Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

CV Photos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How bad exactly is it to put a non-passport kind of photo with a CV?

I need to scan a proper one of myself but I just want to get this CV out (it's online) as soon as possible so while I don't have a standard one I put a well... very good one of my face but there's a part of my horse in it. :lol:

Just wondering. If it brightens up somebody's day then that's cool. Maybe they'll feel sorry for me and hire me. :lol:

Comments

• Options
    Don't put a photo on your CV. Just no. Unless you're a model, applying for a modelling job.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Don't put a photo on your CV. Just no. Unless you're a model, applying for a modelling job.

Why not. The idea is to make your CV stand out from the crowd and this might just do that... I certainly wouldn't hold it against someone.

Provided they were clothed of course... ;)
  • Options
    Why not. The idea is to make your CV stand out from the crowd and this might just do that... I certainly wouldn't hold it against someone.

Provided they were clothed of course... ;)

It's not that it's banned or anything. I just think the only thing you should be judged on is your qualifications and experience. Not first impressions of your face. I just can't see how it would help, in any case.
  • Options
    Not include a photo?! :eek2:

Every person I've talked to for the past five years who has ever worked hiring people says to put a photo when submitting a CV. They say those get more attention and that they rarely hire somebody who doesn't include a photo.

In fact, most companies ask for photos when people submit CVs.
  • Options
    It's not that it's banned or anything. I just think the only thing you should be judged on is your qualifications and experience. Not first impressions of your face. I just can't see how it would help, in any case.

It's a psychological thing. It's harder to trust somebody you've never seen. It's not about picking out people based on looks. I certainly don't know anybody who looks good on passport photos. :p
  • Options
    Oh, and 15 minutes after I submitted I had a phonecall. :shocking:

Doubt I've got my picture to thank but wow, that was fast. I've also applied for two other jobs! *crosses fingers*
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »

Every person I've talked to for the past five years who has ever worked hiring people says to put a photo when submitting a CV. They say those get more attention and that they rarely hire somebody who doesn't include a photo.

Really? Are you in the UK? I have never heard of being asked to include a photo. What sector do you work in?

I sometimes go through the CVs sent in to my workplace and I have never seen one with a photo.
  • Options

:lol:

I'd have to agree! Unless the advert specifically asks for one (which I'd find mighty odd, unless I was applying for a part in Eastenders) I would never put one on. If they want to know what I look like, they can invite me for an interview!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    kaffrin wrote: »

I'd have to agree! Unless the advert specifically asks for one (which I'd find mighty odd, unless I was applying for a part in Eastenders) I would never put one on. If they want to know what I look like, they can invite me for an interview!

:yes: the only person I know who has a photo on their CV (and can actually pull it off) works in broadcasting. But saying that, it's interesting to hear your perspective.
  • Options
    In continental Europe it's pretty standard. If I was applying for another job here or abroad I'd put my photo on, I think it makes you stand out and certainly doesn't do you any harm... though I suppose it might effect Quasimodo's chances.

My boyfriend applied for jobs in Sweden recently and put photos on all his resumes, it's pretty much expected even if not required :)
  • Options
    We always laugh at people who put photos on. Mind if a someome fit applies it usually gets pinned up on the noticeboard with HIRE THEM NOW PLZ THX written all over it. So it could help your chances, depending on your fitness rating :naughty:

Mind, in my current bar job there was 2 positions available and 3 girls interviewed. We were all about the same in terms of experience etc, so the manager asked the two guys working on the bar which to choose. My friend got picked, I got chosen because apparently I have a nice ass :yeees: and the 'minger' got told to sling her hook :lol: Very pc I'm sure!!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    We always laugh at people who put photos on.

We do too! Especially if it comes across like they think they're a bit brilliant (which is easily done, cause CVs are 'me me me' at the best of times).
  • Options
    I've had four phonecalls so far. :hyper: Two of those are looking promising, one more exciting than the other.

I live in Iceland and it's standard practice to include a photo. Even the most mundane job applications ask for one. You can always choose not to include one but it's considered dodgy if you don't.

My father works hiring people and he says photos definitely help applicants stand out. I've also had many other people in charge of hiring stress the importance of including one.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    My friend got picked, I got chosen because apparently I have a nice ass :yeees: and the 'minger' got told to sling her hook :lol: Very pc I'm sure!!

Ah so the barmaid hiring joke i heard at the weekend is true then ?
  • Options
    Never ever put your photo on a CV, unless you're an actor or a model. It's extremely unprofessional.
  • Options

Utter utter nonsense.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Never ever put your photo on a CV, unless you're an actor or a model. It's extremely unprofessional.

Who are you to be the judge of that?
  • Options
    Utter utter nonsense.

Unless you live in Iceland, evidently! :yes:
  • Options
    Who are you to be the judge of that?

A couple of years spent working as an education and employment advisor.
  • Options
    Utter utter nonsense.

Can you be a little more condescending? :rolleyes:

I find the attitude in this whole thread a bit strange.
  • Options
    The only company I have heard of that asks for a pic in the UK is Aldi, and I guess thats to do with its being a European company (contiental Europe).

It might be common practice in Europe but in the UK I think the pc police could say its a form of discrimnation. Lets face it an employer is going to look at the pic and decided if they are 'hot or not'. Getting a job should really be about your ability, unless your a model etc. A few companies in the UK have even request you remove you date of birth from your CV, to help prevent age discrimnation.

:thumb:
  • Options
    A couple of years spent working as an education and employment advisor.

And why is your word so much better than the many people I've talked to that have worked employing people?
  • Options
    Can you be a little more condescending? :rolleyes:

I find the attitude in this whole thread a bit strange.

You're posting on a UK based board, so expect that people will write about how things are done in the UK. In the UK, employment advisors and recruitment consultants will tell you never to put your photo on a CV unless you're an actress or a model. Companies in the UK do not ask for photos on CVs.
  • Options
    And why is your word so much better than the many people I've talked to that have worked employing people?

It may be different in Iceland, but in the UK you do not put your photo on a CV.
  • Options
    It may be different in Iceland, but in the UK you do not put your photo on a CV.

Which is what I was saying and you declared as an utter nonsense.

If you're not judged on your looks through a photo it's bound to happen in an interview. Either way, if a company is that shallow applicants are better off elsewhere anyway (if they're so terribly ugly).

Thankfully I'm not shivering in fear of potential employers finding me ugly. If they do, then at least they won't need to hide their shocked looks in an interview since they can filter me out before. :)
  • Options
    Which is what I was saying and you declared as an utter nonsense.

You seem rather confused, but never mind.
  • Options
    You seem rather confused, but never mind.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I have never and will never put my photo on a CV. I've always thought its highly unprofessional for the proffession I work in. Qualifications and experince are a lot more important then being good looking or ugly.
  • Options
    Why are people saying it's "highly unprofessional" and something you should "never" do? It's no big deal, I promise you! Also, it's not to see if you're gorgeous or hideous, it's just part of the candid, overall-view they take toward potential employees in Europe. I know loads of German ugly fuckers who always put their photos on their CV and have had many job interviews and - amazingly :razz: - jobs. It's just the done thing, not grounds for a discrimination hissy fit.

Sure enough, it's not standard practice in the UK but it's not a mortal sin by any means. I've never had any complaints ;)
  • Options
    Generally it's not standard practise in the UK, although is probably is in some professions or for some companies.

I was asked to supply one for a couple of things I applied for (placements/scholarships/unis) because they wanted it as a prompt to remind them who was who after the interview process.

Different circumstances, different decisions, simple as.

As a general guide in the UK you don't do it, in other places you might.