Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Has being a geek become cool?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to smoke marlboro red. But then i moved to lights, and i don't remember why.

Probably because you were starting to sound like Lemmy.
  • Options
    SETH COHEN :heart:
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    If geeks will never be considered cool, then is it just about having a boring personality? Cos there are plenty of people that consider themselves trendy and worship themselves that have the personality of a pair of plyers..

The old adage that if someone claims to be crazy, random, zany, mad, or anything else that might suggest they're interesting, you can guarentee they won't be?
  • Options
    No.

Being a geek is still, and will always be, the antithesis of cool. It's just that the goal posts shift; certain hobbies and activities stop being geeky and vice versa.

There's also the massive get out of clause that is irony. Doing something geeky but in a ironic manner makes it cool. Apparently.
  • Options
    The old adage that if someone claims to be crazy, random, zany, mad, or anything else that might suggest they're interesting, you can guarentee they won't be?

pretty much.

It annoys me/makes me cringe how hard you can see people trying sometimes, even just with little sayings and stuff..

Though i think everyones guilty of it on occasion (me included!), influence of the media or something i dunno- maybe 'who people are' is actually the way they mold themselves to people in the media or role models for some?
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Probably because you were starting to sound like Lemmy.

Quite possibly. Also, i suspect i thought if i were going to kill myself, the slower the better!

I still :heart: marlboro red.
  • Options
    I still :heart: marlboro red.

Nah Molly Lights all the way. Gotta protect your body after all :p
  • Options
    B&H and L&B are old peoples' fags. JUST TRUST ME ON THIS ONE SON, Red's are all rock n roll, like.

Reds are rank dude. It's what they all smoke in continental europe, and in doses of about 30 a day. Red's are a one way ticket to death if ever there was one. lol.
  • Options
    SETH COHEN :heart:

Now that I think about it....Weezer made geek chic cool, and Seth Cohen stole that look. :razz:
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Now that I think about it....Weezer made geek chic cool, and Seth Cohen stole that look. :razz:

It's TRUE! :crazyeyes but still- being an actual geek isn't cool, dressing like one but going to all the good gigs etc is where it's at.

Oh- and by the way- Marlboro lights all the way
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Reds are rank dude. It's what they all smoke in continental europe, and in doses of about 30 a day. Red's are a one way ticket to death if ever there was one. lol.

i don't even smoke and i agree that they're minging (from joints)
  • Options
    Red's are a one way ticket to death if ever there was one. lol.

Yeah, so like I said, rock n roll :razz:
  • Options
    Yeah, so like I said, rock n roll :razz:

Lol Along with Jack Daniels, Sex with diseased groupies and Heroin! :p

Man, wish I was a famous rock star! :D
  • Options
    Lol Along with Jack Daniels, Sex with diseased groupies and Heroin! :p

Switch heroin with cocaine and you have my plan for most weekends :razz:

Bearing in mind, plans never work out how you uh, plan.
  • Options
    Theres geek in us all i think. I reckon i've got geek sides to me but id generally say im just too cool for my own good :p
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Theres geek in us all i think. I reckon i've got geek sides to me but id generally say im just too cool for my own good :p

Modesty being one of your better points, huh? :p
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Modesty being one of your better points, huh? :p

Ha :p damn right.
  • Options
    Ahh it's so true! The younger kids these days have too much attitude. When I was a kid, we were so polite, now when I'm walking to college, there's a massive bunch of little chavs in front of me...all about 3 foot high and 10 years old, so I'm like "excuse me please"...They turn around and the 'ardest one (this kid is actually about 4 foot 5 :yes: ) starts threatening me.
    "What ya fuckin sayin bruv? Iz you dissin us yea? You a fukin prick innit blud." And all the little girls start laughing.
    I would have smacked their faces in but surely someone would report me to the NSPCC. Some of these kids need to remember how old they actually are.

Your like 19 :p

Who cares if geekiness is cool or uncool. Not i.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »

Lol You're only like a year or two older... mind you, you are getting on a bit. :p
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »

Errm everybody thats posted it would seem. :P
  • Options
    Everyone has a bit of geek inside them just some people are to shy to admit it i think it is being thought of as "cooler" than what it once was and i think thats a good thing as people wont get picked on for bein a geek as much nowadays
  • Options
    once you get to uni, no one cares. it comes down to whether or not you're social retarded instead :p
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »
    once you get to uni, no one cares. it comes down to whether or not you're social retarded instead :p

Pretty much.