Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

They're our organs now

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mwahahahahahahaaa. Okay, not yet, but probably soon. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    As long as its possible to opt out I don't see a problem...
  • Options
    Personally i dont care about my organs when I die. Im not going to need them so I would be happy to let someone else have them. Im not totally comfortable with the government having the final say in people giving up their organs...perhaps people should be encouraged more but not forced.
  • Options
    Good move, and about time too.
  • Options
    It's a good idea. Only 24% of the population are actually registered as donors. If someone has a problem with it, they can opt out.
  • Options
    I don't know why but I thought the opt-out system came in years ago!

I have always been more than happy to donate all organs except for my corneas...
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I have always been more than happy to donate all organs except for my corneas...

Don't want to be a blind ghost?
  • Options
    I think it's a really good move.

People who want to can still opt out, but if it actually comes in then it will at least mean that more people can benefit from those who really aren't fussed what happens to their organs.
  • Options
    I'm an organ donor anyway so it doesn't bother me- but I think its a worthwhile move. As Flashman's Ghost said, so long as you can opt out its not gonna bother anyone really
  • Options
    Does organ donation automatically go to people who need it, or does it sometimes get used for scientific research instead?
  • Options
    Does organ donation automatically go to people who need it, or does it sometimes get used for scientific research instead?

From what I understood it went to people who need organs- although I'd be just as happy for mine to be used for research purposes, especially as I don't agree with vivisection.
  • Options
    It wouldn't surprise me if shitty organs were actually more use for scientific research. Help understand what fucks them up more. But that's an interesting point. Will this then extend to whole bodies being able to be used for scientific research unless someone states otherwise? I think a lot of people with rare terminal diseases agree to this actually, especially if it's something that's incurable at the moment.
  • Options
    Don't want to be a blind ghost?

Something like that ;)
  • Options
    I probably sound like I'm being a selfish bitch but I don't really know if I want to share my body parts! I know I'll be dead but at my funeral it would be nice and maybe a bit weird for people to be able to say goodbye and that without my face and body being all fucked up.

but then again if it means saving lifes then i guess thats the right thing to do.
  • Options

What's the difference? I'd be just as happy that my kidneys could help thousands than just one person...
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on this, hence why there would be an opt out, and I suspect that almost everyone in favour of organ donation respects that some people disagree and supports the opt out possibilty.

From my understanding of organ donation, the priority is for them to go to someone who needs them, but if they are unsuitable then they may go to research.
  • Options
    I probably sound like I'm being a selfish bitch but I don't really know if I want to share my body parts! I know I'll be dead but at my funeral it would be nice and maybe a bit weird for people to be able to say goodbye and that without my face and body being all fucked up.

but then again if it means saving lifes then i guess thats the right thing to do.

As long as you (or your family if you've made your wishes known) can opt out that should be fine.

The problem is that most people don't discuss ot with their family and when someone's just died a lot of people aren't in the right mood to talk about bits of their loved one with being chopped out.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    Same here as it goes. Someone once said a lot of love went into my eyes and then there's the notion that they are the doorway to the soul which kind of makes me think it's a bit immoral of me to give someone eyes that will make them look as though they have a soul or a heart when in actual fact they may be lacking either one.

I really thought about this didn't I? :angel:

Pretty much the same reason as me :)

My eyes have shown the way through my life and for that reason they are to stay...
  • Options
    Pretty much the same reason as me :)

My eyes have shown the way through my life and for that reason they are to stay...

Same !

I never knew anything about sharing eyes? I'd rather not if that was okay with them because my eyes are one of my best bits and always have that bit of mystery to them. PLus I always think eyes are unique and soulful and stuff.
  • Options
    Same !

I never knew anything about sharing eyes? I'd rather not if that was okay with them because my eyes are one of my best bits and always have that bit of mystery to them. PLus I always think eyes are unique and soulful and stuff.

It isn't the eye you can donate, it is the cornea... a specific part of the eye which can be very successful in transplant...
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    especially as I don't agree with vivisection.

Lol a dead organ isn't going to be of much use to a vivisectionist.
  • Options
    It isn't the eye you can donate, it is the cornea... a specific part of the eye which can be very successful in transplant...

It would bother me if someone took my corneas- luckily mine are so fucked from years of wearing contact lenses that no-one will want them! They can have any other part though- I've got no sentimental attachment to my liver or kidneys or anything like that. Wouldn't even care if they took my brain!
  • Options
    The brain plays a far more major part in your vision than the eyes do. I'd be mortified (even more so from the grave ;)) if someone took my brain after I died.
  • Options
    They can have what they want of me, but if my family had a problem with it then that's up to them and when I'm dead I'd be happy with them making the final choice over what happened to my bodybits.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that is no longer the case.

I seem to recall that it was a fairly recent change, that if you said you wanted to be an organ donor, then one you shall be and your family can no longer go against your wishes.
  • Options
    Not sure where I stand on this. My biggest fear is that they figure out a way to re-animate dead flesh and they'll bring me back to life but I won't have any eyes.

Anyways, when I die, I'm off to the taxidermist.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that is no longer the case.

I seem to recall that it was a fairly recent change, that if you said you wanted to be an organ donor, then one you shall be and your family can no longer go against your wishes.
    That's not what I meant - I'm happy to be an organ donor, but if, after I died, my family didn't want me to then I'd have no problem with them saying no.
  • Options
    What will happen if my relatives object?

We know that in most cases families will agree to donation if they knew that was their loved one's wish. If the family, or those closest to the person who has died, object to the donation when the person who has died has given their explicit permission, either by telling relatives, close friends or clinical staff, or by carrying a donor card or registering their wishes on the NHS Organ Donor Register, healthcare professionals will discuss the matter sensitively with them. They will be encouraged to accept the dead person's wishes and it will be made clear that they do not have the legal right to veto or overrule those wishes. There may, nevertheless, be cases where it would be inappropriate for donation to go ahead.

I was right.

The whole site is really good, you can register to be a donor there and the info / questions bit is really good.

Questions about organ donation
  • Options
    That's not what I meant - I'm happy to be an organ donor, but if, after I died, my family didn't want me to then I'd have no problem with them saying no.

What I was trying to say is that if you are happy to be an organ donor, and go on to register to be one, then your family can't say no.
  • Options
    I got that part, I was explaining how it wasn't what I meant. Maybe I should phrase it like, I'm happy to be an organ donor, but if my family weren't happy with it in a discussion we'd had before I died then I would consider changing my donation because of their opinions.
  • Options
    Gotcha.

I'm having a very very blonde bad day.