Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Driving Theory Test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For some reason I seem to remember that you have to pass your practical within a certain time period of doing your theory.

Does anyone know if this is the case, anyone who's currently learning to drive know?

I can't find anything about it after a quick look on google.

Comments

• Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Its 2 or 3 years I forget which one
  • Options
    It's 2 years.
  • Options
    Just checked my certificate, it shows the expiration date along the top.
  • Options
    Yup two years to the date of your theory pass.

Which means I have less than a year :(
  • Options
    Take 2-3 lessons a week, and if you can, as much practise inbetween lessons as possible. I got mine in just under 6 months using that approach. It's costly, but it's well worth it when you get your licence at the end of it all. :)
  • Options
    capo2 wrote: »
    Take 2-3 lessons a week, and if you can, as much practise inbetween lessons as possible. I got mine in just under 6 months using that approach. It's costly, but it's well worth it when you get your licence at the end of it all. :)

i could just about afford one lesson a week!
  • Options

Some people don't require that many lessons.

My advice is go with what ever you are comfortable with
  • Options

Ha well... I can barely afford one lesson a week.... and my car blew up so you know, no practising for me!

(I'm SO gonna fail this test again :D)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »

Which means I have less than a year :(

Aw don't worry thats plenty of time! You already know how to drive a car and from what I can remember you just had some bad luck on your last tests so I'm sure you'll do fine :) It only took me 7 months from the first time getting in a car to passing and I was hopeless! (still am, lol at parking). Unfortunate for your car blowing up though thats a bummer.
  • Options
    cheapest way.... Take you test on the Isle of Arran, No roundabouts, traffic lights, only 1type of junction (minor to major Stop junctions) 3 main roads with smaller off roads, peace of piss tbh

Only 4 test routes, which I have saved on my pc
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    cheapest way.... Take you test on the Isle of Arran, No roundabouts, traffic lights, only 1type of junction (minor to major Stop junctions) 3 main roads with smaller off roads, peace of piss tbh

My lord. If I fail my next one, I'm on my way ;)
  • Options

no traffic lights?!

exactly how small is this island!
  • Options
    50miles round, 1main road round, A road, but most of its a D road with 2 across the middle, and obviously roads for the housing.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

I had a similar test route first time round and I failed it. It doesn't prepare you for city driving though. They are completely different kettles of fish and you have completely different hazards to learn about.
  • Options
    I'm learning to drive at the moment, I've had around 25 lessons (20, a year ago, 5 recently) and haven't taken my theory test yet lol. I think I'm procrastinating.

Really should take my theory, I just don't wanna fail it lol.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm learning to drive at the moment, I've had around 25 lessons (20, a year ago, 5 recently) and haven't taken my theory test yet lol. I think I'm procrastinating.

Really should take my theory, I just don't wanna fail it lol.

You won't fail if you are prepared. There are too many people who go into their theory, think it is a piece of piss and then fail because they didn't revise. It can be quite difficult and you should definitely practise the hazard perception because you would have no clue what you are doing until you are about 4/5 questions in, and by then it is too late.

Just get one of those CD/DVD things, and take the plunge and book it. Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    It expires in 2 years - mine expired last week :(
  • Options
    You won't fail if you are prepared. There are too many people who go into their theory, think it is a piece of piss and then fail because they didn't revise. It can be quite difficult and you should definitely practise the hazard perception because you would have no clue what you are doing until you are about 4/5 questions in, and by then it is too late.

Just get one of those CD/DVD things, and take the plunge and book it. Good luck :thumb:
    Yeah, I've got the DVDs and have passed numerous times. I'm still never quite confident enough to get myself officially tested lol.