Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Whats wrong with Islam.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think YouTube is full of crap but this guy says what a lot of of people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ZLXbKeL2U

This is the video that got the attention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhN6CG1zCRc

Comments

• Options
    No, he's not a racist; but he's woefully ignorant of the complexities of the issues he addresses and makes some ridiculously sweeping statements about the historical struggle of women.

I doubt he lives in an area with that many Muslims.

From his other video, 'The Trouble with Islam', on the other hand is just an application video for a Daily Mail editorial. That is irresponsible and the ridiculous ramblings of a wholly uninformed man.
  • Options
    i think his great, its about time someone stood up and said when most of the uk think
  • Options
    [quotei think his great, its about time someone stood up and said when most of the uk think[/quote]

2 years ago I might have agreed with you. Then I started studying and speaking with people in the Birmingham Muslim community, and things are a lot more complex than I had imagined.

Yes there are zealots, and yes there are problems with mosque democracy. yes there are conservative elements in the Muslim community, and yes there are issues around the role of women.

BUT; Muslims know this. They know this because, well, a lot of those Muslims without hooks-for-hands who don't make good television, you don't hear from them.

"We're sick of hearing from muslims" the video's author states; well I can refer you to plenty of Muslims who have similar views; they are sick of Islam always being in the media, and muslims always being in the spotlight. Specifically they see zealots and bigots (present in every human culture) grabbing the headlines while moderate community engagement doesn't get a look in.

What do you think SkyNews are more interested in; Mr. Khan from no.47's views on Mosque democracy, or the latest ramblings of Mohammed al-Kaboom the local nutcase and his ten followers?
  • Options
    Had to laugh at the guys assertion that Islam was a 'young religion'!

Nigh on 14 centuries young in fact!

What a moron........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the guys assertion that Islam was a 'young religion'!

Nigh on 14 centuries young in fact!

What a moron........

Well we all know that anything younger than Christianity is a "young religion" and anything older that Christianity is "no longer relevant to our modern lifestyle." :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Well we all know that anything younger than Christianity is a "young religion" and anything older that Christianity is "no longer relevant to our modern lifestyle." :rolleyes:
    But Islam is older than Christianity. Maybe not older than Judaism, but it's older than Christianity, 'cause it talks about all the same people as are in the Old Testament.

I think....this is going way back to GCSE RE lessons...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote: »
    But Islam is older than Christianity. Maybe not older than Judaism, but it's older than Christianity, 'cause it talks about all the same people as are in the Old Testament.

Actually, I remembe reading that Islam began as a branch of Christinity, like the latter began as a branch of Judaism. Islam has Jesus as a prophet.
  • Options
    Actually, I remembe reading that Islam began as a branch of Christinity, like the latter began as a branch of Judaism. Islam has Jesus as a prophet.
    Really? Where did you read that? I spent two years doing Islam and Christianity, and I don't remember learning that :p.
  • Options
    muhammad started it in the 7th century i think
  • Options

:confused:

Evidence?

There are 1.4 billion Muslims in the world, it's not a single monolith. There are many various strands, this guy seems to think all Muslims think the same and all male Muslims agree with women having their faces covered and stuff like that. Bit full of himself, he did make some interesting ponts in his reply video though.
  • Options

Islam is not older than Christianity. They all share prophets and whatnot but aren't the same.

Basically, Judaism was the first one, Christianity (Catholicism) came after that, then Islam and then all the various Protestant demonitations.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Islam is not older than Christianity. They all share prophets and whatnot but aren't the same.

Basically, Judaism was the first one, Christianity (Catholicism) came after that, then Islam and then all the various Protestant demonitations.
    Oh. I stand corrected.

I must have been thinking about some other one. Sikhism maybe :chin:.
  • Options
    :confused:

Evidence?

For what? I wasn't making a statement, I was reporting an attitude I happen to have seen people display on messageboards (not this one) before. I doubt I could get any evidence to back this up, because that's like trying to prove a conversation you had with someone once.
  • Options

This is absurd

This is the video he posted before this. Now this IS xenophobia. Its also highly misleading, patronising rubbish that smacks of the kind of colonial British superiority that we are (in some parts of the world) despised for to this day.

"Muslim women in Britain who cover their faces, are mentally ill"

If that was a statement made about white British women by a member of Hizb-ut-Tahrir, it would be all over the evening news.

GUYS WE'VE BEEN HAD!!!! (I've been had)

He's a comedian! No wonder I couldn't stop laughing.
  • Options
    For what? I wasn't making a statement, I was reporting an attitude I happen to have seen people display on messageboards (not this one) before. I doubt I could get any evidence to back this up, because that's like trying to prove a conversation you had with someone once.

