Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

imprisoning asylum seekers is wrong and out of order

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Territt wrote: »
    they are not Jailing them up, they are being put into centre until they can Processed, most of these people have no forms of ID or paper work, they could be anyone, so they have to be dealt with before releasing them into the general public,

ok the system may not be great but its there to protect the public first.
    You can dress it up in any way you like. At the end of the day they're being locked up against their will in a purpose-built building designed to stop them from escaping.

Looks and sounds like being jailed to me.
  • Options
    they are not Jailing them

What do you call being locked inside a compund then?
    ok the system may not be great but its there to protect the public first.

Protect from what?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You can dress it up in any way you like. At the end of the day they're being locked up against their will in a purpose-built building designed to stop them from escaping.

Against their will? Hardly. If I was looking to escape persecution, I wouldn't be complaining about being detained for a period while my application was processed. Would you? :confused:

What reforms do you suggest to the system? Allowing an open border for anyone to enter the country?
  • Options

im sorry but they chose to come to england then they need to deal with the way OUR system works, if they dont like it why not stop in one of the many SAFE countrys in the EU on there way here?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Against their will? Hardly.

Huh? You mean that people *want* to be locked up?
    What reforms do you suggest to the system? Allowing an open border for anyone to enter the country?

See previous post about encouraging people to work, look after themselves.

Surely you don't want to detain someone at your expense, when they could be working/earning and paying their way?
  • Options
    im sorry but they chose to come to england then they need to deal with the way OUR system works

You aren't sorry at all, so why both typing that?

Why is it okay to lock someone away, to detain them against their will, when no crime has been committed? Doesn't that go against our system of justice?
    if they dont like it why not stop in one of the many SAFE countrys in the EU on there way here?

Because this is a great country to be in, when you get in. It's people like you who make me forget that at times.
  • Options
    im sorry but they chose to come to england then they need to deal with the way OUR system works, if they dont like it why not stop in one of the many SAFE countrys in the EU on there way here?

How ridiculous.
  • Options
    Territt;

Indeed you are right, in the sense that for many people they do need to get used to our system, which they perceive as one that in principal upholds human rights, democracy and personal dignity.

Oh and for a lot of people, the 'choice' to come to Britain needs to be qualified with the statement that, despite what the Daily Mail might say, a lot of them do come in fear of their lives.
  • Options
    Territt;

Indeed you are right, in the sense that for many people they do need to get used to our system, which they perceive as one that in principal upholds human rights, democracy and personal dignity.

Oh and for a lot of people, the 'choice' to come to Britain needs to be qualified with the statement that, despite what the Daily Mail might say, a lot of them do come in fear of their lives.

I am not saying they rant being missed treated in they home country but what’s wrong with France? or one of the many other countries they travel though? The fact is they chose England because they feel they would have a better life here then in one of the other SAFE countries, and i have no problem with that, but when they get here they should understand that we have a system set up to protect ourselves, and if they want to be part of this Great Nation then they need to go though the system.

at the end of the day the system is set up so we don’t allow anyone just to turn up on our shores and go free into the public without first indentifying them and assessing the risk. Surly you don’t think people should be let in without knowing who they are?
  • Options
    Huh? You mean that people *want* to be locked up?

If the alternative is death or persecution, what legitimate complaint can they have? I for one wouldn't have a problem with temporary dention if I was an asylum seeker. Would you???

See previous post about encouraging people to work, look after themselves.

Surely you don't want to detain someone at your expense, when they could be working/earning and paying their way?

How about just opening the borders to anyone who wants to come here, no questions asked, no proof of identity required?
  • Options
    Surly you don’t think people should be let in without knowing who they are?

No i don't and i think you may have missed my earlier comment to the affect that;
    I think there are two points here; if people are arriving undocumented and there is a perceived threat to national security (potential) yes then putting them through processing centres may well be justified.

However until it has been proven that they are a threat or are guilty of some other wrong-doing, there is absolutely no reason that confinement and treatment should be anything more than restricting their movement into general society.

It completely does not justify the atrocious treatment they are receiving, and something urgently needs to be done. Although I accept that there may be reason to restrict their movement initially for processing reasons, within that environment they should be presumed to be nothing more than what they are presenting as (i.e: people in need) until it has been proven otherwise.

