Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think I am evolving ... into a vegetarian.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I knew the name of a pig I ate once. Meat tastes nicer if you treat an animal better. If an animal is stressed my bacon isn't as nice.
  • Options
    For what purpose?
    Any. Except for maybe a wasp that was about to sting you.
  • Options
    A lot of "new-age tree hugging hippies" are actually very intelligent individuals.

You're just saying that cos you're one :razz:
  • Options
    I don't mind eating veggie food but I could never turn my back on meat, I need my monosodium glutamate fix :D
    There are plenty of ways of getting monosodium glutamate into a vegetarian diet should you feel the need to :yes:
  • Options
    But do they taste as nice?
  • Options
    But do they taste as nice?
    Well I've been a vegetarian since I was six years old so I don't remember much of what meat tastes like. But msg on crisps is tasty and its in some powdered soups and noodles and stuff. I have had it sprinkled onto my food like salt too in Brazil which tastes nice but the thought of how unhealthy it is made me feel a bit sick.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    So does having misgivings about how our meat is produced place me in the 'tree hugging' category?
    No, not at all. It's just that the way turlough worded it reminded me Eric Cartman.

I actually agree that you don't need to be a tree-hugging hippie (if those people really exist, I must say I've never encountered one) to care about animal welfare.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Well I've been a vegetarian since I was six years old so I don't remember much of what meat tastes like. But msg on crisps is tasty and its in some powdered soups and noodles and stuff. I have had it sprinkled onto my food like salt too in Brazil which tastes nice but the thought of how unhealthy it is made me feel a bit sick.

small amounts of seaweed is it's natural source

putting msg on food like salt is VERY bad for you, and makes regular food taste taste bland

some chinese people in my halls had bags of the stuff, looked nasty :s

i like meat and vegetables and fruit etc, would never cut any out - i do like it to taste nice

only thing i really restrain from is buying fish due to overfishing which is having a far more dodgy impact on the world
  • Options
    Any. Except for maybe a wasp that was about to sting you.
    Nope, unless it was going to kill me. Wasps don't sting unless you piss them off enough, normally by staying still they will not sting (the stng is self-defense, not predatory). But nah... I personally do not kill spiders or insects or moluscs as I'm fond of them.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You're just saying that cos you're one :razz:
    nah, I'm not really New Age, there's a lot about the New Age ideas that simply piss me off.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    (the stng is self-defense, not predatory).

Just want to point out that this isn't true.. Wasps are predators and their sting is not just for defence. Look it up.

It's true of bees however.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    Nope, unless it was going to kill me. Wasps don't sting unless you piss them off enough, normally by staying still they will not sting (the stng is self-defense, not predatory). But nah... I personally do not kill spiders or insects or moluscs as I'm fond of them.
    Surely you'd kill a mosquito? One of those ultra-irritating buggers you can hear doing multiple low fly-bys as you trying to sleep, with that horrible wheeeeeeeeeeizzz sound, and which will eventually feast on you and give you 2 or 3 bites if you don't turn on the light and smach the bastard into a pulp.

Regarding wasps, I know insects are no capable of malice but wasps do sting beyond any conventional concept of self-defence. I was stung when got up in the beer garden of a pub and started to take my plate inside. There were a few wasps around that day (but not any close to me or the plate so no threat there) and one of them obviously didn't take kindly to me removing my plate.

I have to say I have zero tolerance against the bastards and will go out of my way to kill as many as possible.

Arguably the single most pointless and useless creature that ever existed.
  • Options
    I'm a vegetarian and have killed loads of mosquitos. They are evil and spread dreadful diseases especially if you are in a tropical country with tropical diseases. I have however never eaten a mosquito.
  • Options
    i have no problem eating any livng thing that tastes good.
    if there were me and you and only one of us could survive ...i'd eat you too.
  • Options
    sorry i know this is only one tiny point in a whole interesting debate about vegetarianism, but i was just wanting to clarify something moonrat - do you mean that you wouldn't kill a wasp if you felt it was about to sting you, because the sting wouldn't kill you?
    Yup, but say a black widow crawling towards me... fuck that.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    i have no problem eating any livng thing that tastes good.
    if there were me and you and only one of us could survive ...i'd eat you too.
    :thumb: Straight.

"Evolving" into a vegetarian? Devolving. We took ages to evolve the ability to eat meat, don't waste it!