Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Girl with boyfriend - worth persuing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's a girl that I work with who I'm interested in, and I know she's interested in me. Problem is, she has a boyfriend.

What should I do? I know I shouldn't try and do anything because it's cuntish, but I can't help but want to. Know what I mean?

Comments

• Options
    Leave it until/when she ends it with her boyfriend.
  • Options
    I know you're going to get all the usual 'leave her alone' type posts, but here's my take:

You don't always meet Ms/Mr Right when they're conveniently free and single. Life just isn't that easy. So I don't see the problem with liking people who have bfs/gfs, and I don't see the problem with telling them how you feel. What I DO see a problem with is cheating, so if she really is interested in you, then she's going to have to choose.

What I would do (in theory - I'm probs too much of a chicken in real life!) is to tell her that you know she has a bloke, so you're not going to do owt to mess it up, but you think she's really cool. If she wants to take things further, she'll have to break up with him.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    I know you're going to get all the usual 'leave her alone' type posts, but here's my take:

You don't always meet Ms/Mr Right when they're conveniently free and single. Life just isn't that easy. So I don't see the problem with liking people who have bfs/gfs, and I don't see the problem with telling them how you feel. What I DO see a problem with is cheating, so if she really is interested in you, then she's going to have to choose.

What I would do (in theory - I'm probs too much of a chicken in real life!) is to tell her that you know she has a bloke, so you're not going to do owt to mess it up, but you think she's really cool. If she wants to take things further, she'll have to break up with him.

Very sensible.
  • Options
    and dont bother if you're not in it for the long run, it would be unfair on her to confuse her and use her
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    There's a girl that I work with who I'm interested in, and I know she's interested in me. Problem is, she has a boyfriend.

What should I do? I know I shouldn't try and do anything because it's cuntish, but I can't help but want to. Know what I mean?
    Your wellbeing should be more important to you than her bf's, if you know she likes you then make it happen, show her you'll be better for her than her current bf, no point sitting there waiting for their rship to naturally end, accelerate it for your own gain.
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    Your wellbeing should be more important to you than her bf's, if you know she likes you then make it happen, show her you'll be better for her than her current bf, no point sitting there waiting for their rship to naturally end, accelerate it for your own gain.
    I hope to God that you get in a relationship someday and someone does this to you.

Pill'ed, let whatever happens happen man, if you get together though dont forget that she had a bf when you guys met, same thing could happen in the future with her and someone else...
  • Options

get her to leave her bf for him or talk her into cheating? That's just going to cause trouble. There's nothing wrong with liking her, sticking your nose and fucking with her relationship is not on. Completely selfish and stupid.
  • Options

Sort of agree, but it depends on the girl really.

I do think that there's potentially a lot of problems even with just telling the other person how they feel. Unless the girl is massively secure in her relationship (and even if she isn't doesn't always mean she's unhappy) then a mini bombshell like that might well set off paranoid thoughts in her head about her relationship and get her thinking about whether she'd be happier with the other bloke when the reality might be different. Or if he's really sneaky, he might come out with "Well if you ever want to talk about you and *enter boyfriends name* then I'm here for you", and it's all a bit of a mindfuck. Don't think this is really fair on the girl personally.

How long has she been with her b/f? And if she was up for cheating on him, would you push her away?
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Pill'ed, let whatever happens happen man, if you get together though dont forget that she had a bf when you guys met, same thing could happen in the future with her and someone else...

That's the chance you take with relationships, though, isn't it? You shouldn't stay with someone just because you met them first if you could be happier with someone else. As long as there is no lying, cheating or other general wrongdoing, I don't see the problem.

I do agree that if you're only in it for a bit of fun you should probably lay off, though.
  • Options
    Im not really sure what to say, just 'keep a line on her' by chatting and stuff but don't be an outright bastard by stealing her away. Your better than that. Just be careful how you go about it.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    get her to leave her bf for him or talk her into cheating? That's just going to cause trouble. There's nothing wrong with liking her, sticking your nose and fucking with her relationship is not on. Completely selfish and stupid.
    What. The. Fuck?? That's like saying if someone is happily employed at BBC then ITV have no right to go and poach them offering them something better because that's "selfish". I didn't say to cheat, I said to make her consider dumping her bf for him instead. At the end of the day you two could be a happier couple than her and her bf, and all this time she's still with him her life could be better with you instead..
  • Options
    That's the chance you take with relationships, though, isn't it? You shouldn't stay with someone just because you met them first if you could be happier with someone else.
    THANKYOU.

Life is about opportunities, if better ones come along take them, don't feel inclined to just stay stuck with your first decision.
  • Options
    What. The. Fuck?? That's like saying if someone is happily employed at BBC then ITV have no right to go and poach them offering them something better because that's "selfish". I didn't say to cheat, I said to make her consider dumping her bf for him instead. At the end of the day you two could be a happier couple than her and her bf, and all this time she's still with him her life could be better with you instead..

That's for her to decide. It's no ones place to start messing with a relationship because they're jealous. She could be happy you know? If she's not then it'll end.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    That's for her to decide.
    Yeah so I'm saying he should let her know how he feels, propose she goes out with him instead etc - then it's her decision what she thinks is best for her, stick with current bf or be with him instead.
  • Options
    Im not really sure what to say, just 'keep a line on her' by chatting and stuff but don't be an outright bastard by stealing her away. Your better than that. Just be careful how you go about it.

Good luck.

:yes: Stay friends, but dont make a move unless you know she feels the smae way (or dp the classic get drunk and tell her how you feel). Do you know what sort of relationship shes has with her boyfriend?
  • Options
    Life is about opportunities, if better ones come along take them, don't feel inclined to just stay stuck with your first decision.

It's not about the opportunity to upgrade. It's about the opportunity for you both to be happier.

It's easy to say that if she's not 100% with this other guy, she'll leave him, but in reality, people quite often stay with people they aren't suited to and aren't happy with. I have.
  • Options
    Yeah so I'm saying he should let her know how he feels, propose she goes out with him instead etc - then it's her decision what she thinks is best for her, stick with current bf or be with him instead.

Essentially, Old Jomery and Kaffrin said pretty much the same thing, and yet Jom gets flamed for it... :yeees: Sure the wording was slightly different, but I could help but think that a few people stuck the old boot in here just because of past postings.

I am in agreement with both Kaffrin and Jomery here. Let her know what you're thinking, and let her decide. Just don't do anything until she is single, then there's no real comeback.
  • Options
    I have to say, having been in a very long term relationship and wanting to be with someone else, I would let her know how you feel but only if you are serious about it and its not going to be a one nighter or a flash in the pan just because you think shes hot. Then its up to her to decide to either leave him or stay just friends with you, I wouldn't get into anything physical or heavily emotional if she hadn't split with her bloke because the guilt she is likely to feel might damage your relationship together.

I think that some people do need that nudge of knowing someone wants them to leave an established relationship, I'm not saying its right, but then I guess not everyone is strong enough to do the right thing all the time.
  • Options
    "You shouldn't stay with someone just because you met them first if you could be happier with someone else."
    How do you know you will be happier with a second person though? Why would you stay with someone if you weren't satisfied with them in the first place, if you see what I mean? I don't think you should settle for someone you think is alright but really you know you could do better, and then always be keeping an eye out for someone else better while with the average partner... because you're short-selling yourself. Unless I am being unrealistic and naive, and am soon to find out that things don't work like that :s
  • Options
    Luce wrote: »
    How do you know you will be happier with a second person though? Why would you stay with someone if you weren't satisfied with them in the first place, if you see what I mean?
    You're taking a risk and a gamble that the new option will be better than your current one, even though you're content with your current choice. Exactly the same as when you get approached by a headhunter and you're happy in your current job, taking a risk to move elsewhere but it could well pay off. Taking risks is integral to a good life. (And sitting here from 6pm-10pm getting myself in fights with people I don't know isn't!)
  • Options
    How do you know you will be happier with a second person though? Why would you stay with someone if you weren't satisfied with them in the first place, if you see what I mean?

People do things that defy logic because we are human and unfortunatley our hearts and feelings sometimes stop us doing the logical or right thing. There are lots of people out there in unhappy relationships that stay for the wrong reasons, I was one of them. I felt I owed something to my partner for being with me and putting up with me. I wasn't happy and even though I knew in my heart I wasn't happy, my friends and family knew I was unhappy without me telling them but I was very scared of doing anything about it.

I would say if someone was happy with their relationship then someone telling them they were interested would be met with a thank you, I'm flattered but I'm attached and given no further thought.
  • Options
    "You're taking a risk and a gamble that the new option will be better than your current one, even though you're content with your current choice. Exactly the same as when you get approached by a headhunter and you're happy in your current job, taking a risk to move elsewhere but it could well pay off. "
    Yet if you're content with your current choice, then there wouldn't be a need to take a risk to find someone you could be even more content with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    Also, I don't think that a relationship and a job move are comparable; with a job there would be quantifiable benefits you stand to gain if you take the risk of moving job (eg: higher salary at x amount p.a, more responsibility, higher job title etc) But with a relationship, you can't quantify the benefits you might gain... "sex 10 times a week instead of 5 with your old partner, dump him and choose me!" Exaggerated example but that's what I mean when I say you can't measure happiness quantitatively.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Essentially, Old Jomery and Kaffrin said pretty much the same thing, and yet Jom gets flamed for it... :yeees: Sure the wording was slightly different, but I could help but think that a few people stuck the old boot in here just because of past postings.

I am in agreement with both Kaffrin and Jomery here. Let her know what you're thinking, and let her decide. Just don't do anything until she is single, then there's no real comeback.

That's true tbh :yes:
  • Options
    The way i look at it is would you like it if you were seein someone and then some other guy told your girlfriend he liked her. You wouldnt be too happy about it so dont do it to somebody else
  • Options
    Why would you stay with someone if you weren't satisfied with them in the first place, if you see what I mean?

Because you were satisfied with them in the first place. And by the time you're not either you don't realise, or you don't want to realise (breaking up with someone, especially someone you've been with for ages, is hard) or it happens so gradually and subtly that you attribute the change to stress or the weather, or the current political situation in Iraq or anything you can to avoid admitting to yourself that this relationship you put so much time and effort into is over with a capital O.

Sometimes it just takes a metaphorical kick up the arse for you to realise that you and your other half are going nowhere.
  • Options
    Sorry, suggesting she dumps her boyfreind for him? Thats out of fucking order in my book. I cant beleive some people suggested that. Dont go there mate. Its sneaky, caniving, dirty rat ass policy. It's low! You dont need to do that. You also take the risk in pushing things in entirely the wrong direction. Not mentioning the reaction of her boyfriend in which where I'm from you'd receive a good beating down by him and his boys.

If she ends up coming onto you, then yes, take the chance, and tell her how you feel. But you'll feel better if she chooses you on her own accord rather than you telling her to do so because reason X, reason Y. Self gain is best gained through respect for yourself and respect for others. You'll be the better man to keep at bay until it gets close enough to talk about your feelings for each other. Dont force it by selfish suggestions.
  • Options
    Box wrote: »
    If she ends up coming onto you, then yes, take the chance, and tell her how you feel. But you'll feel better if she chooses you on her own accord rather than you telling her to do so because reason X, reason Y. Self gain is best gained through respect for yourself and respect for others. You'll be the better man to keep at bay until it gets close enough to talk about your feelings for each other. Dont force it by selfish suggestions.

I agree with this. Especially since you may feel insecure if you get with the said person that she could do it with someone else. If she comes to YOU then poss persue it, but dont force her to make decisions...
  • Options
    Box wrote: »
    Sorry, suggesting she dumps her boyfreind for him? Thats out of fucking order in my book. I cant beleive some people suggested that.

Nobody did.

I suggested telling her that he likes her. That's all. That's massively different to forcing anything.

Maybe you all live in worlds where everything is neat and ordered, and prospective love interests are always free and single at exactly the time you are, and always definitely interested. But in my life it never happens that way. Love is confusing, and it's messy, and it tends to happen at the worst possible time. You just have to make the best of where you find yourself.

Telling someone with a boyfriend that you're into her is absolutely not wrong. Doing anything with her would be. If she then chooses to leave her boyfriend, that's up to her, and IMO it shows she wasn't happy with the other guy, rather than that she's a loose-moralled hobag.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »

I'd never go for someone attached - I like to be someone's one and only from the start, I couldn't take someone's partner from them and there would be no trust. Wait and see if they split.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

:yes:
    Weekender Offender