Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BS'ing on CVs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6755485.stm

Is lying on your CV really all that bad? In jobs where your qualifications are essential (Medicine, science etc) then of course it is, but in general work (factory, retail, callcentre etc) I really can't see the problem. The world of work is dog-eat-dog at best so anything you can do to get an advantage has to be worth it. It should be kept in mind that doing so is illegal but with seemingly so few companies bothering to do checks (I could name 3 well-known companies who don't check up), the temptation is very strong. Yes I've lied about my qualifications to get work - nothing like degrees or anything but I've gone on to do the job well.

Comments

• Options
    I think it is really, because those qualifications you put on your CV, someone has worked hard to get and you may get the job over them even if they are more qualified. Most people can do most jobs anyway, but it should be up to the employer to make the decision about who is the best person for the job.

If people lie on their CVs then they can't do that properly. A CV is a marketing tool but if everyone lied on them they would become worthless and companies wouldn't respect them.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it is really, because those qualifications you put on your CV, someone has worked hard to get and you may get the job over them even if they are more qualified.

I'd agree with that if it was relating to actual professions but for the types of job I mention (basic minimum wage jobs like barwork, factory, shop assistants etc) do you really think it's possible to "work hard" to get them?
  • Options
    People are going to lie on your CV, but it makes you look untrustworthy and some companies will fire you if they find out the truth. The only thing I edit off my CV is acouple of D grade quailifications but still put them down on any application form.
  • Options
    I'd agree with that if it was relating to actual professions but for the types of job I mention (basic minimum wage jobs like barwork, factory, shop assistants etc) do you really think it's possible to "work hard" to get them?

Well I doubt you'd make up qualifications to get barwork. Surely only making up experience would be useful for a job like that?
  • Options
    Telling outright lies is a dangerous game because things like qualifications are often checked out, but everybody "enhances" the truth about the jobs they did to make themselves sound better.

A CV is an advert- its OK to bend the truth a bit, but telling porkies is not on, and usually ends up with the liar getting found out.
  • Options
    Well I doubt you'd make up qualifications to get barwork. Surely only making up experience would be useful for a job like that?

That was just an example but there are plenty of other lower-end jobs that having extra qualifications (or sounding like you do) would be helpful.
    Kermit wrote:
    Telling outright lies is a dangerous game because things like qualifications are often checked out, but everybody "enhances" the truth about the jobs they did to make themselves sound better.

"Often checked out"? I beg to differ!
  • Options
    I think it is really, because those qualifications you put on your CV, someone has worked hard to get and you may get the job over them even if they are more qualified.

Just because someone has a degree (for example) it doesn't make them "more qualified" to do the job, in fact I hate this system of exams and shit... If you dont have them you're seen as nowhere near as worthy of a job as someone who has done some doss degree (im not bitter, im actually doing a degree I just think we have a shit system =P).

They may have worked hard to get their degree, but in the situations hes talking about (non qualification specific) that doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    If I had my own business, it really wouldnt bother me if a candidate had a degree. I know a lot of people with a couple of GCSE's who are very savvy and I would happily employ them, on the other hand I know some people who have been to good universities and seriously havent got a fucking clue.

I wouldnt lie on your CV cos thats decpetion, but most people are creative with words and use this to their advantage.

:thumb:
  • Options
    You're supposed to sell yourself on your CV though - I've got 'extensive experience in customer service' from doing a saturday job at the co op and volunteering with people. For basic jobs I can't see the advantage of lying aboutn qualifications on your CV. But say you were going for a post with an accoutancy or insurance firm, and you said you got a 1st instead of a 2:2, someone who may have got a 2:1 may be deprived of the job even though they did better. Fair enough - exams don't count for everything - but they still did better than you and like the OP said it's a dog eat dog world - why should you have the opportunity / job when you didn't do so well?

It's not a perfect system because there are plenty of people who did more to get their 2:1 or 2:2 than those with firsts, and are actually more capable. But that's for the employer to decide, if they have two identical candidates for example why should they pick the one who didn't do so well in their exams? They wouldn't at the end of the day (if the candidates were identical), so lying on your CV gives you an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't feel they need to lie to get a job.
  • Options
    They wouldn't at the end of the day (if the candidates were identical), so lying on your CV gives you an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't feel they need to lie to get a job.

Or maybe they'd be more impressed that you had the initiative to try and get ahead? Or that you wanted the job so much you were willing to lie?
  • Options
    Saying you've got a degree or A-levels or worked for a certain company isn't on, but you can be creative with the truth.

'I eat out regularly and enjoy watersports' when in fact you go to the chip shop and pay women to piss on you.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Saying you've got a degree or A-levels or worked for a certain company isn't on, but you can be creative with the truth.

'I eat out regularly and enjoy watersports' when in fact you go to the chip shop and pay women to piss on you.

Post of the week for sure.

I've bull shitted on CV's before, not about qualifications but about experience and intrests, just so I could get my foot in the door.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    like, what kind of stuff have you bullshitted about?
  • Options

I didnt have to provide GSCE/AS/A level grade proof to get my new job but I did have to provide my NVQ 2/3/4 certificates and accounts body membership certificate.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    like, what kind of stuff have you bullshitted about?

Who I've worked for, GCSE and NVQ results, that sort of thing. Done it a few times and never been caught out.
  • Options
    we were chatting about this the other day and it came up that someone my brother in law knew / heard of, used to put C. Prof after his name.
    people just assumed it indicated some high degree of expertise and academic standing, when in fact it stood for "Cycling Proficiency"
  • Options

Depends on the job, dunnit.

Till monkey jobs aren't checked out, but for every single legal job I've had I've had to produce my GCSE, A'Level and degree certificates.