Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm always on the lookout for something "better"...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

For me women are like buses or whatever the phrase is. There can be long periods of drought when I haven't pulled in months, but then things go my way and I'm nicely set up in a relationship.

My problem is that whenever I'm in a relationship, even though I'd be really happy with the girl I'm with (otherwise I wouldn't be going out with them), it's not that I'm actively on the lookout for other "opportunities" but if they come my way, I will always actively consider them. ie if I come across someone who I like more who wants to go out with me I would consider dumping the girl I'm with to go out with them.

Is this natural, being happy with who you're with but "if something better comes along" to be crude, considering going for it? It's not that I'm not content with the girl I'd be with in the first place. Like at the moment I'm with a really nice girl I'd happily spend the rest of my life with, but another girl who's gorgeous wants to go out with me, and it's like I'd be kicking myself if I turned down the opportunity for something that could be 'better' (ie a better relationship, better sex, better future life etc).

Thx

Comments

• Options
    Sounds familiar. I meet guys but I never want a relationship and if I do end up having one then I still want to pull other men/consider dating them. I think I just haven't met my Mr Right yet and I'm just not ready to settle down. If you want to change then try appreciating what you do have. Or maybe its all a learning cuve and when you're ready you will be happy to settle down :)
  • Options
    I do think when it's something quite causual then what you're going through and thinking about is normal, so I wouldn't be beating yourself up about it.

Honestly, I think if something is "right" then you know it is and you won't feel the need to move on like you do now :)
  • Options
    It's not that I'm not content with the girl I'd be with in the first place...
    Are you sure about that? I get the feeling you aren't.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I get the feeling you aren't.
    In a sort of "I would be happy to marry and spend the rest of my life with her" way, but that doesn't mean there's not fitter / better girls out there. I dunno abt the Mr/Mrs Perfect thing, even when you find that special somebody surely there could be someone potentially better for you round the corner, and it'd be a missed opportunity to just say no if there's a chance they could be better for you.
  • Options
    In a sort of "I would be happy to marry and spend the rest of my life with her" way, but that doesn't mean there's not fitter / better girls out there. I dunno abt the Mr/Mrs Perfect thing, even when you find that special somebody surely there could be someone potentially better for you round the corner, and it'd be a missed opportunity to just say no if there's a chance they could be better for you.

Seriously? You'd be happy to marry one of these girls, but you're still on the lookout for something better? Contentment is not a reason to commit yourself for life...

It does sound to me a little like you're seeing women for convenience and because they're there, rather than because you particularly want them. If you genuinely had a strength of feelings for them, you wouldn't be on the lookout for something better - you would be 100% content with what you had, no matter how annoying they are or how many better looking people you saw.

As long as it's all casual, then i wouldn't worry - i suspect that as and when you find someone you're really happy with then it won't occur to you to look elsewhere.
  • Options

better for you in what way? Do you mean more good looking?
  • Options
    yes, i think its human nature to 'always want what you can't have' but once you have it you realise its not as good as it seemed and you want something else thats supposedly better...
    like the way people often fancy their boy/girlfriend's best mate as their out of reach to that person.
    I think its natural as your young (i assume...) and just having fun whereas, when you grow up a little and find the right girl who you truely love you will actually want to be with HER and only HER.
    I was always like you but at the moment im with a guy i REALLY like and when i see other guys i actually don't want to be with them, i never thought i'd have that, i think you just haven't found 'the one' yet.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    better for you in what way? Do you mean more good looking?
    Well, whichever way - better looking (yes looks matter to me), more sexually compatible, less fights/arguments, get to see her more (ie has more free time for me), better job/prospects (for thinking long term, can get a mortgage with her quicker), you know the usual.

I dunno, however great your other half is, and however content you are with them, surely there could always be a better opportunity which would make your life even better than it is with the person you're currently with, potentially..
  • Options
    As long as it's all casual, then i wouldn't worry
    Well I'm gonna meet this girl who wants to go out with me, if I happen to find her great then I'd consider ditching my current gf for her.
  • Options
    if I come across someone who I like more who wants to go out with me I would consider dumping the girl I'm with to go out with them.

Reminded me of this: http://www.laddertheory.com/ladderconstruction.htm
    :lol:
  • Options
    The Ladder Theory, endless hours of amusement!

Sounds to me like you're just not ready to commit. I think when you meet someone who completely blows your mind that you'll feel differently, but don't sweat it in the meantime.

