Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Whats wrong with Islam.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I remember properly under Islam Allah is the most important prophet, followed by Jesus and Moses (though Jesus isn't the son of God)
  • Options
    If I remember properly under Islam Allah is the most important prophet, followed by Jesus and Moses (though Jesus isn't the son of God)

I think you mean Muhammed rather than Allah ....
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    It is sort of the same god too, certainly the god didnt change when christians and jews split, and I'm fairly sure its the god of abraham which is the god in islam. Its just the names and how they worship which are different.

Contentious. Christians believe that God is, in fact, a trinity.

The pith of an apple, the core of the apple and the skin of an apple are all still apple.

So, likewise, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are still one God.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »

The pith of an apple, the core of the apple and the skin of an apple are all still apple.

So, likewise, God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are still one God.

The thing that I've never got about the Catholic church is this whole praying to saints thing. Surely that's a bit of a slap in the face to God?
  • Options
    The thing that I've never got about the Catholic church is this whole praying to saints thing. Surely that's a bit of a slap in the face to God?

According to the Bible, it could be perceived as this.

One is supposed to pray to the Father but via Jesus, who acts as the intercessor.
  • Options
    Religions are all a bit odd. Most of the main ones come down to the same fundamentals, which then breaks up into different subsets of beliefs, and then everyone who is a part of a religion interprets it in their own way.

This man has opinions and I think he should be commended for voicing them when we do live in a climate where it is very much frowned upon as bad as murder sometimes questioning someone on their religious practices. However, what he actually says, although raising some points - does in fact show his ignorance of the wider issues.

Every religion, or non religion in the case of atheism, has fundamentalists, even those who are willing to blow themselves up. As far as I know, covering the face for a woman isn't part of Islam, it's just a social thing. Like people wear suits to church *guess*, and if you turned up in a tracksuit you'd get funny looks.
  • Options
    I think you mean Muhammed rather than Allah ....

I think I do :o
  • Options

The trinity makes me laugh. It’s patently a way of attempting to consolidate the contradictory nonsense purported by the Old Testament. Even the New Testament doesn’t really bother with the idea iirc.
  • Options
    That's true. The New Testament does not specificaly mention the word 'Trinity' but there are hints at God being more than one just one personality :

e.g. Philippians 2: 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
    11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Matthew 28
    19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"

John 1
    7 "For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one."

Clearly, Jesus and the Father and the Holy Spirit are different personalities.
  • Options
    Clearly, Jesus and the Father and the Holy Spirit are different personalities.

God's a schizo! :p
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Religions are all a bit odd. Most of the main ones come down to the same fundamentals, which then breaks up into different subsets of beliefs, and then everyone who is a part of a religion interprets it in their own way.

This man has opinions and I think he should be commended for voicing them when we do live in a climate where it is very much frowned upon as bad as murder sometimes questioning someone on their religious practices. However, what he actually says, although raising some points - does in fact show his ignorance of the wider issues.

Every religion, or non religion in the case of atheism, has fundamentalists, even those who are willing to blow themselves up. As far as I know, covering the face for a woman isn't part of Islam, it's just a social thing. Like people wear suits to church *guess*, and if you turned up in a tracksuit you'd get funny looks.

I agree with pretty much all you've said here. Fair play to the guy for speaking out, just a shame it wasn't more intelligent stuff.

I am, however, a little uneasy with the term 'fundamentalist atheist'; it seems to becoming a little more common place. You can certainly have a staunch athiest, but i think fundamentalism is pretty much exclusively the remit of religion.

The dictionary definition of fundamentalism is:

A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism

I'm not sure athiests really have a rigid set of principles - other than just the one about there being no God, i guess. I'm sure there's no opposition to secularism amongst atheists either.

I'm probably nit-picking; i just like to keep religious and non-religious belief separate when i think distinction needs to be drawn.
  • Options
    I agree with pretty much all you've said here. Fair play to the guy for speaking out, just a shame it wasn't more intelligent stuff.

I am, however, a little uneasy with the term 'fundamentalist atheist'; it seems to becoming a little more common place. You can certainly have a staunch athiest, but i think fundamentalism is pretty much exclusively the remit of religion.

The dictionary definition of fundamentalism is:

A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism

I'm not sure athiests really have a rigid set of principles - other than just the one about there being no God, i guess. I'm sure there's no opposition to secularism amongst atheists either.

I'm probably nit-picking; i just like to keep religious and non-religious belief separate when i think distinction needs to be drawn.

Just another attempt by certain members of cartain religious communities to blur the lines between scientific and religious opinions, in an attempt to make the equally valid in most people's eyes. I see it as a reaction to the fact that people in the western world increasingly look to science and logic, rather than religion and faith to understand the world.