Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I've got a.. 'fan'?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At least thats how my mum put it.

This is going to sound really childish buuut.

I have this guy mate who's currently at uni, but will be back home for the summer in about a fortnight. We talk pretty much everyday day. I've liked him for a while, so I'm hoping this will be a lucky summer for me :].

Theres this other girl, who was in the same year as me at school, who is mates with a few guys he knows. Now she fancies him, and told him, but he made it clear that he doesn't like her in that way.. at all.

The real issue I have here is that over the past few weeks, shes gradually begun to turn herself 'into me'. It sounds petty, but she's just got extensions, dyed her hair exactly the same colour, bought a lot of the same clothes, has altered her online profiles (yeah okay this does sound petty to all you non-myspace/bebo-ers), got into the same less-popular known bands and styles.. to pretty much copy me. He's mentioned it so many times now, and I showed my mother a photo of her tonight and she was shocked at how much she resembled me. I showed some friends aswell and they're all saying exactly the same thing.

Now.. I'm waiting to show this guy the latest one. I left a short comment on a pic but she swiftly deleted it.
How do you deal with someone who so blatantly is doing this on purpose? I know a lot of you will say take it as a compliment, but I don't know anyone else round here as similar as shes become to me.. and to be honest I like to stay at least a little different to everyone else in this tiny town.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    she probably has low self esteem issues. sees you as a bit of a role model. so tries to emulate you.
    guess you just let them get on with it. they'll become bored of it eventually or find someone new to copy.
  • Options
    Try not too let it bother you to much. If she knows its getting to you then she will think she is winning, so don't give her the satisfaction. She might be able to copy you from the outside but she wont be able to on the inside. Just let you personality shine and be yourself, people will respect you more for it, in the mean time she will be playing catch up and looking sad in the process.

:thumb:
  • Options
    i've had this before - they soon get bored when they realise it doesn't work
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    If she knows its getting to you then she will think she is winning,

she might not be doing it to get at you. she is probably blatantly unaware it is getting to you. if you want to you could try talking to her about it but tbh its probably just a phase and will pass.
  • Options
    the other option is that she's not copying you at all. The fashion at the mo is the fashion at the mo, she might have just caught on to the same things as you a little later than you did.
  • Options
    Just take it as a slightly twisted form of flattery...
  • Options
    Leave her to it. You'll get the guy. She'll see that and move on I reckon, feeling shamed.
  • Options
    I don't think she's doing anything wrong, and i don't really see why it bothers you so much. Let her get on with it, she can do what she likes really, is it really any skin off your nose if she IS trying to be like you. If she is it's only because she's jealous and if anything she's to be pitied that she has such low self esteem she feels she has to try and be someone else. Try and let it slide, i'm sure it'll pass.
  • Options
    Thankyou all :]
    Sound advice!!
  • Options
    Or....wait 'til she's spent all her money, then completely change everything about yourself. :p
  • Options
    she may change her looks, but in the end she cant change her personality to actually be you..
  • Options
    Sugar wrote: »
    I don't think she's doing anything wrong, and i don't really see why it bothers you so much.

have u never seen single white female? :razz:
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Leave her to it. You'll get the guy. She'll see that and move on I reckon, feeling shamed.

This happened between a couple of my friends. One turned herslef into a mini-me of the other, she went after the same guys, listened to the same music, wore the same clothes... it's very annoying but will sort itself out with time. All I can advise is that you're as patient as you can be.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    have u never seen single white female? :razz:

actually i havent :chin: