Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

CV Photos

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are a few roles where being good looking, or at least well presented, might tip the balance in your favour and having a photo could tip the balance in your favour. Bars, clubs, pubs and to a lesser degree restaurants, can all benefit from having attractive people working in them. That's not discrimination, it's a simple business fact that people are more likely to go to the bar with all the hot girls/blokes working. I'm not saying it's a reason to hire an incompitent person over someone whose obviously way more qualified. But if I was running a club, it would certainly sway my decision one way or the other when everything else is equal because I know it makes money.

Most things though, I wouldn't bother. I was looking a a CV a while ago with the applicant including a photo in full sea cadet uniform. Oh how I laughed. It was about 6 pages long as well. The perfect example of what not to do on a CV.
  • Options
    A 2004 UK survey by the Royal Mail postal service of HR departments in large organizations in the legal, retail, media and accounting sectors, identified these other CV pointers...interestingly, over 60% of HR departments said that the inclusion of a photograph with the CV adversely affected their opinion of the applicant.
    http://www.businessballs.com/curriculum.htm

What should you leave out of your CV?

1. Photos - the only people who need to include these are models, actors, actresses and possibly air cabin crew.
    http://www.alec.co.uk/cvtips/whatleav.htm
  • Options
    What point are you trying to make? We've all agreed that it is standard for some professions and in some countries but not in others.
  • Options
    Errr...I'm giving people advice. I can stop if you like.
  • Options
    Nah, tis fine by me, just wondering why you felt the need to reiterate it so often and completely deride anyone elses thoughts on the subject and mainly ignore anything other than the average UK job.
  • Options
    Sorry, what? :confused: Are we reading the same thread? :confused:
  • Options
    About 10 years ago I got an application form for a waitress position at Little Chef, they asked for my weight and a passport photo :eek: . Never filled that application form in funnily enough.....
  • Options
    When I was applying for post grad courses in Europe I had to attach passport photographs with my application as well. As has already been stated, its not common practice in the UK but in much of Europe attaching a picture is standard practice.
  • Options
    About 10 years ago I got an application form for a waitress position at Little Chef, they asked for my weight and a passport photo :eek: . Never filled that application form in funnily enough.....
    Perhaps it was a precautionary measure to stop employees eating all the food :lol:
  • Options

Well they have to check I suppose. That little chef guy was a bit tubby

lclogo.jpg
  • Options
    didnt they change the logo of that to make it less offensive to fat people or something?
  • Options
    I think you might be right or maybe you thinking of Ronald McDonald who was sent to fat camp to lose weight ?
  • Options
    Like you said, I reckon they wanted to check my looks wouldn't scare the customers off and they also wanted to see if I was likely to eat all the stock :lol:

I wouldn't stick a photo on my CV unless is was asked for anyway. I wouldn't want to fail at the first hurdle LOL
  • Options
    I applied to a local cinema 5/6 years ago and had to attach a photo...never even got an interview! I'm not that ugly!

I've had to take passport photos to some job interviews for the security pass Etc...

I can't really see why someone would want a photo on your application...if everyone has a photo you're not really going to stand out...it's a little offensive in my opinion...

Maybe I should change the background on my CV from white to just a giant picture of my face...Maybe that's where I’ve been going wrong!
  • Options
    my dad is the manager where he works, so hiring and firing is part of his job. he always tells me to make my CV look 100% proffessional as when he's taking someone new on unless they're CV looks proffessional then he just throws them in the bin, he doesnt even read them.
  • Options
    I've never been asked to include a cv with an application, but at every interview they have taken photo's. Presumably as a memory aid. Although the whole application form and photo, if you're successful, is then passed on to the various managers who want someone in their department. I know speaking to my manager last year he definately looks at the pictures if there's nothing between candidates.
  • Options
    I always have my photo on my CV and have had lots of interviews. You will be judged on your photo so it can go either way, if you have a face that very few people will think negatively of then it will probably more help than hinder. My photo shows me in a suit/tie and shows I'd fit in well in a corporate environment, look the part so I think it's helpful.