Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

To anyone in favour of the death penalty

Italy inmates seek death penalty

Hundreds of prisoners serving life sentences in Italy have called on President Giorgio Napolitano to bring back the death penalty.

Their request was published as a letter in the daily newspaper La Repubblica.

The letter they sent to President Napolitano came from a convicted mobster, Carmelo Musumeci, a 52-year-old who has been in prison for 17 years.

It was co-signed by 310 of his fellow lifers.

Musumeci said he was tired of dying a little bit every day.

We want to die just once, he said, and "we are asking for our life sentence to be changed to a death sentence".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6707865.stm

Enough said.

I look forward to death penalty supporters' views on this.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw that.
    I definitely think the death penalty is kinder than a true life sentance.
  • Options
    tbh should we/italians/whoever really be paying for all these people to live a miserable existence where they would rather die, just to ensure 'justice' is done? surely the money could be put to better use...
  • Options
    two points;

1) Is one innocent person's life worth the expediency?

2) That which the state grants it has a right to take away. Life is not one of those.

3) If these people, who are obviously not having a good time of it, are so sick of existence that they would rather die, surely this reverses to some degree the arguement from deterrence.
  • Options
    two points;
    How did you do at maths lessons at school mate? :p;)
    3) If these people, who are obviously not having a good time of it, are so sick of existence that they would rather die, surely this reverses to some degree the arguement from deterrence.
    The death penalty has never been a deterrent. And it provides no justice either- the only purpose it serves is revenge. That is why it's wrong at every level.
  • Options
    maths
    awful
  • Options
    These prisoners should not be allowed an easy escape by the death penalty...u do the crime you pay the time....and i don't agree with the death penalty...who has the right to take away the life of another?nobody!
  • Options
    u do the crime you pay the time

Unfortunately were the ones paying for it not them!

Plus what happened to a life for a life, i don't really care what happens to them, if it means taxes are lowered then I'm all for it. Although i do believe that killing them is the easy way out and those prisoners have stated that, they deserve to suffer for what they have done, killing them avoids that.

Plus knowing you may be killed for a crime that you commit could deter people from doing such things.
  • Options
    Death penalty = easy way out, imo.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »

Plus what happened to a life for a life, i don't really care what happens to them, if it means taxes are lowered then I'm all for it.
    If your only concern is financial you should be aware that executing prisoners costs more money than keeping them in prison for life.

Though I find it a tad nauseating that some people should think financial costs should be considered when deciding whether to kill a human being.
    Plus knowing you may be killed for a crime that you commit could deter people from doing such things.
    Judging by what happens in the US that is not the case at all.
  • Options
    I don't have to pay taxes yet anyway and i wasn't aware that it would cost more to kill them, wouldn't it depend on the method used?

I wouldn't say it is nauseating i don't care what happens to such people, if they think they can do horrific things to innocent people etc then they should get the same treatment back.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If your only concern is financial you should be aware that executing prisoners costs more money than keeping them in prison for life.

You got a link for this?
    if they think they can do horrific things to innocent people etc then they should get the same treatment back.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    You got a link for this?

Prison is a form of punishment though so should they not be sent to prison for committing crimes because two wrongs don't make a right?
  • Options
    I don't think they should get it back. It should be what seperates the good citizens and law makers of this country from criminals. We will deny their right to freedom, we will prevent them from hurting innocents, but we don't need to stoop to the same level as them. But suppose it depends on your morality really.

In deserate times everything goes out the window anyway and if we were in a warzone or there was a mass panic because of nuclear attack / pandemic illness then the death penalty would return with full force.

Don't know who it was but someone said something to the effect that you should not judge a nation by it's most priveledged individiuals but by the least priveledged - meaning those below the poverty line and criminals (who are mostly below poor anyway). How we treat them is the most telling indicator of our humanity to others.

Those (not accusing anyone, it's a general sense) who would take away any form of human rights from convicts, and place them in detention blocks without space or food or anything, are the worst type of human beings, not the criminals (in my opinion).
  • Options

I think you'll find this is only ever true in twisted Mum logic when trying to get their kids to behave, the real world is much different.
  • Options
    I don't have to pay taxes yet anyway and i wasn't aware that it would cost more to kill them, wouldn't it depend on the method used?

Its nothing to do with how they execute, its more to do with the fact people wait on death row or whatever for years, make so many appeals that the length of time they are kept inside then combined with the death penalty is greater financially.

Edit: Ok, I do have some random facts:
    Report to Washington State Bar Association regarding costs

* At the trial level, death penalty cases are estimated to generate roughly $470,000 inadditional costs to the prosecution and defense over the cost of trying the same case as an aggravated murder without the death penalty and costs of $47,000 to $70,000 for court personnel.

* On direct appeal, the cost of appellate defense averages $100,000 more in death penalty cases, than in non-death penalty murder cases.

* Personal restraint petitions filed in death penalty cases on average cost an additional$137,000 in public defense costs.

From http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/
  • Options
    You got a link for this?
    I see that some facts have been posted already but here's another source:

http://www.deathpenalty.org/index.php?pid=cost
  • Options
    Strictly speaking its not the execution, but the other costs. If you went down the Chinese route it wouldn't cost more (and would save money). Despite all the well founded criticism of executions in the US it costs so much due to their legal safeguards, appeals etc (much more than when the UK had the death penalty).

That said the costs are irrelevant. There's no real evidence it works and plenty of evidence that people who turn out to be innocent can't be brought back to life....
  • Options
    Plus what happened to a life for a life

Some of us woke up and started thinking for ourselves:confused:
  • Options
    It's against EU protocal anyway...it won't be re-introduced.

This issue is more closely associated to the debate about euthanasia than the death penalty if you ask me.
  • Options

Plus what happened to a life for a life

not really an old testament kind of person, even if i dont like eating shellfish :p
  • Options
    Prison is a form of punishment though so should they not be sent to prison for committing crimes because two wrongs don't make a right?

Prison protects society from dangerous criminals though.
  • Options
    If prisoners want it then I'm even more against it than I was before hehe.
  • Options
    Prison protects society from dangerous criminals though.

If that's what it's supposed to do, it's not working very well. I'd be interested in seeing stats of what crimes our current prisioners are incarcerated for.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this Aladdin. I heard it yesterday and meant to post something.

Another nail in the coffin of the death penalty as far as I am concerned...
  • Options
    I still agree with it in some cases, it may only be "revenge" in some circles, but in other's it is "justice". It all depends on your point of view, I think someone who has just raped a murdered a baby for instance should be executed. To me, that's justice.
    It might not deter future acts of mindless violence e.t.c. but if it stops one sick bastard from doing it again then so what?
  • Options
    wrong thread:p

Someone was half asleep this morning
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I have managed to wriggle out of two fines for dropping cigarettes ends now. Ahhh the satisfaction when the man from the council writes to say your fixed penalty notice is now void. Nice to get one over on the fuckers:D

[SIZE=-1]Incidentally[/SIZE] if you receive a fixed penalty notice, my services are available at reasonably extortionate rates. :thumb:

Wrong thread? :p
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Wrong thread? :p
    Probably. I doubt he wishes he got the death sentence for that. :p
  • Options
    anyone who wants to die should be prevented from doing so. if death is what they want, then keep the murdering fucks alive as long as possible. thats the worst penalty for them.

i would be broadly in favour of the death penalty for murderers and rapists, except a) most lifers want to die and its crueller to keep them alive, b) its more expensive to kill and c) courts make some horrible mistakes and its hard to undo an execution.