Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

DSS Move to London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi ppl.

i want to move from gloucester to london. I won't have a car to drive myself, so i want to minimise the ammount of times i have to pop in by train.

what process do i have to go through in order to secure a DSS property advertised on a web site like gumtree.com

will i need to travel to lay down a holding charge and wait for a credit check?

what im basically asking is can i make this move in one trip to london. can i take charge of the property without seeing it? can i move in the day i arrive?

thankyou.

Comments

• Options
    anoynoe?
  • Options
    What is a DSS tenant?
  • Options
    Do you mean you claim housing benefit?
  • Options
    There's no such thing as a DSS property, so I have absolutely no idea what on earth you are talking about. Housing Benefit isn't administered by the DSS, either, its administered by the local authority so you'll need to make a new application when you move.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a DSS property, so I have absolutely no idea what on earth you are talking about.

Glad it wasn't just me. I thought I was in an 80s flashback TBH. Does the Department of Social Security even exist anymore?
  • Options
    Glad it wasn't just me. I thought I was in an 80s flashback TBH. Does the Department of Social Security even exist anymore?

Well you still see "no DSS" on adverts for flats to rent unfortunately.

ETA: Some of my post seems to have something to do with the DSS as the return address, not entirely sure of their role though as the housing benefit I get comes from Camden Council and the other benefits from the DWP.
  • Options
    DSS Tenant wrote: »
    Hi ppl.

i want to move from gloucester to london. I won't have a car to drive myself, so i want to minimise the ammount of times i have to pop in by train.

what process do i have to go through in order to secure a DSS property advertised on a web site like gumtree.com

will i need to travel to lay down a holding charge and wait for a credit check?

what im basically asking is can i make this move in one trip to london. can i take charge of the property without seeing it? can i move in the day i arrive?

thankyou.

Are you saying that you have found a place that accepts "DSS" tenants and you want to move in without seeing it? To be honest I don't think that is likely to happen as potential landlords like to see who is moving into their property. Most places require a holding fee while the credit checks are performed. Even with DSS tenants they usually require one month as deposit and another month in advance. I think in London that would mean you are looking at £2k at least. Do you know if the local council has agreed fair rent for that property or have you had a pre - tenancy determination done to ensure that sufficient housing benefit will be paid? I personally would want to see the property too and the area that it is in.