Apart from anything else, if you believe in human rights then you believe in it for everyone, top to bottom.
  • Options
    If the alternative is death or persecution, what legitimate complaint can they have? I for one wouldn't have a problem with temporary dention if I was an asylum seeker. Would you???

So if there was a civil war in the UK, and many people fled to France, you wouldn't have a problem with your family being locked up and treated like a criminal?

Yes, I would have a problem with that situation. Especially when it involves children being locked up.
  • Options
    Against their will? Hardly. If I was looking to escape persecution, I wouldn't be complaining about being detained for a period while my application was processed. Would you? :confused:
    Yes. And most if not all asylum seekers are.

If that wasn't the case, why are they kept locked up in prison-like buildings with bars in the windows and prevented from leaving?

Please...

No. But treating those who do get in like decent human beings not criminals or livestock.
  • Options
    Our system has been right until now to treat them as human beings. The new system, instigated by racists, bigots and prejudiced tossers from sections of our fine press and political parties that should know better, is unnaceptable, unjustifiable and disgraceful.
  • Options

If that wasn't the case, why are they kept locked up in prison-like buildings with bars in the windows and prevented from leaving?

Please...

No. But treating those who do get in like decent human beings not criminals or livestock.

edit: livestock get treated better
  • Options

How about just opening the borders to anyone who wants to come here, no questions asked, no proof of identity required?

being a reguee, strangely enough in many countries there isnt much paperwork kept on civilians, sometimes maybe a passport that's about it or a birth certificate and a couple of photos

there's nothing wrong with keeping an eye on people, doing it in a prison where people are barred from even seeing news footage of that prison being criticsied, or getting solitary confinemenet for questioning the running is a joke

nice handy source to read from the UN on where applications come from and who gets them? in the past 10 years industrialised nations have been taking on less and less

http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/home/opendoc.pdf?id=464049e63&tbl=STATISTICS

and on the UK specifically
    http://www.unhcr.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/statistics/opendoc.pdf
    we mainly get asylum applications from
    Somalia
    Afghanistan
    Iraq
    Turkey
    Serbia

3 of those we are almost partially responsible for the state they're in, Iraq and afghanistan definetly - somalia, we didn't really didnt argue about america kicking out the only stabilising force (UIC) by ethiopian or eritrean forces(forgot the exact country)
  • Options
    3 of those we are almost partially responsible for the state they're in, Iraq and afghanistan definetly - somalia, we didn't really didnt argue about america kicking out the only stabilising force (UIC) by ethiopian or eritrean forces(forgot the exact country)

im not going to get started on the iraq thing because it will turn in to a iraq debate again, but afghanistan? really, that place as always been a shithole, long before we got involved, i mean they had be in a civil war for nearly 30 years before we invaded,
  • Options
    im not going to get started on the iraq thing because it will turn in to a iraq debate again, but afghanistan? really, that place as always been a shithole, long before we got involved, i mean they had be in a civil war for nearly 30 years before we invaded,

Erm...no it didn't. They were fighting against the Soviets who tried to invade them in 1979, get your facts straight next time and I'd really appreciate if you didn't refer to countries as "shitholes."
  • Options

Then I seriously doubt if they truly are 'asylum seekers' in the first place.

Please...

Obviously given the choice between detention or no detention...they are going to opt for the latter. Especially those who aren't genuine in the first place. That doesn't equate to genuine asylum seekers having a problem with it.
    [/QUOTE]

That's no real answer, Aladdin. You know as well as I do that if people claiming asylum weren't detained, they'd simply merge in with the populace and disappear off the 'radar'. Such a policy would effectively be open-door for everyone.

It's also worth noting that the conditions of these detention facilities are far from prison like, so the comparison to treating them like "livestock" and "criminals" are rather far-off.
  • Options
    Then I seriously doubt if they truly are 'asylum seekers' in the first place.
    Why? Why should they enjoy being locked up for no good reason? That's the kind of thing they were escaping in the first place.

Obviously given the choice between detention or no detention...they are going to opt for the latter. Especially those who aren't genuine in the first place. That doesn't equate to genuine asylum seekers having a problem with it
    That's no real answer, Aladdin. You know as well as I do that if people claiming asylum weren't detained, they'd simply merge in with the populace and disappear off the 'radar'. Such a policy would effectively be open-door for everyone.
    So let me get this right... on the one hand you are saying that asylum seekers would not mind being locked up for up months at a time. And on the other that if they were not locked up they'd dissapear off the radar.

