Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why I hate Journalists...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here is an example.

Look at the headline.

The look at the figures in the poll which shows that only 4/10 agreed with the headline. So, that isn't actually what the poll concluded, is it?

What ever happened to truthful reporting?

Comments

• Options
    I think you'll find around 4 in 10 people are anti-labour conservative voters.
  • Options
    The "neutral and impartial" BBC are great masters at that sort of thing.

Did you see the article on BBCi about NHS Direct last week? Apparently "doctors" are angry at the "failings" of the NHS Direct service. They are "frustrated" that the NHS "refer too many people" to face-to-face services.

Funnily enough it was the GP services who were complaining (at having to do some work), whilst both the Ambulance service and A&E services were happy with the NHS Direct service.

The BBC, as I keep repeating, should be shut down and sold off to Rupert Murdoch. At least he's honest about his lying.
  • Options
    Here is an example.

Look at the headline.

The look at the figures in the poll which shows that only 4/10 agreed with the headline. So, that isn't actually what the poll concluded, is it?

Turn it around and 60% of the people don't - doesn't look too bad that way. :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Turn it around and 60% of the people don't - doesn't look too bad that way. :)

Yup :yes:

Its a cryptic headline :D
  • Options
    Appalling journalism that.

Though one of which the BBC is not the only culprit. Murdoch? He invented lying.

You should report it the BBC MoK:. It's certainly well below its standards. You'd only expect to see such things in the gutter press.

Here you are: http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/how_to_complain/
  • Options
    Can't be arsed really Aladdin, it won't change anything.

The press just seem to have this antipathy towards reporting good news stories about the NHS. Although this poll seems very balanced - 40% say no better, 20-odd% say "about the same", remainder say "improved" - when you factor in political bias...

It really pisses me off because people believe the hype...
  • Options
    Tell you what... I have just complained myself.

I look forward to their reply (if any).
  • Options
    This is a cynical attempt to try and distract us from the actual poll, surely. The NHS was until recently in massive debts, and that has only been sorted by cutting frontline services, mainly to save Patricia Hewitt's job. (mind you, that won't stop Gordon from giving her the sack later this week) Meantime, GPs are paid more and more money for not actually doing any work. MRSA is rampant in our hospitals, the amount of money spent on the NHS under New Labour doesn't even begin to reflect the meagre improvements, massive amounts of money has been wasted on "consultants" and overpaid, useless managers.

The only surprise is that only 40% believed the NHS is no better. Who were the other 60% they asked - New Labour ministers?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Truthful journalism doesn't make money, so truthful media companies don't make money, and don't stay in business long.

God bless Capitalism.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Truthful journalism doesn't make money, so truthful media companies don't make money, and don't stay in business long.

God bless Capitalism.

Not quite true. Reuters makes money and it prides itself on its unbiased reporting.
  • Options
    Its always been the case though, if you ask someone how the NHS as a whole is doing they are likely to say its falling apart and has never been so bad. Ask them about their recent stay in hospital or how they like the GP and a much much higher number are positive.
  • Options

God bless Capitalism.

A rather foolish comment given that we are talking about the BBC which is no way 'capitalist'.......:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Not quite true. Reuters makes money and it prides itself on its unbiased reporting.

And was caught photoshopping images.

Yup. Honest as they come.
    A rather foolish comment given that we are talking about the BBC which is no way 'capitalist'.......

The BBC generates a fair amount of revenue.
    http://www.bbcworldwide.com/aboutbbcww.htm
    During 2005/06 BBC Worldwide achieved sales of £784 million. It increased its profit before interest and tax to £89 million.

The BBC is a government backed capitalist venture. Governments worldwide back companies.
  • Options
    It is not capitalist becuase it would not close down if it did not make a profit over time. The directors of the BBC do not aim to make a profit in the same way private firms do, and they do not have the abiltity to as they have little direct control over their main source of revenue - the TV license........

The BBC is not a product of 'capitalism' it is the product of the state
  • Options
    The BBC is a government backed capitalist venture. Governments worldwide back companies.

