Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Speeding without financial cost

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Finally one insurance company has now conceded that having points on your license for speeding doesn't make you anymore of a risk than drivers with no penalty points. And will no longer be charging increased premiums for drivers with upto 9 penalty points :yippe:

Full Story

Personally I think this is good news, there are far to many speed cameras in pointless places. The majority just seem to be a money making machine.

It also happens that this insurance company will get a flurry of new customers from all the free publicity. Far from me to suggest this is just a public relations stunt :p

What do you think? Does this mean drivers are going to be getting away without punishment or is the fine punishment enough? Or is this a better way to look at things. Are there already far too many speed cameras and people are getting points, and its time speeding was put into context ?

Thoughts ?

EDIT: Oh and for the record; I have 3 points for speeding.

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the circumstances really; such as if someone was caught doing 60 in a 30 limit (i.e. around schools and residential areas etc) then they should have to face severe punishment

However, I don't think being caught doing 80 on the motorway is as bad. Like I said, I think it depends on the circumstances.

Ah thanks my first reply. :hyper:

I agree though, doing 80/90 mph on the motorway isn't a big offense in my book, however driving 50/60 through a housing estate full of children is.
  • Options
    Yet more recognition that speeding isn't anywhere near the main cause of accidents or deaths on our roads, perhaps?

A think it's exactly what they claim. If you can get 3 points for going through a speed camera at 32, then it's not really an accurate reflection of who the dangerous drivers are anymore. Previously, if you got 3 points after being pulled over by the police, you knew your were driving dangerously and were more of a risk.
  • Options
    Bad idea, where's the incentive not to speed or drive dangerously if the points don't mean anything?
    What about people who recieve points for using a mobile or for driving without due care? Will they now be let off?

Sets a dangerous precedent.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Bad idea, where's the incentive not to speed or drive dangerously if the points don't mean anything?
    What about people who recieve points for using a mobile or for driving without due care? Will they now be let off?

Sets a dangerous precedent.

No, what sets a dangerous precident is that someone going through a speed camera at 32 gets 3 points, and boy racers are free to speed at 100mph where they know there are no cameras, because of a lack of police patrols. The insurance company is simply reacting to the fact that penalty points no longer represent a true risk to them.
  • Options
    I think the problem with this is is that it doesn't take into consideration the extent to which the individual has been caught speeding. There is a difference between doing 32mph on a quiet street and doing 32mph at school kicking out time.

Incidentally it has been shown that casualties track speed limit changes (Rock, 1995) and those observed to drive faster have more accidents (Wasielewski, 1984). F. McKenna has developed a digital video test in which they can show that those who choose the top 10 percent of speeds are about twice as likely to have a crash.

As I understand it, government guidelines suggest that there should have been at least 4 serious or fatal accidents per Km in the last 3 years at a site in order for a safety camera to be installed. Although I don't agree with where the revenue goes from speed cameras, I do think they are legitimately placed in high risk areas.

I think this sort of move does undermine the law, implying that speeding offences are somehow less important than other offences, like driving while using a mobile phone. Research like Parker (1995) has shown that accident liability was predicted by self-report tendency to commit violations like speeding, and that those who reported driving at high speeds also had a tendency to commit other high risk driving behaviours like close following etc.

I guess it is up to the insurance company though and they will analyse the data and I suppose are entitled to change their minds should it come about that those with points for speeding on their license are in a higher risk category, it would be interesting to know.
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    Incidentally it has been shown that casualties track speed limit changes (Rock, 1995) and those observed to drive faster have more accidents (Wasielewski, 1984). F. McKenna has developed a digital video test in which they can show that those who choose the top 10 percent of speeds are about twice as likely to have a crash.

