouble for it, but no-one ever really clamped down on it.

My skirt was rolled up - until I just bought a shorter one, and I had shoes with heels that I could only dream of wearing now, my tie was covered in badges, and like SCC the thin side was the side to be seen. We also used to get our compasses out and picked the thread out of the stripes for added coolness!

We rocked! My bro goes to that school now, and gets bollocked for sneezing, so uniform is back to being proper strict! :(
  • Options
    we were sooo rebellious at our school. It was teh coolest if you wore your tie round the wrong way with the thin bit at the front rather than the fat bit, and preferably really short too, maybe with the ends frayed.

How punk rock is that!!!

Oh bad ass :flirt:

The only dress code we had was no vulgar/alcohol/cigarettes shirts and no belly shirts.

I think the cathloc school had a uniform, but that school only went up to 5th grade. (9/10 years old I think)
  • Options
    Our school was militant for it like, fucking 18 and having teachers tell you to tuck your shirt in. Get de fuck!
  • Options
    Our school uniform was insanely strict.

For girls : Black shoes (1 1/4 inch heels max, 1 1/2 in sixth year, although on the school website it now says flat, so they may have changed it), black tights, dress gordon tartan kilt (but kilted skirts were allowed - they're cheaper versions), white long-sleeved shirt buttoned right up to the neck, navy and yellow striped tie, navy v-neck jumer (optional), navy school blazer. Scarfs had to be dress gordon tartan or navy. Anything flamboyant in the hair was not allowed - only school colours or dress gordon tartan.

For boys : black shoes, black socks (white was very much frowned upon and lines were often given), grey trousers (in fact, i've just been on the school website and it says "Mid-grey flannels of conventional style and leg width"), white long-sleeved shirt, yellow and navy striped tie, navy v-neck jumper (optional), navy school blazer.

No jewellery was allowed at all, except a watch and stud earrings, but then only for girls. No make-up either. And ties had to be tied properly - none of this short rubbish you see kids going about with now. Facial hair was not allowed in any way, shape or form, although I did hear tell that the head boy was allowed to grow a beard if he wanted.

The year I left a one-way system was initiated in some of the corridors, and the year after I left all pupils were banned from eating and walking at the same time - whether in school or outside it.

During break and lunch times the prefects patrolled and reported any non-sixth years they found smoking. Sixth years got off with it, provided they were somewhere not on the school grounds and somewhere the teachers wouldn't readily stumble upon them.

I suppose it was quite tyrannical really, but at least the rules were enforced across the board. I didn't have a problem with the school uniform. We all looked good and there was no "my clothes are cooler than yours" rubbish going on. There were silly aspects - the long-sleeved shirts, and the fact that we had to wear our blazers at all times when outside. It made for really warm summers!

Edit to add: boys were not allowed to grow their hair long either, and girls were not allowed to cut theirs too short.
  • Options
    Sera wrote: »
    Our school uniform was insanely strict.

For girls : Black shoes (1 1/4 inch heels max, 1 1/2 in sixth year, although on the school website it now says flat, so they may have changed it), black tights, dress gordon tartan kilt (but kilted skirts were allowed - they're cheaper versions), white long-sleeved shirt buttoned right up to the neck, navy and yellow striped tie, navy v-neck jumer (optional), navy school blazer. Scarfs had to be dress gordon tartan or navy. Anything flamboyant in the hair was not allowed - only school colours or dress gordon tartan.

For boys : black shoes, black socks (white was very much frowned upon and lines were often given), grey trousers (in fact, i've just been on the school website and it says "Mid-grey flannels of conventional style and leg width"), white long-sleeved shirt, yellow and navy striped tie, navy v-neck jumper (optional), navy school blazer.

No jewellery was allowed at all, except a watch and stud earrings, but then only for girls. No make-up either. And ties had to be tied properly - none of this short rubbish you see kids going about with now. Facial hair was not allowed in any way, shape or form, although I did hear tell that the head boy was allowed to grow a beard if he wanted.

The year I left a one-way system was initiated in some of the corridors, and the year after I left all pupils were banned from eating and walking at the same time - whether in school or outside it.

During break and lunch times the prefects patrolled and reported any non-sixth years they found smoking. Sixth years got off with it, provided they were somewhere not on the school grounds and somewhere the teachers wouldn't readily stumble upon them.

I suppose it was quite tyrannical really, but at least the rules were enforced across the board. I didn't have a problem with the school uniform. We all looked good and there was no "my clothes are cooler than yours" rubbish going on. There were silly aspects - the long-sleeved shirts, and the fact that we had to wear our blazers at all times when outside. It made for really warm summers!

Edit to add: boys were not allowed to grow their hair long either, and girls were not allowed to cut theirs too short.

I think my school copied your's as that's almost identical to the back of my old school guide book/ homework diary ours!
  • Options
    I was the first girl to wear trousers in middle school... shock horror.
    By the time I got to year 8 in Secondary school I was the first person to wear platforms and I flat out refused to wear school shoes. I was constantly told off for wearing strappy tops underneath my shirt, which was only ever half buttoned from the bottom. I wore jewellery and had my nose pierced in year 8.
    In year 9 I dyed my hair bright purple (bleached first!) at the front and was taken to the deputy heads office who proceeded to ask me 'don't you care about your GCSE's' in response to my chosen hair colour!!! She got a mouthful off my mum though, when she phoned home to complain about my hair colour, my mum gave her what for and told her to get it in writing that hair dye isn't allowed. It never happened....

6th form was great though - it was non uniform so I got away with blue murder when it came to my wardrobe... purple/pink hair extensions, purple underbust corset over white shirt, miniskirt, platform boots and a black satin tie hahaha.

Me and uniform just don't get on. I'm an individual!
  • Options
    This is my old school's uniform policy. It's changed slightly since I got there (when I was there EVERYONE had to wear ties, but there was none of this "skirts and trousers with school logo" bullshit), but it's about right. We also had a "uniform card" where the teachers signed it if your uniform wasn't right. Although it wasn't really enforced so long as you behaved in general. I think I got one signature, but I never did my top button up, or had *quite* the right amount of stripes on my tie. Nobody cared because I was a good girl everywhere else :D.
This discussion has been closed.