Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homer homage ruffles Pagans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really cant see why anyone would have a problem with this, i mean it put a smile on my face when i see it

Link

Comments

• Options
    I am no pagan but have a problem with the comercial defacing, however temporary it might be, of historic sites or beauty spots.

It's cheap and it's tacky. But money talks, as ever...
  • Options
    At least homer isn't rude :P
  • Options
    Homer looks less ridiculous than the giant...
  • Options
    Corporate vandalism.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Corporate vandalism.

Exactly.

It's disgusting.

Simpsons isn't even British.
  • Options
    I think its quite funny- its not done any harm and it'll wash off soon enough.
  • Options
    The same could be said of a giant McDonalds billboard erected on the roof of Buckingham Palace for a week could it not?
  • Options
    I'd suggest that perhaps Buckingham Palace and a field are slightly different- everyone has their own opinions of course but to me it's just not a big deal!
  • Options
    I preferred it when Gail Porter's bum was projected on the Houses Of Parliament.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    I'd suggest that perhaps Buckingham Palace and a field are slightly different- everyone has their own opinions of course but to me it's just not a big deal!

It's not just a field though is it?
  • Options

field with a picture on, it's only temporary anyway and proves how much the simpsons movie is being milked
  • Options
    It's not pagan anyway is it - I thought they recently ultra sounded and dated it properly. It's supposedly the classic Roman Heracles (the fleece/lion skin has faded from the left hand)

Rude4.jpg

So in a way, it's actual a massive symbol of imperialism and oppression that commerates the massacre and subjugation of the pagans under the Roman sword, massive symbol to show the Pagan's and Celts who their new gods were...

Hmm, Homer doesn't seem so bad.
  • Options
    The one they've painted Homer on is, it's the one next to it that's a little bit more ;p.

I think it's a bit ridiculous tbh, I disapprove (partly because I don't even like the Simpsons) but I think the pagans are overreacting a bit. The amount of rain that we've been having recently means it'll probably be gone in a couple of days.
  • Options
    I kind of agree - but to be fair to the Pagans they are just going - 'oh let's organise a dance and hope it rains', so not a massive over-reaction and it does get them into the newspapers for a bit of publicity.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    It's not pagan anyway is it - I thought they recently ultra sounded and dated it properly. It's supposedly the classic Roman Heracles (the fleece/lion skin has faded from the left hand)

Rude4.jpg

So in a way, it's actual a massive symbol of imperialism and oppression that commerates the massacre and subjugation of the pagans under the Roman sword, massive symbol to show the Pagan's and Celts who their new gods were...

Hmm, Homer doesn't seem so bad.

I'm off the view it was a 17th century folly
  • Options
    I kind of agree - but to be fair to the Pagans they are just going - 'oh let's organise a dance and hope it rains', so not a massive over-reaction
    Shame, really. Had the pagans decided to do a mass urination on the cartoon to erase the damned thing, it would have been a far more striking message to 20th Century Fox :D
  • Options
    I'm off the view it was a 17th century folly

it is
  • Options
    yeah I'm only taking the piss a bit - it's certainly only a few hundred years old based on recorded evidence of its exsistance - unlike the White Horse.
  • Options
    I think that some people should get a sense of proportion about a temporary piece of "art".
  • Options
    it's seen as a fertility symbol for modern day pagan, but being a modern day pagan myself, i'm not offended, but if i was spiritualy draw to it, then i could understand how people would be a little upset, more for the fact that it's vandalism of a beauty spot, rather than defacing a site of spiritual importance...

If on the other hand they were going to bulldoze stonehenge, or somewhere else that i find very important then i would be upset...but then we would most likely just do some kind of protection ritual for the site and hope that the planning permission is denied...

thats just how us pagans are...pretty laid back
  • Options
    yeah I'm only taking the piss a bit - it's certainly only a few hundred years old based on recorded evidence of its exsistance - unlike the White Horse.

Which is kinda ironic given that so is paganism....
  • Options
    I think that some people should get a sense of proportion about a temporary piece of "art".
    The pagans perhaps might.

I myself am not outraged but still think it's crass. The biggest problem with it is that it is not an attempt at art. It is in effect an advertisement for a private business.
  • Options
    HomerChalk.gif
  • Options
    Which is kinda ironic given that so is paganism....

Uhm no it isn't. Paganism is one of the oldest belief systems in the world, unless you're talking specifically about the Druid Reneissance (which was not really a 'folly', but a revival of ideas the Celtic Druids were assumed to have had).
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Uhm no it isn't. Paganism is one of the oldest belief systems in the world, unless you're talking specifically about the Druid Reneissance (which was not really a 'folly', but a revival of ideas the Celtic Druids were assumed to have had).

The key word there being 'assumed'.
  • Options
    Unfortunately not, I found it on b3ta :heart:
  • Options
    The key word there being 'assumed'.

The key point being made that you should revise your knowledge of Paganism before you mock it. I doubt you were talking about the Druid reneissance otherwise you would have said 'Druid' and not 'Pagan', which are both very different things.

Sorry to be picky there, but am just backing my Pagan mates up (and myself to an extent).
  • Options
    it's seen as a fertility symbol for modern day pagan, but being a modern day pagan myself, i'm not offended, but if i was spiritualy draw to it, then i could understand how people would be a little upset, more for the fact that it's vandalism of a beauty spot, rather than defacing a site of spiritual importance...
    See I identify as a Pantheist and I do find it offensive. It is a fertility symbol for modern day Pagans, regardless of its history. What matters is that a lot of people feel connected to it spiritually and nobody bothered to check if they would be offended or not (I assume?).

Basically what they have done is taken an area of outstanding natural beauty and a place of spiritual significance and put a low brow corporate cartoon there. It is not funny, it is not clever... It is just a money making scheme which happens to have ruffled feathers. It's a matter of respect really. I mean why don't we just project it on to a Mosque? What would happen then?

I don't feel connected to the site especially, it is not of importance to me... But I do see that it has upset some people and feel these people deserve an appology.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    The key point being made that you should revise your knowledge of Paganism before you mock it. I doubt you were talking about the Druid reneissance otherwise you would have said 'Druid' and not 'Pagan', which are both very different things.

Sorry to be picky there, but am just backing my Pagan mates up (and myself to an extent).
    Pagans certainly don't deserve any more scorn than members of the Big Three religions.

I wonder if the same 'lighten up, it's only for a laugh' comments would have been smade if the chalk figure in question had been painted over Westminster Abbey :chin:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Pagans certainly don't deserve any more scorn than members of the Big Three religions.

I wonder if the same 'lighten up, it's only for a laugh' comments would have been smade if the chalk figure in question had been painted over Westminster Abbey :chin:

Aladdin someone's taken over your account - you're being given an open target to scorn a religion and missing a goal.

And it was painted over the figure, but next to it. It's a pretty major difference...