Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is there anyway...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
... of tracing your national insurance number?

It's a long stupid story (and isn't as bad as this thread makes it sound!) but basically I need my mates national insurance number but she's on holiday :rolleyes:

Anyway I or the people that need it could trace it?

Comments

• Options
    found this:

If you can?t find it, and now don?t know your NI number, you should contact your nearest Inland Revenue National Insurance Contributions of?ce, or DWP of?ce or, in Northern Ireland, the Department for Social Development. They will set up an interview with you to prove who you are, and give you another card.

more if you've lost it though.
  • Options
    a wage slip?
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote: »
    found this:

If you can?t find it, and now don?t know your NI number, you should contact your nearest Inland Revenue National Insurance Contributions of?ce, or DWP of?ce or, in Northern Ireland, the Department for Social Development. They will set up an interview with you to prove who you are, and give you another card.

more if you've lost it though.

It's not for her, it's her friends that she needs. She can't go and pretend to be someone she isn't.
  • Options
    sorry - wasn't suggesting she did, i was pointing out that if her friend doesnt know it, it seems to be quite hard for someone else to find it out for her.
  • Options
    ask her sibling what theirs is, the letter at the end will be different depending on whether your friend is older or younger.
  • Options
    She's a bit stupid for not knowing it, I haven't a clue where my card is but I still know the number.
  • Options
    Why should everyone know their National Insurance number?

Depending on what you you do employment wise you may rarely come across it other than as one of the many numbers on a payslip.

I have no idea what mine is, the only way I could tell you is if I dug out my payslips (or went and asked payroll).
  • Options
    My friend knows her NI number. I know where she'll have it like, I've seen it before. But I can't get into her house/car because she's in Turkey. Then she comes home for a couple of days then goes away with me, and that's when she needs it for.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    ask her sibling what theirs is, the letter at the end will be different depending on whether your friend is older or younger.

I would. But her siblings are all alot older and I know none of them. Tsh.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    It's a long stupid story (and isn't as bad as this thread makes it sound!) but basically I need my mates national insurance number but she's on holiday.
    Forgive me for asking the obvious, but why do you need someone else's NI number?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Forgive me for asking the obvious, but why do you need someone else's NI number?

Bassssically. She's away in Turkey atm. Then a few days after she gets back, she's going with me to Corfu. She's got all her holiday insurance for both, but for Corfu she needs an e111 card. She totally forgot to do it before she went, so I need to do it for her now. I can do it over the internet fine, but I need her NI number, and she doesn't know it off the top of her head and has nothing with her in Turkey to tell her.

I know it's on her bank statements, and I know where they are, but obviously I can't get to them! :)
  • Options
    If your mate has brothers/sisters can't she call them and ask them to get it from their house for her and then she can text it to you or something? Surely they will have keys to the house...?
  • Options
    silverhalo wrote: »
    Surely they will have keys to the house...?

Nope, not likely to happen! (again, long story, but it's not my place to tell that one)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I odnt know much about the e111 but can you call them and ask if it is ok to call with it when she gets back?
    Or can she fill it out when she gets back?
    You should be able to as people book late deals, and sometimes dont know where they are going until the day before.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I odnt know much about the e111 but can you call them and ask if it is ok to call with it when she gets back?
    Or can she fill it out when she gets back?
    You should be able to as people book late deals, and sometimes dont know where they are going until the day before.

Done that. :) They've told me to get her to ring her doctors. That's useful, as she is still in bloody Turkey. :) Ahh I give up haha.
  • Options
    Well, you've done your best. If you can contact her, you'll just have to tell h er that she needs to ring her docs and then get back to you.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Done that. :) They've told me to get her to ring her doctors. That's useful, as she is still in bloody Turkey. :) Ahh I give up haha.

why does she need to call her docs? :confused:
  • Options
    RIng her doctors up, pretend to be her and ask for to be reminded what 'your' NHS number is. You should be able to use that to get EHIC.
  • Options
    RIng her doctors up, pretend to be her and ask for to be reminded what 'your' NHS number is. You should be able to use that to get EHIC.

Ha, I'm glad someone suggested that, I felt naughty doing it off my own back. Saying that, I have to ring the mobile company and bank for my other mate pretending to be her because she's completely dim so I suppose it's the same principle :)

EDIT: That was wayyyy too easy. I was expecting to be asked all sorts of security questions (date of birth, doctor's name, address etc) but no.
  • Options
    EDIT: That was wayyyy too easy. I was expecting to be asked all sorts of security questions (date of birth, doctor's name, address etc) but no.

Scary isn't it. Doctor's receptionist people will give away all sorts of shit about you if someone asks- your prescriptions, purpose of latest visits etc.
  • Options
    Why should everyone know their National Insurance number?

Depending on what you you do employment wise you may rarely come across it other than as one of the many numbers on a payslip.

I have no idea what mine is, the only way I could tell you is if I dug out my payslips (or went and asked payroll).

I've not used mine for 4 years but can still remember the number. I think it's a good idea to remember it, although it would be more so if it was a bit more important.
  • Options
    Thing is I never have to use mine, well used it possibly 4 times ever. Starting 3 jobs and the first time I did my student finance, if it came up more than that I probably would, but there's no way I can learn a number like that just for the sake of it.

As for GPs receptionists, their confidentiality and security is shockingly bad from my experience.
  • Options

As for GPs receptionists, their confidentiality and security is shockingly bad from my experience.

I know this thread is OLD but I just felt the urge to reply.

NI numbers and NHS numbers are not the same thing, but they've been used interchangeably in this thread.

As for GPs receptionists, when I was one I used to ask extra security questions to patients and got a gob full of abuse for the effort! The job I do now also require extensive security questions to be asked, and people don't appreciate being asked them, especially when they fail!
  • Options
    NI and NHS numbers have both been used in this thread because either will do for he purpose of getting and EHIC (used to be E111).

It's not the security questions I have a problem with, well until they repeat all my answers to them which mean the whole waiting room get to know I'm on the phone and what I'm asking about and when my appointment is. Great for confidentiality and personnal security that one.
  • Options

It's not the security questions I have a problem with

It is for me! I rang up, got asked "OK, whats your date of birth?" and I told her... that was it! How is that secure? I'm going to know my best mates date of birth after all, and plenty of other people do as well I'd assume.
  • Options
    Well, yes, I have a big problem with the security questions, they are crap, but I wouldn't mind being asked them a) if they were any good and b) if the answers didn't get repeated so the entire waiting room can hear.
  • Options
    Well, yes, I have a big problem with the security questions, they are crap, but I wouldn't mind being asked them a) if they were any good and b) if the answers didn't get repeated so the entire waiting room can hear.

They really shouldnt do that. You should tell them the information and they should simply confirm it. (Can you tell I've just had a data protection update at work?) But some GP's receptiontists are very undiscrete.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Scary isn't it. Doctor's receptionist people will give away all sorts of shit about you if someone asks- your prescriptions, purpose of latest visits etc.

Are they even meant to know the purpose of your last visit?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Are they even meant to know the purpose of your last visit?

No i suppose not. Unless maybe you offer the information when you ring up ie. "can i see the doc i've got a cough".

Never really thought of that before tbh.
  • Options
    They really shouldnt do that. You should tell them the information and they should simply confirm it. (Can you tell I've just had a data protection update at work?) But some GP's receptiontists are very undiscrete.

Problem is, they confirm it by repeating it back to you. When their desk overlooks a tiny waiting room everyone gets to hear. Why bother confirming it unless they try it and there's a problem.