Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

National Service for Young Folk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think there should be some kind of National Service for Young People?

I think there should be something out there for young people to take part in and work and aim towards although I don't think it should be Military based in terms of weapons training but a lot of the skills used in the military are useful such as team work, fitness, planning, organisation, etc .. and such skills would be useful in defending the country and helping people from natural disasters such as the recent flooding as well as in life in general.

Comments

• Options
    As if years of mandatory uselessness at school isn't enough.
  • Options
    Well if you ask me, we don't care about the young folks talkin' bout the young style, and we don't care about the old folks talkin' 'bout the old style too.

And we don't care about our own folks talkin' 'bout our own stuff -all we care about is talking talking only me and you. Talking only me and you.

Do do do do do do dododo do do do do dododo do do do do dodododo do doooooooo!
  • Options
    I reckon in some ways its quite a good idea.

I don't reckon allllllll young people should have to do it, just the ones that aren't 'furthering their education' or the ones that don't have got jobs. Then that way some of my mates that are bums would have some money coming in and would at least be learning something !
  • Options
    waste of time... It's crap for the army who have to dilute a well trained volunteer, professional force with a bunch of people who don't want to be there and for everyone else it takes two years out of their life for no good reason.

Apart from the fact its fundamentally undemocratic...
  • Options
    Isn't this what they do in other countries?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Isn't this what they do in other countries?

Have you seen the riff-raff which makes up most European armies? I wouldn't trust most of them with a water pistol...
  • Options
    Maybe not National Service as such, but I've seen Scouting, Guiding, Boys/Girls Brigade, Woodland Folk, ATC, CCF, OTC etc do a lot of people a lot of good.

It's a shame that more young people don't do stuff like that. It also seems that PE lessons in schools/6th forms and colleges are fairly rubbish. There could be some gain into offering something along those lines in place of traditional compulaory PE lessons, where half of the people there hate it and skive.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    yea do agree its a good idea, the private school my brothers just moved to already incorporates it in their timetable. Every weds afternoon they all come off time table and the girls learn household skills (cooking/clothes making etc). All the boys are part of the cadet/army platoon and thus do many activities from marching, helicopter trips, assault courses etc. They've just come back from a week of army training which he loved (all sorts of team building activities getting muddy and learning loads of new things at the same time).

Definately believe it should be further pushed in state education as well as all the kids love it and it does open up many opportunities for them to develop on a team and individual level which will help in later life. A similar thing could also be offered for those wanting to join the army/such like instead of continuing further education. Similar thinking the positive side of hitler youth when we studied it last year) any sort of national service does open doors to opportunities and gave the younger generation pride/honour in what they were achieving and something to work towards. When conscripting older generations (to lower the unemployment) a lot of progress was made especially when looking at building of autobahns etc giving a sense of achievement/fufillment whilst improving the country at the same time

Yeah I had to do that at school aswell. Didn't teach me all that much to be honest but I did get to go flying which was quite fun.

National Service would teach discipline which, and stop me if I'm sounding like someone 60 years older than I really am, a lot of the young folk could do with these days.

In lots of countries, the choice is higher education or national service for 2 years or so. Not a bad idea if you ask me.
  • Options
    Maybe not National Service as such, but I've seen Scouting, Guiding, Boys/Girls Brigade, Woodland Folk, ATC, CCF, OTC etc do a lot of people a lot of good.

It's a shame that more young people don't do stuff like that. It also seems that PE lessons in schools/6th forms and colleges are fairly rubbish. There could be some gain into offering something along those lines in place of traditional compulaory PE lessons, where half of the people there hate it and skive.

That's different. I think that a lot of these youth organisations are great and should be encouraged. But they're part time and voluntary - I think that's different from making people serve two years doing something whether they want to or not.
  • Options
    Who said National Service needed to be 2 years full time?
  • Options
    Is it voluntary?
  • Options
    Nope, but I didn't question that bit.

Although half the kids in Scouting aren't there voluntarily.
  • Options
    Nope, but I didn't question that bit.

Although half the kids in Scouting aren't there voluntarily.

But its there parents rather than the state...
  • Options
    isnt this what the prince of wales award does anyway?

provide a nice qualification for doing a course that encourages teamwork and survival skills and first aid would be alright, but keep it voluntary
  • Options
    I can see absolutly no point in making anything compulsary for young people. For many, compulsary schooling up to the age of 16 is bad enough, don't pile any more on!

I think there should be further encouragment, incentives and rewards (not talking physical rewards) for young people to take part in schemes such as Duke of Edinburgh, Scouting, Guiding, Price of Wales award, and other such things I am probably unaware of. But I'm bound to say that! :razz:
  • Options
    Do we really want a generation of chavs who have been trained how to kill?

;)
  • Options
    National Service For The Middle Aged

Who would think its a great idea then ay? Not alot of adults i would have thought. They wouldnt vote for that, but they could vote for youngsters to have national service with young people having no power at the ballot box to do so.

This world is so strange. In some ways you are an adult at 16, you can pay taxes, go to war...be made to join national service if it ever happened but until you are sixteen you are demonised by the media as being part of 'the young' and you cannot drive a car, buy alcohol or vote.

I dont think national service would be a good idea. I know i wouldnt have wanted to do it and it wouldnt have done me any good being made to do so.
  • Options
    It doesn't have to be compulsory but could be built up as something that is simply expected of people to take part in the same way it's expected that most major retailers you buy goods from will accept credit and debit cards and not just cash. or the way it's expected that to get a job you'll need at least a few GCSE's to your name.