I dunno, usually whenever I see something in Inverted Commas I take it as a direct quotation from someone or something. I thought you would back that up with some evidence. In all my time in life or on message boards I never heard anyone say what you wrote.
  • Options

This is absurd

This is the video he posted before this. Now this IS xenophobia. Its also highly misleading, patronising rubbish that smacks of the kind of colonial British superiority that we are (in some parts of the world) despised for to this day.

"Muslim women in Britain who cover their faces, are mentally ill"

If that was a statement made about white British women by a member of Hizb-ut-Tahrir, it would be all over the evening news.

Yes and the OP already posted that link in his initial post. :p
  • Options

I presume you mean 'catholicism' as in the meaning of 'catholic' which means 'universal' or 'general' - and not 'Roman Catholicism' which only appeared around 312 with the conversion of the Roman Emperor, Constantine?
  • Options
    Lol i know! I love this guy, such a breath of fresh air
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I presume you mean 'catholicism' as in the meaning of 'catholic' which means 'universal' or 'general' - and not 'Roman Catholicism' which only appeared around 312 with the conversion of the Roman Emperor, Constantine?
    Yeah, that's what I was about to post. Christianity isn't the same as Catholicism, because Catholicism (and most, if not all, other dogmas I know of) contain beliefs that the early Christians did not hold and apparently came out of nowhere.
  • Options

Don't the Greek Orthodox argue that they are the original form of Christianity?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church
  • Options

They do, I can tell you from experience. All dogmas do, and as far as I can tell, they all lie. Jesus never appointed Peter a pope nor even implied he was infallible, and definitely never said some one person should be the leader of a religion. Half of the dogmatic beliefs (of Orthodoxy too, I just can't think of any right now) came out of priests later, yet somehow they're held as important by many.
  • Options
  • Options

I thought the Orthodox Church broke away from Catholicism around the 10th Century? I'm not entirely sure tbh. ETA: I was talking in relation to the Great Schism of 1054.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Schism

There's is a certain ambiguity about the early Church and whether Jesus asked Peter to found the Church. All I do know is that Peter was the first Pope of the established Christain Church which later became Roman Catholicism and then everything else happened after that.
  • Options
    All I do know is that Peter was the first Pope of the established Christain Church which later became Roman Catholicism and then everything else happened after that.

Of course, that does not coincide with what the Bible states :

Christ?s commission to Peter was that he become chief minister to the CIRCUMCISED, not to uncircumcised Gentiles.

"The gospel of the CIRCUMCISION was unto Peter; (For He that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles)" (Gal. 2:7-8).

So he never went to Rome but worked to convert the Jews to Christ.

Whereas Paul specifically told the Gentile Romans that HE had been chosen to be their Apostle, not Peter.

"I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable" (Rom. 15:16).

And Paul did indeed go to Rome.

But we go off-topic and this could always be another thread. :)
  • Options
    Really? Where did you read that? I spent two years doing Islam and Christianity, and I don't remember learning that :p.

Islam came AFTER Christianity cos they believe Jesus was a prophet of God (not his actual SON though)

Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all very similar - main thing in common being the belief in one God - unlike some other religions which believe in several Gods.
  • Options
    wow....i dont know whether i love or hate this guy, as a lot of the issues he talks about are in some way correct, but the way he talks about them is so patronising, arrogant and not completely correct. Btw, i am muslim, i don't cover my face and i am not oppressed in any way shape or form.

In respect to Islam being a relatively young religion, the Islamic calender is currently in the year 1428...which is less than 600 years difference to the existance of Christianity. In the grand scheme of things that isnt very much. However, i was taught that Adam and Eve, were Muslim (or more accurately God's Followers) but over time, religion was lost, which was when Judaism came to be, followed by Christianity and then Islam.
  • Options
    He's boring, he's not funny... I have little else to say.
  • Options
    He's an atheist, he burns on most monotheist religions. I've seen a number of his vids, he makes some valid points and some poorer ones. Somehow he managed to piss off a few members of the Hypocrites for Political Correctness patrol, it's not hard to do. No big deal.
  • Options
    Its just comedy as far as I'm concerned; there is nothing truely sacred that cannot withstand parody.
  • Options
    Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all very similar - main thing in common being the belief in one God - unlike some other religions which believe in several Gods.

It is sort of the same god too, certainly the god didnt change when christians and jews split, and I'm fairly sure its the god of abraham which is the god in islam. Its just the names and how they worship which are different.