Well of course, those who regularly speed are more likely to have a crash, because it gives you less time to react. But again, a speed camera can't tell whether you regularly speed, or you just happened to be speeding at that particular moment in time. I guarantee you anyone who regularly speeds knows exactly where all of the cameras are, which is why cameras reduce accidents in the area they are placed, yet fail to reduce overall accidents on the roads. Because they almost always catch the people making a mistake, rather than the people deliberately driving fast. Police patrols don't do this.
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    I think the problem with this is is that it doesn't take into consideration the extent to which the individual has been caught speeding. There is a difference between doing 32mph on a quiet street and doing 32mph at school kicking out time.
    Is there a difference between doing 32mph on a quiet street, and doing 30mph at school kicking out time? Because only one will get you 3 points if you're caught by a camera.
  • Options
    Well of course, those who regularly speed are more likely to have a crash, because it gives you less time to react. But again, a speed camera can't tell whether you regularly speed, or you just happened to be speeding at that particular moment in time. I guarantee you anyone who regularly speeds knows exactly where all of the cameras are, which is why cameras reduce accidents in the area they are placed, yet fail to reduce overall accidents on the roads. Because they almost always catch the people making a mistake, rather than the people deliberately driving fast. Police patrols don't do this.

You're right of course, speed cameras can't tell whether you regularly speed or not, however what they do is catch people going at speeds inappropriate for the road who would not otherwise have been caught, whether those people make a regular habit of speeding or not. Research has also shown that driving at night is a particular risk especially for younger drivers, so even when the roads are quiet increasing speed can be completely inappropriate, especially when you can come across unexpected hazards or other drivers partaking in dangerous driving because they've been lulled into a false sense of security from the fact that the roads are quieter.

Those that do speed regularly are of course more of a risk in general but the fact is speeding at all increases the chances of fatality in an accident for every mile per hour you increase your speed by, as well as increasing reaction times etc. Whats more, being caught by a speed camera is a voluntary offence, you know there are speed cameras in the area as signs are posted everywhere, you know what the consequences of being caught speeding will be, effectively the signs are telling you "if you choose to drive over the speed limit in this area you will be caught and have to pay a £60 fine and have 3 points on your license", you know the camera has been placed in an area where there have been serious crashes in the last few years, I think if you then *still* get caught speeding then you're either committing an intentional violation or you've experienced a total lapse of attention, both actions are equally dangerous and the consequences would be the same if you were to come across an unexpected hazard.

The fact is, people just don't see the risk as applying personally to them, for whatever reason we don't feel vulernable when we are driving. McKenna (1993) did a survey of 20000 drivers, and only 4% of those rated themselves as less skillful than the average driver. While I do think there is a valid argument for driving to the conditions, I also think that speed limits are there for a reason and that speeding is no less dangerous than other risky driving behaviours that the insurance company isn't letting people off the hook for committing.
  • Options
    But like you say, the number of penalty points isn't always proportional to the offence, which is partly why the insurance company is doing this (and partly as a PR move to prove that they're the "drivers company"). On the speeding thread we did a while ago, I remember that of the number of accidents on UK roads, only something between 10 and 20% (I know it was a teen) of deaths and serious injuries (and therefore presumably, expensive accidents) were due to excessive speed. So it's not even the biggest cause to start with. Now when this excessive speed gets you three penalty points whether you're going 31mph or 50mph, it isn't surprising that the insurance company doesn't consider it an accurate measurement of their risk any more.

Perhaps a tiered system would be more accurate, so that 30-35mph gets you one point (a £60 fine is still a pretty strong deterrent, plus a shade more on your next insurance quote), 35-40mph gets you two points, and 40mph or more gets you three. I don't see why it's always in multiples of 3.
  • Options
    But like you say, the number of penalty points isn't always proportional to the offence, which is partly why the insurance company is doing this (and partly as a PR move to prove that they're the "drivers company"). On the speeding thread we did a while ago, I remember that of the number of accidents on UK roads, only something between 10 and 20% (I know it was a teen) of deaths and serious injuries (and therefore presumably, expensive accidents) were due to excessive speed. So it's not even the biggest cause to start with. Now when this excessive speed gets you three penalty points whether you're going 31mph or 50mph, it isn't surprising that the insurance company doesn't consider it an accurate measurement of their risk any more.

Perhaps a tiered system would be more accurate, so that 30-35mph gets you one point (a £60 fine is still a pretty strong deterrent, plus a shade more on your next insurance quote), 35-40mph gets you two points, and 40mph or more gets you three. I don't see why it's always in multiples of 3.