It would help set a certain standard for young people to aim for .. so many don't have goals, or parents that give them a frame work in which to aspire to .. not many kids are going to say to themselves yeah I fancy the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme .. I'll just go ahead and do it ... most will probably be introduced to it by schools, or someone they know doing it ..

Right now how many councils provide facilities for young people? i.e. things to do after school and in holidays?

In this country there very little to aspire to .. there's no minimum standard for anything. In the USA many jobs require a high school certificate to show the world they've reached a minimum standard of education.

In the USA and Canada in order to sell houses which is probably the biggest investment most people will ever make you have to study and pass an exam - in the UK any fool or conman can set up an estate agency, because there is no minimum standard set by law.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Right now how many councils provide facilities for young people? i.e. things to do after school and in holidays?

I've not seen any - well none that are for my age group (18+)
  • Options
    I've not seen any - well none that are for my age group (18+)

Yeah there's sod all where I live too.

Well unless you count pubs, then there's load of places to go for over 18's.. :yes:

Ideally I would have like to have seen the £1 Billion they spent on the Dome to have instead have gone into building modern communities centres all over the UK .. 1,000 communities centres - £1 Million each with each council having to match that money (cos people appreciate things a lot more when they have to help pay for it) - would have given the old somewhere to go during the day and the young somewhere to go after school.
  • Options
    The kids don't want the army and the army don't want the kids.

'Nuff said.

It's a nice old chestnut that keeps coming round, though, and it's as bollocks an idea now as it was 30 years ago. There's enough compulsory pointlessness for young people without imposing more.

It's an idea that only ever comes up from the braindead morons who are too thick to understand that kids won't behave so anti-socially if they're not excluded from society.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The kids don't want the army and the army don't want the kids.

'Nuff said.

It's a nice old chestnut that keeps coming round, though, and it's as bollocks an idea now as it was 30 years ago. There's enough compulsory pointlessness for young people without imposing more.

It's an idea that only ever comes up from the braindead morons who are too thick to understand that kids won't behave so anti-socially if they're not excluded from society.

Shame you don't take the time to actually read the question before shouting your mouth off.

conscription is forced service i.e. compulsory as you've just said above - it's also been made quite clear the question is NOT about teaching young people how to use weapons or go off to war, but to take the elements of national Service and put them to some kind of use. We are not talking about Conscription.

You seem to have given yourself the right to shout your mouth off and decide anyone that thinks differently to you is a Moron..

Would help if you had a better understanding of the question to begin with.
  • Options
    So, DG you're talking more about life skills than learning to kill people and go to war?
  • Options
    So, DG you're talking more about life skills than learning to kill people and go to war?

I already tried to make it clear in the very first post ... and gave an example of helping in the flood for example as a way these skills could be used.

To quote myself again ..

"I don't think it should be Military based in terms of weapons training but a lot of the skills used in the military are useful such as team work, fitness, planning, organisation, etc"
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    conscription is forced service i.e. compulsory as you've just said above - it's also been made quite clear the question is NOT about teaching young people how to use weapons or go off to war, but to take the elements of national Service and put them to some kind of use. We are not talking about Conscription.

National Service was (and in some countries still is) two years compulsory service in the armed forces. Or am I reading a dodgy disctionary?

If you weren't talking about National Service then why mention it :confused:
  • Options
    Aye Kermits right, teaching life/survival skills is not National Service.
  • Options
    Sounds like community service for the crime of being eighteen...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you weren't talking about National Service then why mention it :confused:

What term would you have used other then "National Service" ... that people would recognise that gives everyone an idea of the scale of what is being proposed?

And taking into account I did try and clarify from the very first post that I was proposing taking on the good elements of National Service and leaving out the controversial elements like training people to kill other people.

Other people easily recognised that what was being prosed was schemes such as scouts, Duke of Edinburgh but on a much larger and formal scale.

The only standard the UK has for it's young is they get a passing grade in GCSE Maths & English ..

After the young turn 16 there's not a lot for them to aspire to .. A-Levels are a mere bridge to decide what University you get to go to. In themselves they're pretty useless ... if young people don't want to go the University route at 16 then what's left for them? They can work but what kind of meaningful work will most 16 year olds get?

Just this weekend I led a group of some 20 people at a sports day event, I put together a framework in which to build a team and they all enjoyed themselves playing sports and learning new skills from juggling to Martial arts, they all had fun had fun, got some excercise, made new friends .. and when I asked most of them what would you normally be doing on a Sunday morning .. most said I'd just be laying in bed..

What I'm talking about is building up a national framework on which to build upon ... much in the same way we are now starting to get this frame work of "Carbon Footprint" .. it's not a perfect system but it provides a National framework for people to build upon ..

Most people enjoy helping other people BUT there is no National Scheme for this, I'm sure just as many young people would pick up a paint brush and help paint a wall and make it look nice and new then would pick up a spray can and ruin a wall.
  • Options
    Sounds like community service for the crime of being eighteen...

18 is not young enough - and not talking about training people to kill - as pointed out in very first post.

school atm ends at 16 so you can't just have people who have no plan for life hanging about from 16 to 18 ..

When you ask a lot of young people who are always causing trouble why they do it - they'll often tell you it's because there's nothing for them to do .. boredom is a huge factor. Lack of motivation, no one to lead the way either ..

This weekend I'm leading a group of 70 people on a trip, .... a trip any of them could have made on their own but they wouldn't have gone because there was no frame work provided for them, I provided the frame work, and the means and motivation to make it happen and the effect will be that if all goes well 70 people will have a new experience, make new friends and have a good day out.
  • Options
    So not compulsory, not at eighteen, not soldiering - sounds like the Venture Scouts...