Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Speeding without financial cost

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    toth8 wrote: »
    Why not? Toll roads is just one solution the marketplace could offer.

Solution to what? You seem to have some very odd ideas here. I don't see how making roads private will help anyone in any way.
  • Options
    Why not? Toll roads is just one solution the marketplace could offer.

What's up with the system as it exists?
  • Options
    I should care because...??

You sir, are a pretty large cock making a poor effort at trolling...
  • Options
    No, what sets a dangerous precident is that someone going through a speed camera at 32 gets 3 points, and boy racers are free to speed at 100mph where they know there are no cameras, because of a lack of police patrols. The insurance company is simply reacting to the fact that penalty points no longer represent a true risk to them.

Firstly, the threshold to get caught by a camera is normally higher than 32mph.
    Secondly, I stated that does this equally apply to people caught by the police driving without due care/dangerously e.t.c. and does this make their points equally worthless?
  • Options
    You sir, are a pretty large cock making a poor effort at trolling...

Why am I trolling? Is there any reason I should care about someone else's child? And don't say "cos it's a child" or "society says so".
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Secondly, I stated that does this equally apply to people caught by the police driving without due care/dangerously e.t.c. and does this make their points equally worthless?

No it doesn't make their points equally worthless, it means that it can't distinguish between genuine offences (i.e. one's where a judgement of your driving has been made by the police) and speeding offences (where a judgement as to how dangerous your driving is has been made by an automated machine). If insurance companies are saying that points on your licence are no longer an indicator of your likelyhood to make a claim in the future, then I think that's pretty damning to the whole system. You can't blame the insurance companies for wanting to make the risk as small as possible to themselves, and if this is one way to do it, you can't stop them doing it because "it sets a bad example."

Oh and if speed cameras are set at above 32mph on a 30mph road, then what's the point of them? As speed campaigners are always telling us, every mph greatly increases the chances of a child being killed. I thought "It's 30 for a reason."
  • Options
    Why am I trolling? Is there any reason I should care about someone else's child? And don't say "cos it's a child" or "society says so".

Because it's an innate human instinct that everyone has inside them. If you don't have it, you must be defective.
  • Options
    Oh and if speed cameras are set at above 32mph on a 30mph road, then what's the point of them? As speed campaigners are always telling us, every mph greatly increases the chances of a child being killed. I thought "It's 30 for a reason."

To account for momentary lapses and errors in the calibration of your speedometer. Not all cameras are set up like this though.

Toth, the speed limits are there to prevent needless deaths. I've been to god only knows how many accidents where somebody like you has done something they percieve to be safe, either by speeding or using their mobile phone and they have ended up twisted around another car or crushing someone against a tree.

I went to one last year where the woman was
    Speeding
    TEXTING on her phone
    Not wearing a seatbelt

with her fucking kids in the car, on a windy country lane, doing over 70mph. Needless to say she ended up wrapping it around a perfectly innocent person's car who was severely hospitalised. The person doing the texting died leaving her kids without a mother.

Arguing that being able to do 60 in a 30 zone makes you look like an idiot, we care about preventing innocent children from being mown down by wasters like you because we have a soul.

FYI, the stuff about wasters e.t.c. is for Toth, not you shyboy!
  • Options
    With a bit of an OT reference to the toll roads and taxation, I think it it's fucking abhorrent that the goverment are trying to introduce toll roads.

We already have completely ridiculously taxed fuel, moreso than nearly every other country meaning driving is already a very expensive neccessity for some of us. To further increase this expense is disgusting. Between petrol and the way they let the housing market go it's totally fucking this place up.
  • Options

Isn't it 10% + something?
  • Options
    No.. they CAN snap you at just being over 30 if they want..
  • Options
    Whowhere, I would say there isnt faith in speed cameras because a lot of the time they're badly placed. I've NEVER seen one outside of a school (good place imo), but I have seen them on a dual carriageway that bends round some trees and then there's a 40 sign (it's 60 before this IIRC), with a speed camera a couple of feet behind it. When we've been driving to places we don't know we've noticed these kind of 'speed traps' where you're driving along and then you come over a hill and the speed limit drops by 20mph along witha speed camera to catch those who aren't quick enough slowing down.

