Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Schmoking!

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Hallo,

I was wondering, what is the deal with nicotine patches on the NHS? Are they ordinary prescription price, or are they free?

I have heard both, and I am off to drs tomorrow, and dont want to make a fool of myself by demanding free patches :D

Merci!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    don't do it! :(
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    don't do it! :(

I have to, Steven has said we are doing it together. 10 years of smoking...I will miss it! :(
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I have to, Steven has said we are doing it together. 10 years of smoking...I will miss it! :(

steven says steven says :(.

the game is called SIMON SAYS yanno!
  • Options
    ive gone since saturday without, piece of piss this quitting smoking malarky...well has been so far, dont know if its gonna get harder..

no patches, no gum, just cold turkey!
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    ive gone since saturday without, piece of piss this quitting smoking malarky...well has been so far, dont know if its gonna get harder..

no patches, no gum, just cold turkey!

:yes: Yeah go cold turkey Bunnie. Its a great feeling knowing you have quit with just willpower alone.

And Koe, it does get harder, just wait :p
  • Options
    well ive heard conflicting stories, i heard first few days were worst because of the nicotine cravings, and ive heard others say its after a week or so it gets hard....we'll see
  • Options
    The first few days were fine for me, then the ciggie monster appeared around the 1 week mark to make my life hell for a few days.

Guess its different for everyone really. If your finding it easy at the beginning it cant give you the momentum to keeping going when it gets hard.

Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    As far as i'm aware they are presciption prices so whats that about £6.40 now?
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    As far as i'm aware they are presciption prices so whats that about £6.40 now?

£6.85
  • Options
    Okie doke, that's ok (prefer free, but cannot moan!)
    Koe you will cave in once I arrive with my stressful aura! :p Oh and my ciggies! :p
    Cal, I have tried doing cold turkey and failed, so patches are the next step :)
  • Options
    Cal, I have tried doing cold turkey and failed, so patches are the next step :)

Mind over matter, fluffy one ;)
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Mind over matter, fluffy one ;)

surely a mind is needed for this? Mine went a while ago :p
  • Options
  • Options
    Koey says this, Koey says that... how you two ever lived before you met each other is a mystery. :p:)
  • Options
    Em you brave brave woman... I had no fags yesterday. I nearly cracked up, to a point that my mum ended up throwing a fiver at me and telling me to buy some and think of them as a present to save her sanity :D
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Em you brave brave woman... I had no fags yesterday. I nearly cracked up, to a point that my mum ended up throwing a fiver at me and telling me to buy some and think of them as a present to save her sanity :D
    You weren't ready for quitting then :p Don't make silly token attempts at quitting, all you'll do is reinforce the image of smoking as impossible to quit :p

Incidentally I have a quit smoking ebook which I can virtually guarantee will make you quit smoking easily, PM me if you want me to e-mail it to any of you :)
  • Options
    aaaghhh! I needed to see the nurse, but I saw a dr, and she couldnt do anything for me. :(

No patches for me.

I think I need my head checking!
  • Options
    What a weird practice. The nurse can prescribe but not the doctor...

Sounds like a cop out to me.
  • Options
    Would it just be easier to go into somewhere like Boots and talk to them about this?
  • Options
    I've been off the fags for 5 1/2 days now :yippe: (and to be honest, I don't feel remotely different...).

I've got patches on the NHS which is good as a pack of 7 cost about £16 normally. So with the £6.50 or so prescription price I've saved over £120 (but with 7 year's worth of tax money from my fags, I rekon I've paid for them and then some.)

I guess they actually work cos I'm not feeling any cravings whatsoever. But I'm going on my first night out on Saturday since giving up. Will be tough.
  • Options
    You can get them prescribed from the Doctor so you only pay the prescription charge.

Our surgery does a smoking clinic though and the nurse there gives out the patches for free providing you went along to see her every few weeks.

Mr Glittery has been off the fags for 4 months now, hurrah!
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I fyour on benefits like me (A low life scum bag sapping the fat off everyone else) then you get them gratis like.

ah really? So there are some perks to being bored shitless everyday of the week.

I think I am sending Steven to sort it as he has an appointment on Monday with his dr.

I am going off the idea of quitting, so I hope I get some patches soon before I change my mind!
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »

Good advice that!

I had already given up by the time I realised my mum had a copy of this book... I read half of it on a train journey though and found it very interesting.
    I know other people who its helped as well.

I gave up almost 16 weeks ago... the first week or so was pretty easy, it got much harder after that. Going down the pub was a nightmare the first few times.

I still get cravings now but its very mild and easy to fight off.

I think I will be happy when I can think of smoking as something I dont want to do... where as now I still kinda see it as something I have given up... something I'm missing out on. All in all I'm well pleased I have stopped though, its worth it!
  • Options
    I hate Allen Carr. So many people I know have quit with it, yet when I read it I thought it was a load of rubbish :grump:

Doofay, what is this Ebook you talk of?
  • Options
    You didn't follow the instructions properly then :p

I think the key thing with the Allen Carr book is to read it in long sessions myself, as it made more sense to me when I had it fresh in mind. It also makes quitting a positive experience for me, I couldn't wait to finish the book so I could stop smoking, never thought I could enjoy quitting!
  • Options
    Doofay wrote: »
    You didn't follow the instructions properly then :p

Yeah, that's what he would say!

I've read it 3 times. I just didn't buy in to some of his arguments. I also didn't like his arrogance. Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    Well I am on day 1 of the sticky patches!!

So wish me luck! :thumb:
  • Options
    Good Luck Bunnie you can do it !!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    :thumb: Go on!
  • Options
    Just to let you know I am now on day 4! I am allergic to the patches, so I am trying without, and it seems to be easier without them which is a bit odd!