Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Methadone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How worried should I be that my good mate has just started taking 15ml of methadone at weekends since he started hanging around with fucker skeletor and his sidekick ho bitch?

Comments

• Options
    well theres probably not much yu can do about it, but methadne is supposed to be more dangerous than actual heroin.
    Is it definitely a regular thing?
  • Options
    yup. been on the phone to him this eve... Says he can't get addicted by only having it on the weekend. I hope Skeletor drops down dead with a quickness.
  • Options
    I'd worry. Sorry .
  • Options
    Dont know much about it being used 'recreationally' but i know that a lot of people being treated with it for heroin addiction dont actually come off methadone. Smallest dose ive seen is 40ml a day and that guys had that for almost 10years.
  • Options
    ah ok, so 15ml is a v.low dose then. It's both physically and pstchologically addictive though, right?
  • Options
    15ml is a very high dose for someone with no previous tolerance to opiods. People OD and die from taking other people's methadone when they have no habit themselves. You're friend is taking some big risks and his "mates" are being very irresponsible.
  • Options
    yeah- skeletor is a scum bag, robbed ho-bitch's family, and all her savings two years ago but she's still stuck by him. They've been smoking crack, taking methadone, and binge drinking together- fuckers. I have no idea why my friend's started hanging around with them, he used to think that they were loser tossers too.... bwah, bwah
  • Options
    He needs to be very very careful if drinking and taking someone else's methadone. Lots of people OD and die that way.
  • Options
    I know someone who died from a Methodone Overdose - even though they were a hardcore skag head - its definately not something to be messed with!
  • Options
    I would worry too ..

You could try having a heart-to-heart with him but don't be surprised if it doesnt work because people only listen to what they want to hear. If you do have a chat with him be brutally honest and tell him he's an idiot for thinking only doing something on the weekends won't get you addicted.
  • Options
    well theres probably not much yu can do about it, but methadne is supposed to be more dangerous than actual heroin.
    Is it definitely a regular thing?

More dangerous in what way?
  • Options
    -kenny- wrote: »
    is it because methadone is as addictive as heroin?

What do you mean by "addictive"?

Methadone is prescribed as a substitute to heroin, so in a sense it has to be as "addictive" as heroin as it has to stop people clucking.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    More dangerous in what way?

I dont know. Id heard something along the lines of it was actually a more dangerous drug/ more addictive or something than heroin, was only prescribed as doctors cant prescribe heroin and its easier to guage amounts being that its a standard dosage and medical grade

I havent researched it though.
  • Options
    -kenny- wrote: »
    I mean addictive as in the person would have an uncontrollable compulsion to repeat a behaviour regardless of the cosequences, the person then being referred to as an addict.

So..

Yes, but the whole point of methadone prescription is as a substitute for heroin. The advantage is that you only need to use it once a day, rather than 2 or 3 times a day and you have a steady supply of it. It eliminates the need to go out grafting to score, being sick cos you have no money or your dealer's late etc.

I'm not sure what your point is tbh.
  • Options
    I dont know. Id heard something along the lines of it was actually a more dangerous drug/ more addictive or something than heroin, was only prescribed as doctors cant prescribe heroin and its easier to guage amounts being that its a standard dosage and medical grade

I havent researched it though.

There are a lot of myths surrounding methadone. It has a much longer half life than heroin, so as I just wrote, it only needs to be used once a day. The downside of this is that the withdrawal is longer. It couldn't really be described as "more addictive" though. How do you measure addiction?
  • Options
  • Options
    just sent him a text:

"Look, I'm really worried about what you and 'skeletor' are doing on weekends, please stop. It seems so dangerous for the sake of a buzz. Not preaching, just concerned."

He should be phoning me tonight, so we'll see what he says. I don't feel like I can go over when skletor and ho-bitch sidekick are there, and definitely not with my daughter. We were supposed to be going global together, he was buying my ticket. Now skeletor's bought him one... It's like he's buying my friend away from me with drug fuelled nights out. I can see it all panning out with skeletor ripping him off big stlye, like he did to ho-bitch to the tune of £4000 at least in 2005. He's a grown man though (in his 40s) so I guess there's not much I can do.

Fucking skeletor nearly killed another friend of ours in 2005, got him hooked and he was definitely chasing the dragon (or whatever it's called), probably injecting too. I cried when he did it in front of me. He was such a mess by the time skeletor did a runner after nicking ho-bitches money and robbing her parents, he went to stay with his parents, almost baby like after weeping and weeping to me about the mess that he was in but without telling me what. Skeletor is just one of those poisenous people that have to try to take other people down with them.
  • Options
    His reply:

"Don't worry. its all very under control... but thanx 4 the concern m8"

under control my arse! He's got psychological problems, has these 'episodes' where he trips out, thinks people are spying on him and shit, he called the police recently when he thought someone had bugged his radio! He's also on anti-psychotic meds and sleeping pills- will methadone make his psychosis worse? What can I say to him later, is there anything I can say to steer him away- it's only been a few weeks?
  • Options
    Methadone may well help suppress his psychosis. That may be one of the reasons why he likes it.
  • Options
    maybe, though he has no syptoms between episodes. grrrrr, I'm really quite angry about it as well as concerned. I don't know why, maybe because we both talked about what a shit-head skeletor was and were upset about what he did to/with our other friend. I just don't get why he got involved with them after all that.
  • Options
    People make their own decisions. Sometimes you just have to let people get on with it.
  • Options
    It has a much longer half life than heroin

The drugs effects lasts longer? or the length of continued use, say months/years as a substitute for heroin?
  • Options
    The effect lasts longer. 24ish hours as opposed to 4 hours (ish).
  • Options
    Does that mean it takes longer to be broken down by the body or something?
  • Options
    Yes, it takes longer to be metabolised.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    His reply:

under control my arse! He's got psychological problems, has these 'episodes' where he trips out, thinks people are spying on him and shit, he called the police recently when he thought someone had bugged his radio! He's also on anti-psychotic meds and sleeping pills- will methadone make his psychosis worse? What can I say to him later, is there anything I can say to steer him away- it's only been a few weeks?

Aw well at least you tried, i know its hard but its out of your control now. he knows what you think and the more you harp on the more it will drive a wedge between you and him. hes just gonna have to figure it out on his own, if hes smart he should get a wake up call and wonder 'what the fuck am i doing'
  • Options
    He may well go down that road Matt. However, he may not. Not everyone who gets themselves a habit steals to support it. Not everyone who uses opiods gets themselves a habit.

katralla - all you can do is be there for him if he wants your help. You cannot live his life for him, he has to make his own way.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

you cannot help him unless / until he wants to be helped... its hard but you're just going to have to deal with it.
  • Options
    He may well go down that road Matt. However, he may not. Not everyone who gets themselves a habit steals to support it. Not everyone who uses opiods gets themselves a habit.

katralla - all you can do is be there for him if he wants your help. You cannot live his life for him, he has to make his own way.

:yes: sumed up there....just let him know your there and keep voicing your concern...thats about all you can do...
  • Options
    apparently his shrink says that the methadone may actually help with his paranoia, and keep away any amphetamine cravings.