The fact that on my job contract for a bank it says that any criminal convictions must be told asa and if they are not I will be dismissed, apart from traffic violations - shows volumes that these days all they are doing is undermining the weight of real convictions.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Whowhere, I would say there isnt faith in speed cameras because a lot of the time they're badly placed. I've NEVER seen one outside of a school (good place imo), but I have seen them on a dual carriageway that bends round some trees and then there's a 40 sign (it's 60 before this IIRC), with a speed camera a couple of feet behind it. When we've been driving to places we don't know we've noticed these kind of 'speed traps' where you're driving along and then you come over a hill and the speed limit drops by 20mph along witha speed camera to catch those who aren't quick enough slowing down.

Yep, and people will argue that accidents happen in that spot because people don't slow down quickly enough. Surely the solution there then is the change to the lower speed limit earlier in the road and give people a chance to slow down before the dangerous bit, rather than put a speed camera there?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

The fact that on my job contract for a bank it says that any criminal convictions must be told asa and if they are not I will be dismissed, apart from traffic violations - shows volumes that these days all they are doing is undermining the weight of real convictions.

This is fixed cameras, we also have mobile cameras which in my force are placed according to where the local community want them. If we're getting loads of complaints from residents regarding speeding then we'll put in a bid for a camera for a week.
    Sofie, it is normally 10% plus a varying number, however this isn't a given, as often as not (especially in a force like North Wales, thankyou Mr Brunstrom) the cameras are set to 30/40/50 etc exactly.

I'm against underhanded tactics as well, but i'm not in a posistion to question their siting e.t.c.
  • Options
    Why am I trolling?

Typing something deliberately intended to inflame passions....
    Is there any reason I should care about someone else's child?

Well, I could start with your future pension etc...

I could add the really radical notion that you are talking about another human being...
  • Options
    And?
  • Options
    And?

the_troll.jpg
  • Options
    toth8=monocrat by any chance?
  • Options
    Nah, monocrat had more brains.

Not much more, obviously
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    the_troll.jpg

Why does saying you have no affinity for children the same as trolling? Do YOU love EVERY child?
  • Options
    We're not saying we love every child, we're saying that deliberately driving over the speed limit and then not giving a shit when you kill one of them marks you out to be a bit of a pyscho tbh.

I bet you'd drive off, tyres screeching sticking your fingers up at them wouldn't you?
    Or would you stay, wait for the police, and when they ask what the hell you were thinking, your standard reply will be "not my kid, who gives a shit?" I bet you wouldn't fall down too many stairs at the nick for that remark.
  • Options
    We're not saying we love every child,

Yes, you do. Everyone does.
    we're saying that deliberately driving over the speed limit and then not giving a shit when you kill one of them marks you out to be a bit of a pyscho tbh.

Why? Where's your in experience in psychology?
    I bet you'd drive off, tyres screeching sticking your fingers up at them wouldn't you?
    Or would you stay, wait for the police, and when they ask what the hell you were thinking, your standard reply will be "not my kid, who gives a shit?" I bet you wouldn't fall down too many stairs at the nick for that remark.

I doubt they'd give a shit.
  • Options
    Why does saying you have no affinity for children the same as trolling? Do YOU love EVERY child?
    I 'love' (though love is not the right word here perhaps) every human being unless I know them pesonally and know of a reason not to, yes.

Why? Don't you?
  • Options
    Oh what a saint. Your insulting tone doesn't denote love though. :p

I respect people but I don't owe them anything since no one owes anybody anything.
  • Options
    I doubt they'd give a shit.

I think they would matey, I think a full and frank discussion about which family member to hand you over to would also be on the cards.;)
  • Options
    I think they would matey, I think a full and frank discussion about which family member to hand you over to would also be on the cards.;)

I hope you're not advocating police violence ;)
  • Options
    I hope you're not advocating police violence ;)

Of course not, Toth said he doubts attending police would give a shit, I was correcting him.
  • Options
    I think they would matey,

Why?
    I think a full and frank discussion about which family member to hand you over to would also be on the cards.;)

Then they're unprofessional.

Should the police beat suspects now? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why?

Then they're unprofessional.

Should the police beat suspects now? :rolleyes:

Where did I say the police should beat suspects?

Why would they care you ask? Because they're human, and i'd imagine it's quite difficult to remain restrained when some moron who's just run over and killed a small child through their own stupidity starts having a good old laugh about it.