Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Friend's birthday meal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wasn't sure if this was better in anything goes or here, but here it goes anyway...

It's my friend's birthday coming up later this week and she's invited me out as part of a group for a birthday meal. However, I don't know any of her friends at all. I know a few of them by name, but that's about it, and I can just see myself sat in the corner with my plate of pasta or whatever having no one to talk to. I'm not especially outgoing naturally, so an evening with a group of people I don't know gets me a bit apprehensive. Would you just go anyway, and hope for the best? Or should I give it a miss? I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I said I couldn't go, I'm just worried I'll have no one to talk to and will look a bit of a loner.

Comments

• Options
    Go, for sure. How can you make new friends if you don't make yourself do things like this?

I'm planning on going out for a meal for my birthday and will be inviting friends who don't all know each other. As they are all friends because I like them, I would hope they would all get on.

At least with a meal, you can always talk about the food, drinks, waiting staff, etc. Just go for it, I'm sure you will enjoy and if you don't, it's not the end of the world.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Go, for sure. How can you make new friends if you don't make yourself do things like this?

I'm planning on going out for a meal for my birthday and will be inviting friends who don't all know each other. As they are all friends because I like them, I would hope they would all get on.

At least with a meal, you can always talk about the food, drinks, waiting staff, etc. Just go for it, I'm sure you will enjoy and if you don't, it's not the end of the world.

:yes:

We usually build up such apprehension for such things and in the end, have a fabulous time. Go! Who knows - you may make new friends. :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Who knows - you may make new friends. :)

Exactly. For all you know, you could be sat next to a right chatterbox, who'll talk to you and get to know you all night anyway. I would go :)
  • Options
    With the other two, go. You'll have a few things to talk about regardless of anything else, like the food, the staff and your friend.

Enjoy
  • Options
    I'd go. I was in a similar situation last year and it turned out good. (apart from getting lost on the way and a friend of mine throwing something at me!)
  • Options
    I agree with the others that you should go. Why not have a talk with your friend beforehand and let her know you're feeling a bit shy. You could always ensure that you sit right next to your friend if you are really worried about it. I'm sure she will introduce you to everyone though and you'll probably meet some nice people :) Have fun!