Yeah I do agree with that to some extent and think it is much easier to accidentally do a few miles over the speed limit every now and then and that this shouldn't be treated in the same way as those that intentionally do 50 mph in a 30 area or similar. However there is also the difficulty again of conditions, as driving at 35mph in a very busy road with lots of hazards may be more dangerous than driving at similar speeds on less busy roads. I think it would be very difficult to implement a system whereby the road conditions could be assessed and the driver's choice of speed punished according to those road conditions. It wouldn't be practical to have traffic officers at every safety camera site, so the next best thing is to penalise everyone who speeds along that dangerous stretch of road. Personally I would rather that those doing 35mph and those doing 50mph were both penalised for speeding than neither of them.

Although speed may not be the main cause of accidents I certainly think it is going to be a contributing factor to all accidents; an accident caused by fatigue or the inexperience of a new driver would be worse if excessive speeds were involved at some point, although speed itself may not be identified as the cause of the accident.

I just think that actions such as these do undermine the law and send out the message that speeding is an acceptable driving behaviour. Even if speed was only the cause of 1% of crashes, if that can be changed in some way then I would want it to be, because other causes of accidents like fatigue or inexperience are more difficult to alter.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Finally one insurance company has now conceded that having points on your license for speeding doesn't make you anymore of a risk than drivers with no penalty points. And will no longer be charging increased premiums for drivers with upto 9 penalty points :yippe:

Full Story

Personally I think this is good news, there are far to many speed cameras in pointless places. The majority just seem to be a money making machine.

It also happens that this insurance company will get a flurry of new customers from all the free publicity. Far from me to suggest this is just a public relations stunt :p

What do you think? Does this mean drivers are going to be getting away without punishment or is the fine punishment enough? Or is this a better way to look at things. Are there already far too many speed cameras and people are getting points, and its time speeding was put into context ?

Thoughts ?

EDIT: Oh and for the record; I have 3 points for speeding.

:thumb:

Depends. Speeding shouldn't be illegal.
  • Options
    toth8 wrote: »

So it would be perfectly legal to drive at 60mph around a busy housing estate ?
  • Options
    Why not? Provided no one was injured.
  • Options

Try telling that to anyone who has ever been in an accident where a driver (not them) has been speeding.

There is a reason for speed limits.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    ...seeker?
  • Options
    ...seeker?

I was thinking this as well.:chin:
  • Options
    ...seeker?

:no: He would have found more hairs to split
  • Options

1. Ever thought about preventing injuries?

2. Then again, why would we? The parts which are damaged could be replaced from the stock of poor people looking to sell something so that they can feed their kids.

3. Do you have any idea of the damage caused to a child by a car travelling at 60 mph?
  • Options
    Toth - I take it you haven't thought about the psychological damage car crashes can do then? My cousin was involved in a car crash with his mum & my mum. My mum & his mum had some physical injuries and when they were hit, he screamed and threw up. I think he alos refused to get into a car of the same colour as well for a while or something.
  • Options
    1. Ever thought about preventing injuries?

2. Then again, why would we? The parts which are damaged could be replaced from the stock of poor people looking to sell something so that they can feed their kids.

All roads should be privately owned. So it depends on the road owner whether they want speed limits or not.
    3. Do you have any idea of the damage caused to a child by a car travelling at 60 mph?

I should care because...??
  • Options
    All roads should be privately owned.
    Why?

I should care because...??
    0/10. Piss poor marks for subtlety. Must try harder.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Why?

Roads are funded by taxation, which is taken by force.
    0/10. Piss poor marks for subtlety. Must try harder.

OK.
  • Options
    So? Taxation is good. Force is good.
  • Options
    So instead you would prefer that they were privately owned? And how would that be enforced? Oh, hang on, by force. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    So, if roads were privately owned, would that mean my parents would have to pay every time they decided to drive into town? Great logic here. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    So, if roads were privately owned, would that mean my parents would have to pay every time they decided to drive into town? Great logic here. :rolleyes:

Hey, soon they won't have to be privately owned for that to be the case. ;)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

Why not? Toll roads is just one solution the marketplace could offer.
  • Options
    For a start we pay enough tax anyway. What purpose would it serve?
  • Options

Are you for real ?
  • Options
    And how much would people have to pay?

And how many would be priced out of the road?

And there was me thinking you libertarians/freemarket fundamentalists were all about having to pay as little and amassing as much wealth as possible... Funny way to go about it :D