I felt like this for a while. There comes a point where you have a kind of realisation that... yeah, there might be someone a bit better looking or more impressive to your mates out there, but you're actually a good, happy fit with this person. I imagine you just know it when you feel it. People hedge their bets in all areas of life, and this is exactly the same. You have to decide whether letting all these relationships (or potential relationships) slide on the off-chance that something better might come along is really worth it in the long-run. As long as you have no regrets and bear in mind that the grass isn't always greener then I don't see this as a problem :)
  • Options
    Well, whichever way - better looking (yes looks matter to me), more sexually compatible, less fights/arguments, get to see her more (ie has more free time for me), better job/prospects (for thinking long term, can get a mortgage with her quicker), you know the usual.

I think you need to realise the perfect person on paper doesn't exist. I mean, sure, hypothetically I would love to go out with a guy who is rich, owns his own home, is stunningly good looking (actually I wouldn't want to go out with a really good looking guy so ignore that one), easy-going, etc etc, BUT
    what about chemistry? I think the only thing you can go on is how well you get on with someone, whether you 'click'..cos if you finished with someone for silly reasons, those are the things you would miss.
  • Options
    For me women are like buses

What, pay £1.40p and go all the way ?
    :D

(sorry, couldn't resist any longer)
  • Options
    i was always like that til I met this one. then instead of thinking about every good looking guy i met all i thought about was him. and he's still all i think about 7 months later (well nearly a year since we met but 7 months since i um split up with the bloke i was with at the time :blush: ). i know it's a cliche but i think that sometimes people come along and change the way we look at relationships.
  • Options
    If you spent your entire life looking for someone who's "better" than your current partner, you'll just end up alone and miserable. Frankly, I think you see girlfriends more as trophies to put your arm round than as persons in their own right.
  • Options
    Frankly, I think you see girlfriends more as trophies to put your arm round than as persons in their own right.
    Don't know where you got that impression given I only mentioned looks as one of several factors important to me. But yes so what, it's nice to get 'respect' from the lads, nice comments from the girls, about how pretty a gf is; it really adds to your reputation both from a social and professional perspective if you can get great-looking girls!
  • Options
    Don't know where you got that impression given I only mentioned looks as one of several factors important to me. But yes so what, it's nice to get 'respect' from the lads, nice comments from the girls, about how pretty a gf is; it really adds to your reputation both from a social and professional perspective if you can get great-looking girls!
    "Respect" for the lads - is that what this comes to? Bloody hell, no wonder you're so miserable about this. I couldn't give a shit what anybody thinks of any of my girlfriends.
  • Options
    "Respect" for the lads - is that what this comes to? Bloody hell, no wonder you're so miserable about this. I couldn't give a shit what anybody thinks of any of my girlfriends.
    Why not, surely you feel better if people are giving you respect than laughing behind your back for having a "fat minger" or whatever.
  • Options
    Why not, surely you feel better if people are giving you respect than laughing behind your back for having a "fat minger" or whatever.
    If your so-called "mates" are laughing at you for dating what is allegedly a "fat minger", then ditch these tossers and find some friends who don't judge people solely on the basis of how they look.
  • Options
    If your so-called "mates" are laughing at you for dating what is allegedly a "fat minger", then ditch these tossers and find some friends who don't judge people solely on the basis of how they look.
    I didn't say they were calling my girl fat (I don't do fat girls :)) I was saying hypothetically.. come on now though, EVERYONE judges people on how they look, it's natural to.
  • Options
    Looks like Jomery finally got a girlfriend.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »

:lol:
  • Options

:lol: I think you might be right
  • Options
    I feel sorry for your girlfriend! You sound like a trophy hoarder, people deserve better than that!
  • Options
    I didn't say they were calling my girl fat (I don't do fat girls :)) I was saying hypothetically.. come on now though, EVERYONE judges people on how they look, it's natural to.
    Yes, everyone does partially judge people on looks. The way I see it however, it's a bonus if your girlfriend is absolutely gorgeous.
  • Options
    The way I see it however, it's a bonus if your girlfriend is absolutely gorgeous.
    Sorry to be crude or if this is a stupid question, but how are you supposed to get it up if she isn't?!
  • Options
    Sorry to be crude or if this is a stupid question, but how are you supposed to get it up if she isn't?!
    If you don't find her gorgeous and that's obviously very important to you then why are you with her?
  • Options

Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I find some people attractive, that doesn't necessarily mean I think they are drop-dead gorgeous though.
  • Options
    If you don't find her gorgeous and that's obviously very important to you then why are you with her?
    What are you talking about, I've explicitly said I think she's great, just that doesn't mean there's not better out there.
    Acrobat wrote:
    Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I find some people attractive, that doesn't necessarily mean I think they are drop-dead gorgeous though.
    Sure but some people are just..universally minging, period!
  • Options
    I couldn't give a shit what anybody thinks of any of my girlfriends.
    Does your personal reputation not matter to you? It's the most important thing you have to be a success in life.
This discussion has been closed.