Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Has being a geek become cool?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Peter Parker (aka Spiderman), Robert Langdon (of Da Vinci Code fame), Malcom in the Middle and the History Boys: what do all these things have in common? They all appear to me to glorify the geek! Is it just me, or indeed a recent trend, that being a geek has acually started to be considered cool (Profesh from this very forum is a case in point)! The explosion of the internet forum culture no doubt has had something to do with it. What do we think?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, Geek Chic! It does seem to be only the well groomed geeks with the right geeky dress sense though ;)
  • Options
    Peter Parker (aka Spiderman), Robert Langdon (of Da Vinci Code fame), Malcom in the Middle and the History Boys: what do all these things have in common? They all appear to me to glorify the geek! Is it just me, or indeed a recent trend, that being a geek has acually started to be considered cool (Profesh from this very forum is a case in point)! The explosion of the internet forum culture no doubt has had something to do with it. What do we think?

:no: Being a geek will never be cool.

Although we do all have a little geek in us...for example, I love star wars. But it doesn't mean I go to conventions and shit and dress like a retard.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I love star wars.

:lol: I never saw that coming. Beam me up Scottie :D

When i think of geeks I think of Screech from Saved By The Bell
  • Options
    wasgroup-710440.jpg

Hi boys x
  • Options

Naaa .. :no: Geeks will always be geeks i think actually thats a bit harsh i try not to label people but in school it just sorta ends up being in groups.

Being an indie has become cool though like listening to all the shit uk bands with shitty guitar twangy bits wearing big floral shirts and shit
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Beam me up Scottie :D

nope thats star trek :P

I think it's become cool to an extent, but imo people that TRY a certain style to 'be' cool never will be.. when you can see someone is totally themselves and doesnt really care then thats true cool :yes:

actually come to think of it the word cool is retarded (like star wars clothes eh?), its subjective and overused!
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    :lol: I never saw that coming. Beam me up Scottie :D

When i think of geeks I think of Screech from Saved By The Bell

Lol Star Wars is fuckin cool, it's got lightsabers and shit!

Trek is the shit with all the geeks and nerds watching it with their big fucking ears.
  • Options

Although we do all have a little geek in us...for example, I love star wars. But it doesn't mean I go to conventions and shit and dress like a retard.

True ... like i LOVE reading .. and Lord of the Rings but you would never expect that of me if you met me.

On morning after we were at a mates hed just had a party and we were all on his bed watching tv and i got out my book and started reading (i was trying to relax i had a headache!!) and they all started ripping it out of me
  • Options
    Being an indie has become cool though like listening to all the shit uk bands with shitty guitar twangy bits wearing big floral shirts and shit

:lol: It's so true
  • Options
    Oh I dunno, I like the idea of a star wars wedding, but I'd never do it.
  • Options
    True ... like i LOVE reading .. and Lord of the Rings but you would never expect that of me if you met me.

On morning after we were at a mates hed just had a party and we were all on his bed watching tv and i got out my book and started reading (i was trying to relax i had a headache!!) and they all started ripping it out of me

Yeah I love reading too.
    I don't care if my mates take the piss out of me, I enjoy it so they can go fuck themselves. lol
  • Options
    i think geek chic has totally taken over. I mean you cant move without seeing someone wearing thick rimmed glasses which like 5 years ago would have been seen as very geeky.
  • Options
    Yeah I love reading too.
    I don't care if my mates take the piss out of me, I enjoy it so they can go fuck themselves. lol

good for us !

i think too much so its a good way to wind down and stop thinking so much
  • Options
    Yeh, it will all change next month ... and then again. I findit funny watching all the people change constantly.

I've got mates, who over the last 5 years i have seen in skateboarding gear, Black Slipknot t-shirts, La Coste tracksuits, Hip - Hop clothing, and back to La Coste shit.

And each time they change, they take the piss out of people who look like they did last week lol.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Yeh, it will all change next month ... and then again. I findit funny watching all the people change constantly.

I've got mates, who over the last 5 years i have seen in skateboarding gear, Black Slipknot t-shirts, La Coste tracksuits, Hip - Hop clothing, and back to La Coste shit.

And each time they change, they take the piss out of people who look like they did last week lol.

Lol Yeah I know people like that.
    I did the whole Slipknot thing when I was like 13, but ever since then I've dressed pretty much how I do now...in normal clothes. Lol, I dunno how to describe the way I dress, not chavvy, not grungery, not geeky...just normal. lol
  • Options
    I didn't realise reading (omfg READING!) made someone a geek.

I think once you're over the age of 21, no-one really cares.

