Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm always on the lookout for something "better"...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If your so-called "mates" are laughing at you for dating what is allegedly a "fat minger", then ditch these tossers and find some friends who don't judge people solely on the basis of how they look.

:yes:

Goldersgreen - why does it matter to you what everyone thinks of your girlfriend? You're the one with her; not them...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

Goldersgreen - why does it matter to you what everyone thinks of your girlfriend? You're the one with her; not them...
    See the above post - personal reputation is very important to me, and a girlfriend can either raise or damage my profile.
  • Options
    So you won't go out with someone you trhought was stunning because your friends though she was a minger? :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    So you won't go out with someone you trhought was stunning because your friends though she was a minger? :confused: :rolleyes:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you never get a girl some people would say is "stunning" and the other "minging", they'd either be deemed ugly-to-average or average-to-fit. No problems with being with a girl people deem as average, it's just if you're with a whale you'll have the piss taken out of you behind your back and I don't want that. Whichever circle of mates you're in, people are going to think negatively of her which reflects badly on you, regardless of whether they gossip about it. I'm not saying this is right, in the same way people are judgemental of me based on my appearance from the offset, but that's how things are and you need to play the system.
  • Options
    Why does your repution matter so much to you? I presonally wouldn't care what others think about my boyfriend (if/when I have one) as long as we're happy, it doesn't matter...
  • Options
    Well presumably by your definition you would have to find a girl attractive to be with her? And presumably if you found her attractive, then your "friends" would not think her a minger, because you would only find an "average-to-fit" girl attractive? So I don't see your problem, except for the fact that you appear to define who you are by what others think about you.
  • Options
    Well presumably by your definition you would have to find a girl attractive to be with her? And presumably if you found her attractive, then your "friends" would not think her a minger, because you would only find an "average-to-fit" girl attractive? So I don't see your problem, except for the fact that you appear to define who you are by what others think about you.

:yes: My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    Why does your repution matter so much to you? I presonally wouldn't care what others think about my boyfriend (if/when I have one) as long as we're happy, it doesn't matter...
    Like I already said, personal reputation is of fundamental importance to be a success in life. Upon graduating I want a to be a high-flying investment banker in the City. Upon the successful execution of a multi-billion M&A transaction we'll have a black-tie celebratory event with partners and wives. If I bring someone deemed ugly then this will look bad in front of clients, work colleagues will take the piss behind my back, and inevitably my chances of early promotion are hindered. I won't be invited to exclusive parties if the hosts think I'm dragging a minger along. And this happens throughout the country, take the WAGs (wives and girlfriends) of the England football team for example, if the media deem them fit that majorly boosts the credibility of the footballer and helps give them self-perpetuating success - David Beckham wouldn't have landed multi-million sponsorship contracts if it wasn't for Posh Spice, Colleen has been instrumental to Wayne Rooney's generally positive public image, etc.
  • Options
    I have never once in this entire thread suggested that my gf is not fit. I have always gone out with, and only go out with, attractive girls. It's not a problem. This whole thing seemed to start with someone asking what I mean by "better", where I had looks as only one small part of the equation, so I have no idea why you lot are all grilling me on the topic.
  • Options
    You really do talk crap. What has having a minger for a girlfriend have to do with you not getting promotion? Surely you getting promotion would be to do with how much work you do; NOT whether you have a minger for a girlfriend...
  • Options
    You really do talk crap. What has having a minger for a girlfriend have to do with you not getting promotion? Surely you getting promotion would be to do with how much work you do; NOT whether you have a minger for a girlfriend...
    It depends what job you want to do. In the ones I want to do there will be a lot of meeting with clients and colleagues in social situations, where wives/partners are involved. If you think promotion is solely based on how hard you work you're in for a shock, it can more often be based on how you are perceived by clients/peers, which doesn't necessarily relate to how hard you work. Someone who is deemed as giving the company a good reputation by being lively, out-going, social but not contributing to a company's profit-line as much as someone who sits in the office working 14 hours a day, the former is more likely to be considered for promotion. I have interned at a top firm so know what the real deal is here, please don't accuse me of "talking crap".
  • Options
    Colleen has been instrumental to Wayne Rooney's generally positive public image, etc.

Hahahaha, Colleen was publicly taken the piss out of for about a year before the press realised that she's here for good, so they'll have to change their tune about her to get the exclusive interviews with Wayne Rooney. A classic example of someone not giving a shit what others think about his girlfriend. Thanks for pointing it out.