Either asylum seekers are willing to accept the rules or they aren't. Which one is it?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Erm...no it didn't. They were fighting against the Soviets who tried to invade them in 1979, get your facts straight next time and I'd really appreciate if you didn't refer to countries as "shitholes."

i think you will find in 1973 the King Zahir Shah was killied by his brother-in-law who then took controll of the country untill 78 when communist People's Democratic Party of Afghanistan launched a coup known as the Great Saur Revolution and took control, by this point the whole country was at war,

American then began to covertly fund and train anti-government Mujahideen forces which lead to Sovies invading, and the place was pretty much in a state of civil war,

so maybe you should get your fact straight.
  • Options
    Why? Why should they enjoy being locked up for no good reason? That's the kind of thing they were escaping in the first place.

It's not without reason, and its not about enjoyment. I'll say again, if anyone claiming asylum has a major problem with temporary detention, they aren't genuinely fleeing persecution. No-one in their right mind seeking asylum can have a problem with this.

So let me get this right... on the one hand you are saying that asylum seekers would not mind being locked up for up months at a time. And on the other that if they were not locked up they'd dissapear off the radar.

Either asylum seekers are willing to accept the rules or they aren't. Which one is it?

Look, if I was fleeing persecution and had the choice between detention and freedom to go and do whatever, I would obviously choose the latter, as would anyone. But that isn't the same as having a problem with detention. Temporary humane detention in a safe country is going to be preferable to persecution would you not agree?
  • Options
    It's not without reason, and its not about enjoyment. I'll say again, if anyone claiming asylum has a major problem with temporary detention, they aren't genuinely fleeing persecution. No-one in their right mind seeking asylum can have a problem with this.
    I should imagine that somebody who has risked life and limb to come to Britain because they are sick of innocent people being treated like criminals or worse and they think Britain is a civilised nation that is above all of that would have a major problem.

Not to mention those who had spent traumatic time in prison in their own countries. Who would want to relive their nightmares???

Look, if I was fleeing persecution and had the choice between detention and freedom to go and do whatever, I would obviously choose the latter, as would anyone. But that isn't the same as having a problem with detention. Temporary humane detention in a safe country is going to be preferable to persecution would you not agree?
    Of course. But not being locked up is far more preferable than being locked up. And the point is that nobody needs to be locked up.

If a few (and it is a few regardless of what the right wing tabloids might claim) people are not genuine asylum seekers and they dissapear off the radar, well that's a small price to pay for doing the right thing. Locking up thousands of innocent and decent people to try to prevent a few of them staying here illegally is not acceptable.
  • Options
    If a few (and it is a few regardless of what the right wing tabloids might claim) people are not genuine asylum seekers and they dissapear off the radar, well that's a small price to pay for doing the right thing. Locking up thousands of innocent and decent people to try to prevent a few of them staying here illegally is not acceptable.

i really wouldnt call more than 400,000 failed asylum seekers whose applications have been refused dissapear in the country a "FEW" , and i dont that they would have been able to if they was all put in centers to be processed

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1048722006
  • Options
    I'll say again, if anyone claiming asylum has a major problem with temporary detention, they aren't genuinely fleeing persecution.
    Right, since the persecution they were fleeing, because they had a major problem with it, never included detention.

Different thread, same idiosyncratic twist on logic.
  • Options
    i really wouldnt call more than 400,000 failed asylum seekers whose applications have been refused dissapear in the country a "FEW" , and i dont that they would have been able to if they was all put in centers to be processed

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1048722006
    How much of truth is in that figure, one wonders, given the record of our fine press when discussing asylum seekers...
    "JET SET ASYLUM SEEKERS: £3K TO QUIT AND FLY BACK"
    Daily Star, 1 May 2006

The Facts
    The Home Office has for some time operated a scheme to support asylum seekers who voluntarily return to their country of origin. As a pilot, this has been increased to a possible total of £3,000 ? but this is not all paid at once but in a series of grants as the individual shows that s/he requires support to set up in his/her country of origin - for example, they will often be homeless. It is not paid as cash and could not be used to fly back to the UK. In the event of a second application for asylum, the asylum seeker would not be eligible for this support. Even if the maximum amount were paid out, it would be three or four times cheaper than an enforced removal.