Not really, Swiss Air was a government backed company, the BBC is a QUANGO (is that how its spelt?).
  • Options
    Quasi-autonomous non governmental organisation. I have no idea what the acronym is :D
  • Options
    And was caught photoshopping images.

Yup. Honest as they come.

Oh come now! Please be truthful!

Reuters purposely tried to mislead? No! A freelance photographer, Lebanese Adnan Hajj, Photoshop'd the imgages before submitting them to Reuters as genuine pics. He was dismissed as soon as it was found out.

And you only have ONE example of controversy in Reuters' 150+ years history? It's hardly an indicment of their journalistic integrity. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Here is an example.

Look at the headline.

TBH I tend to agree, and I work as a journalist. Not all are like that, but there is pressure to sex up stories to make them more newsy. I don't personally think I am guilty of it, but I have had stories I have written changed to make them more sensational. Very annoying.

For example, I wrote a story saying that the PCT was starting a scheme to try to reduce teenager pregnancies. One of the things they were going to do was start giving out free condoms at some youth clubs. I personally thought that is a good idea (especially considering all the people who complain about teenage pregnancies) and just wrote the story straight.

It was completely changed, into something along the lines of: "children as young as 13 will be given free condoms..", really OTT and sensational. :rolleyes:

BTW usually a sub editor writes the headline not the journalist. Sometimes the whole meaning is changed.
  • Options
    I love the way some of them trumpet in big headlines "FURY AT SO-AND-SO", leading you to believe that the entire country is in uproar about a certain issue.

Only when you read the small print you realise the fury in question emanates from one small group (with which the editor of the news organisation in question sympathises with).
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Its always been the case though, if you ask someone how the NHS as a whole is doing they are likely to say its falling apart and has never been so bad. Ask them about their recent stay in hospital or how they like the GP and a much much higher number are positive.

:yes: According to popular opinion the NHS has been failing since around 1949 and is due to be privatised any day now...

My experience with the NHS has been mainly positive (with one exception when I was a child and that was a personal mistake by a Doctor, not failing by the organisation)
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    BBC report admits institutional bias. These wankers need a kick up the arse.

Nah, they need to be shut down and sold off.

Still, most of them will be getting their P45s next year :cool:
  • Options
    Oh come now! Please be truthful!

Reuters purposely tried to mislead? No! A freelance photographer, Lebanese Adnan Hajj, Photoshop'd the imgages before submitting them to Reuters as genuine pics. He was dismissed as soon as it was found out.

And you only have ONE example of controversy in Reuters' 150+ years history? It's hardly an indicment of their journalistic integrity. :rolleyes:

True. Reuters did win an award.
  • Options
    4 in 10 could believe one thing
    3 could have no opinion
    3 could disagree
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6265500.stm

and now the BBC are making links between NHS staff and terrorists? Would it have been mentioned if they were all plumbers?:D
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6265500.stm

and now the BBC are making links between NHS staff and terrorists? Would it have been mentioned if they were all plumbers?:D
    I actually see that article as pretty fair.

That so many of the suspects are doctors or have worked for the NHS is significant and a little shocking. According to Wednesday's papers some cleric had warned more than a year ago about the infiltration of our healthcare system. The NHS angle is significant and newsworthy- and indeed reflected on most of Wednesday's papers. Only someone a bit paranoid or with an axe to grind could possibly read anything else into the article.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The NHS angle is significant and newsworthy- and indeed reflected on most of Wednesday's papers.
    Bloody hell. I know you guys in London can get the first editions before anyone else, but I didn't know you'd managed to already read and analyse everything they'd said inside them as well. :p
  • Options
    Well, there is this thing called "digital tv"

dr.evil.laser.jpg

that allows you to watch special news channels. These channels get first edition copies of newspapers and review them for their viewers before the clock strikes midnight. It is truly amazing.

:p
  • Options
    Well, there is this thing called "digital tv" that allows you to watch special news channels. These channels get first edition copies of newspapers and review them for their viewers before the clock strikes midnight. It is truly amazing.
    Outrageous. They never tell me anything these days. It took a few years before they revealed to me the existence of the abacus.
  • Options
    Dr Evil

Thats brilliant :D

On the subject...i think its pretty significant information that they were involved witht he NHS, mainly because its so strange.