Everyone cares what others think of them, but they only care what relevent people think about relevent aspects of them. I couldn't care less what my boss thinks about my private life or my girlfriend, just like I couldn't care less about my friends opinion about the quality of my work.
  • Options
    I couldn't care less what my boss thinks about my private life or my girlfriend
    When I was interning my boss asked me if I had a girlfriend. I said yes. He said let's see a pic. I showed him one. He was like nice one she's really pretty, well done mate, you should get her to come to our corporate events etc. If she rubs him up the right way (pardon the pun!) that can only be helpful for my career, and vice-versa.
  • Options
    It depends what job you want to do. In the ones I want to do there will be a lot of meeting with clients and colleagues in social situations, where wives/partners are involved. If you think promotion is solely based on how hard you work you're in for a shock, it can more often be based on how you are perceived by clients/peers, which doesn't necessarily relate to how hard you work. Someone who is deemed as giving the company a good reputation by being lively, out-going, social but not contributing to a company's profit-line as much as someone who sits in the office working 14 hours a day, the former is more likely to be considered for promotion. I have interned at a top firm so know what the real deal is here, please don't accuse me of "talking crap".

Yes, being outgoing, lively, social, and everything else is extremely important in building contacts and getting jobs in the future. Believe me, it's exactly the same in social functions in filmmaking. The percieved attractiveness of your girlfriend is not important, however.
  • Options
    He could've just asked out of interest?
  • Options
    When I was interning my boss asked me if I had a girlfriend. I said yes. He said let's see a pic. I showed him one. He was like nice one she's really pretty, well done mate, you should get her to come to our corporate events etc. If she rubs him up the right way (pardon the pun!) that can only be helpful for my career, and vice-versa.

What, and you think that if you'd handed him a picture of someone he didn't like the look of, he wouldn't have had the same reaction? That's just being polite, and showing an interest in your personal life.
  • Options
    The percieved attractiveness of your girlfriend is not important, however.
    You lot can keep saying this all you want, for a lot of the Investment Banking industry it really is, and I know it for certain having actually got experience in the area. If you have any friends working in M&A, Debt Capital Markets, and other areas within banking that involve client contact, they'll all agree with me about how important your other half can be. Why do you think all these City bankers have had to pay £20m+ divorce settlements, because the wife was able to prove that she was instrumental to his career with such corporate events, was mentioned in depth in Evening Standard last week.
  • Options
    What, and you think that if you'd handed him a picture of someone he didn't like the look of, he wouldn't have had the same reaction? That's just being polite, and showing an interest in your personal life.
    If you see a photo of someone you don't think is attractive you'll just say "she's nice" or "she's pretty", not excitedly "nice one mate she's well fit" etc unless he's being sarcy.
  • Options

You really are up your own backside, aren't you Goldersgreen?
  • Options
    You lot can keep saying this all you want, for a lot of the Investment Banking industry it really is, and I know it for certain having actually got experience in the area. If you have any friends working in M&A, Debt Capital Markets, and other areas within banking that involve client contact, they'll all agree with me about how important your other half can be. Why do you think all these City bankers have had to pay £20m+ divorce settlements, because the wife was able to prove that she was instrumental to his career with such corporate events, was mentioned in depth in Evening Standard last week.

Just a quick question then, since this is your belief. Who would make more of an impression? A pretty girl with the IQ of a gnat, or who sat in the corner all night, or an average looking girl who was outgoing, fun, intelligent and made an effort to talk to people at the event? Would it make more of an impression to turn up with a girl that you were obviously into, even if she wasn't amazingly attractive? Or would it be better to turn up with a girl who is stunning, but leaves your clients wondering what you see in her beyond the physical, and perhaps even thinking you're pretty shallow?
  • Options
    If you see a photo of someone you don't think is attractive you'll just say "she's nice" or "she's pretty", not excitedly "nice one mate she's well fit" etc unless he's being sarcy.

So? She might be. That doesn't mean that because your boss said that, it will have a huge impact on his opinion of you in a professional sense.
  • Options

You really are up your own backside, aren't you Goldersgreen?
    I beg your pardon? How dare you. I've said nothing on this forum to that effect, in fact in another thread I'm being rather self-deprecating. Whereas you're the one asserting that you're right and I'm wrong about an industry you know absolutely nothing about, and I've interned in. At the annual ball the non-stop comments everyone were making were about how fit or not everyone's partners were. And funnily enough all of the senior Managing Director's partners were just stunning. Don't even bother telling me looks have nothing to do with career progression in industries where reputation is paramount.

I'm not going to be posting here if I get insulted for no reason. Goodbye.
  • Options
    I know who you really are...
  • Options

:yes: We've done all this before.
  • Options

And given the facebook spam and the use of multiple accounts I think we can close this account...
  • Options
    who was he Sofie ? Was it Jomery ??
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    who was he Sofie ? Was it Jomery ??

• Options
    Christ almighty, he needs to work on his esteem before he sets himself up with anyone.

Relying on wankers and bankers for self gratification? Fuck that for a laugh.

What a twunt.
  • Options

But I've seen a pic of Jomery and he isn't asian.
  • Options
    Or that wasn't actually a pic of Jomery, anyway the evidence is clear that it was the same account and we'd rather he use only one.
This discussion has been closed.