"ASYLUM CRISIS AS AMNESTY DEAL FOR 15,000 TURNS INTO STAMPEDE"
    Daily Mail, 28 December 2005

The Facts

There was no crisis. Applications for the amnesty are made in writing - no-one was stampeding anywhere. Since it was announced in October 2003, the Home Office has found that more families are eligible for leave to remain than they had originally expected, having been in the UK awaiting an asylum decision for over three years.

"ASYLUM SEEKERS SENT TO MORE AFFLUENT AREAS"
    Daily Mail, 23 December 2005

The Facts

The reality is that most asylum seekers? accommodation is in ?ghettos? in deprived areas. They are housed in poor quality accommodation ? often previously hard to let ? sometimes in areas where research has shown they are more likely to face racial harassment. A Home Office report looking at the problems caused said there might be a case for changing the policy so that some asylum seekers would be sent to relatively less problematic areas.

"BRITAIN IS THE ASYLUM CAPITAL OF THE WORLD "
    The Express, 23 March 2005

The facts

The UK is home to just 3% of nearly 9.2 million refugees world-wide. Two thirds of the world?s refugees are living in developing countries, often in refugee camps. Africa and Asia between them host over 70% of the world?s refugees while Europe looks after just 22%. In 2005, the UK ranked 14th in the league table of EU countries for the number of asylum applications per head of population.

"HALT THIS CROOKED TIDE"
    The News of the World, 30 January 2005

The Facts

A report by the Association of Chief Police Officers stated that the ?vast majority of people seeking asylum are law abiding citizens.? In fact, asylum seekers are much more likely to be the victims of crime than the perpetrators. A study conducted by Refugee Action found that one in five of their clients had experienced some kind of harassment while 83% of asylum seeking women do not go out at night for fear of being abused and harassed.

"ASYLUM SEEKERS GIVEN VOTES TO GET LOANS "
    Mail on Sunday, 1 May 2005

The Facts

Asylum seekers are not allowed to vote in local or general elections in the UK, nor do they have any access to loans. People can only register on the electoral roll if they are British, Commonwealth, Irish or EU citizens. Far from getting extra help, asylum seekers receive just 70% of income support (£40 per week). They are not allowed work so are forced to live in poverty. In 2002, a joint Refugee Council/Oxfam report found that 85% of organisations working with asylum seekers said their clients experienced hunger while 95% said they could not afford clothes or shoes.

"MIGRANT HEALTH THREAT TO BRITAIN "
    The Express, 22 April 2005

The Facts

The claim that asylum seekers are bringing in disease to the country is a primitive response to outsiders coming in. In September 2003, a pilot screening project conducted by the Immigration Service found that after testing 5,000 asylum seekers for infectious diseases, none carried TB, HIV or AIDS, nor any other serious diseases. Doctors did, however, find evidence of maltreatment and torture.

"KICK OUT THIS SCUM"
    Daily Star, 2 March 2003

The facts

Well, this one hardly needs refuting?
    From here
  • Options
    How much of truth is in that figure, one wonders, given the record of our fine press when discussing asylum seekers...

From here

you want to talk about Unbiased options and then you quote from the refugee council, lol, that makes sence,
  • Options
    What's that got to do with it? The data provided by the Refugee government comes from the government.

They might be biased, but they have proven that all those articles, headlines and 'news' from the tabloid press are all lies.

I'm sure if the Refugee Council was lying itself in that particular piece there would be no shortage of people, least of them the newspapers in question, to denounce them. But that's not the case.

From 'ASYLUM SEEKERS EAT OUR SWANS' to 'COUNTRY IS BEING SWARMED WITH ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS' to 'ASYLUM SEEKERS GIVEN HOUSES AND CARS', it's all lies and scaremongering from our fine tabloid press.
  • Options
    Oh Aladdin, you're forgetting "ASYLUM SEEKERS IMPLICATED IN DIANA MURDER". How could you? ;)

The Refugee Council has no agenda against British people getting council houses. What a crock. It represents the facts in terms of asylum seekers and their situation... they are not trying to deprive any other social group of social benefit or council housing, they just do the best they can by the people they are the voice of.
  • Options
    Uncle Joe wrote: »
    Right, since the persecution they were fleeing, because they had a major problem with it, never included detention.

Different thread, same idiosyncratic twist on logic.

Detention for a period while a claim is processed is not the same as imprisonment as a result of persecution.