I suspect my boyfriend is a closet geek, because he has photos of buses in his kitchen, and wears comic book t-shirts. :D

But I'd rather be with someone/be friends with someone who is genuine, and takes an interest in whatever they choose to, than someone who desperately tries to be "cool" and follow the crowd.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »

But I'd rather be with someone/be friends with someone who is genuine, and takes an interest in whatever they choose to, than someone who desperately tries to be "cool" and follow the crowd.

Exactly, and that's what I've come to understand in the last couple of years.
    But before that, it's hard being yourself as a young teenager in a world where image and reputation is so important.
  • Options
    I didn't realise reading (omfg READING!) made someone a geek.

I suspect my boyfriend is a closet geek, because he has photos of buses in his kitchen, and wears comic book t-shirts. :D

Ye definetely.
  • Options

I suspect my boyfriend is a closet geek, because he has photos of buses in his kitchen.

*cough

GEEK

cough *
  • Options
    They could be disco/party-buses ;)
  • Options

:yes:
  • Options

yep but more than a month its more like yearly

when i was in year seven it was cool to like stuff like slip not and skate and have quiksilver stuff

then by year nine it was cool to like rnb and hiphop year ten started listening to dnb year eleven a lot of the girls started wearing boho stuff i refuse to and all of a sudden started loving red hot chili peppers and razorlight and stuff even though they used to take the piss when i liked rhcp back in year 8 (i saw them in concert when they were better :))

and as i left school in year eleven i noticed all the year sevens were all dresed like proper chavs in addidas with klashnikoff blaring off their mobile phones. times change pretty quickly i guess
  • Options
    Reading? Reading isn't remotely geeky, not once you're a real life grown up anyway! If we're equating "geek" with "loser" then I consider people who don't read to be bigger losers, they're definitely losing out :razz:

As the socksy one said, it's cool to be a geek if you're secretly handsome/beautiful underneath. If you're a bona fide geek to the core... someone with binary code and Star Trek quotes written all the way through like a stick of rock... well then you're probably not a desirable, cool geek. Case in point, all those High School films of a few years back like She's All That. All the TV shows do it too, the geek £/$ is very strong, it seems... hip to be square and all that ;)
  • Options

:yes: i was in a BITCHY crowd at school and we were all trying to out-cool eachother i guess then in year eleven realised most of them were dickheads and started hanging around with different people who didnt constantly slag me off if i wasnt wearing the right stuff/ listening to the right music etc.
  • Options
    I think kids are hilarious these days, in Liverpool, there are tonnes of em who walk around like Al Capone arranging their "bidness".

Then the chavvy-hiphop ( i say hiphop i mean 50 fucking cent) lot can't form a sentence without "ya get me" and a ten minute long handshake at the end. Still they have to rep the streets till returning to their 4 bed detached house in the ghetto.. Lol.
  • Options
    I think kids are hilarious these days, in Liverpool, there are tonnes of em who walk around like Al Capone arranging their "bidness".

Then the chavvy-hiphop ( i say hiphop i mean 50 fucking cent) lot can't form a sentence without "ya get me" and a ten minute long handshake at the end. Still they have to rep the streets till returning to their 4 bed detached house in the ghetto.. Lol.

:lol: very true

seriously im from an area that is pretty alrite really a few trouble spots but im actually sick to death of everybody thinking its some sort of ghetto ...
  • Options
    if being a geek was cool i would have hundreds of friends...being a female sound engineer, who loves sci-fi and thinks that the highlight of the week is either dr who or playing with a new effects unit...i have no friends...well 3 maybe, but not many...

so no being a geek is not cool. but would you want a super hero that was popular? they would be too busy talking to their mates to save you...
  • Options
    :lol: very true

seriously im from an area that is pretty alrite really a few trouble spots but im actually sick to death of everybody thinking its some sort of ghetto ...

Tis Funny.

Goin out into de streets , to 'andle me bidness n ting, ya get me. Call da bois up - see who's mum can give us a lift in her Zafira.
  • Options
    Tis Funny.

Goin out into de streets , to 'andle me bidness n ting, ya get me. Call da bois up - see who's mum can give us a lift in her Zafira.

Hahaha true !

Im not desputing that there are some worser off areas where im from and i was brought up in one of them but i dont feel the need to act like a Gansta'

Unfortunately i know quite a lot of wannabe ganstas and there are quite a few round here i got with one a few weeks ago actually but i was constantly ripping it out of him because his sentences were like :

'Aah your trim ! boom ting ! You wanna be my link gyal?'
  • Options
    Hahaha true !

Im not desputing that there are some worser off areas where im from and i was brought up in one of them but i dont feel the need to act like a Gansta'

Unfortunately i know quite a lot of wannabe ganstas and there are quite a few round here i got with one a few weeks ago actually but i was constantly ripping it out of him because his sentences were like :

'Aah your trim ! boom ting ! You wanna be my link gyal?'

Fucking prick :no: