Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Benefit Fraud

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As an NVQ student I have much less free periods than you would've had as an A-Level student.
  • Options
    That doesn't mean you can't work weekends.

I knew quite a few NVQ students at the place I worked whilst at college.
  • Options
    But I have coursework to do/work to finish at weekends.
  • Options
    Sofie I'm an NVQ student, and I just the same amount of free time as any other A Level or BTEC student I know. Obviously it depends on your course, but it's still possible to get work done and have a job. I always have done.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Sofie I'm an NVQ student, and I just the same amount of free time as any other A Level or BTEC student I know.

I don't have the asme amount of time as A-Level students. I was an A-Level student 2005/2006.
  • Options
    So does EVERY other student? Evenings are plenty if you make use of them and PLEASE don't tell me evenings aren't enough because I did it darling and I know many other students who do/did. It sounds like you are making up excuses for not having a job to me but whatever. Its up to you whether you work or not but you can hardly whinge about money if you won't actually go out and earn any. I'm sure there are people on your course that work and manage.
  • Options
    The ones that work on my course don't come in on a Friday for Key Skills.
  • Options
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I worked when I did my A Levels. I did nights as a glass collector in a bar/club, getting about £3 an hour. Not ideal as rubbish pay, smoky, had to get home at 3am, and was often tired in class. But I needed money.

Most 6th form students live at home so don't pay rent, bills or for food.

It's a million times more difficult for people who live in their own place and I imagine they would be the ones more likely (or at least with more need to) commit benefit fraud. Because they would be unable to continue with their studies without the extra money.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    The ones that work on my course don't come in on a Friday for Key Skills.

Your telling me they all only work Fridays?

There's plenty of jobs you could take to fit in around your course, especially in the evenings. My best mates work evenings, where as I work at weekends and any extra hours in the week, it just depends what free time you're willing to sacrifice. But all 3 of us work, and hold down our course, our revision/coursework, and a pretty decent social life, so I'm sorry, but I side with Stacey here, it is possible.
  • Options
    I wouldn't know. But like I've said, it's impossible to find some sort of decent job that's only a Saturday.
  • Options
    I wouldn't know. But like I've said, it's impossible to find some sort of decent job that's only a Saturday.

Thats why things like waitressing, and working in call centres are useful. (the jobs my friends do). The hours for both are flexable and avalible in evenings. Whereas I prefer to have my evenings free so I work daytimes in a shop. It's just about being detirmined.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I think it's very hard for mature students (by that I mean those who don't live at home and have to pay for their own upkeep) to get back into study. EMA is only for people aged 16 to 19 isn't it?

If you are in FE college rather than uni, you can't get a student loan. So people are encouraged to stay in low-wage jobs rather than go back to college and study.

Having said that, I don't agree with benefit fraud. But there should be some sort of help for people who want to study to better themselves, maybe some sort of loan system similar to the student loan for university.

At last, someone who gets it. Of course, bending benefit rules is not ideal, but its the only option some people have. Which is why colleges and jobcentres often collude with it.
  • Options

I think that might be your problem - you have high expectations. It's not about having a 'decent' job, it's about having a job full stop.

My sister does 4 full A levels, and gets an EMA. She also works till 2am on thursday and friday in a bar in order to get some money to go out on. It is doable.

I lived with someone in my final year of uni who got no support whatsoever from her parents - so as well as doing an intensive course (accounting with law), she worked about 25 hours a week. She got a good degree (2.1) and paid her own way throughout uni. It does sound to me like excuses are being made.
  • Options
    In my last year of 6th form, I was doing 4 A levels, an AS level, Grade 8 Music and a GCSE. That was before EMA and because I needed the money I had a job. It's all about decent time management and willingness to work for the money in any job rather than a 'decent' one. There are 8 hours in the day, 8 for sleeping, 8 at college and that still leaves 8 more.

It's not ideal if you need to work on top of college but it's perfectly doable.

And don't try and tell me that the above work load was less than an NVQ.
  • Options
    As an NVQ student I have much less free periods than you would've had as an A-Level student.

i was a degree student and still managed to work 18 hours a week
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    i was a degree student and still managed to work 18 hours a week

But how many hours did you have to be in uni for?
    I think that might be your problem - you have high expectations. It's not about having a 'decent' job, it's about having a job full stop.

I don't. It is actually impossible to find a decent job with decent working hours. (I'm not the only one who has said that either - my dad had exactly the same problem a few years ago)
  • Options
    And don't try and tell me that the above work load was less than an NVQ.

I also do Key Skills and a GCSE. I also have to do a work placement 2 days a week - that takes up about 17 hours a week
  • Options
    The 'my friend works a zillion hours and still goes to college' arguement I dislike because it usually stems from bitterness at other people having it better. Everyone has different situations and things you probably don't even know about.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    The 'my friend works a zillion hours and still goes to college' arguement I dislike because it usually stems from bitterness at other people having it better. Everyone has different situations and things you probably don't even know about.

And all course require different amounts of coursework and theory to learn.
    It does sound to me like excuses are being made.

I take it you live in Plymouth then and do know how hard it is to find a job?:yeees:

And I haven't just had to do an NVQ this year either - I've also done First Aid & Food Hygiene certificates.
  • Options
    Who cares if sixth formers work or not, if they don't need to in order to survive?
    Don't see why people are getting at Sofie or anyone else.

Let's be honest, it's quite rubbish working when you are 16 or 17. Isn't the minimum wage something ridiculous like £3 an hour? And usually the only sort of job you can get is a dead-end, tedious one where you get treated badly...(this is going from my own and friends experiences).
  • Options
    But how many hours did you have to be in uni for?

i was in most days 8/9-4/5

started my shifts at 6

i also had to do all the shopping and most of the housework as i am kinda my mum's carer

my point is, if you NEED the money, and can work, you should! my situation was hard, i was tired, but it IS do-able in most cases...

i can see where ya coming from katchika but the girl in question obviously needed the money, but could most probably could have got it bworking rather than claiming a benefit she wasnt entitled to

i'm not preaching, and of course people's situations are different :)
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    And all course require different amounts of coursework and theory to learn.

I take it you live in Plymouth then and do know how hard it is to find a job?:yeees:

And I haven't just had to do an NVQ this year either - I've also done First Aid & Food Hygiene certificates.

Im going to jump in as i live in Plymouth and i can say it is bloody hard trying to find work down here. Although i can't say anything about it being hard to find PT work such as bar staff etc...... everything else im going for is a nightmare.

Sofie what sort of hours on what days do you have free if you were to work?
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    Im going to jump in as i live in Plymouth and i can say it is bloody hard trying to find work down here. Although i can't say anything about it being hard to find PT work such as bar staff etc...... everything else im going for is a nightmare.

Sofie what sort of hours on what days do you have free if you were to work?

Only a Saturday and Sunday.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Only a Saturday and Sunday.

If money is tight, there should be plenty of bar staff work around on Friday and Saturday nights, surely even working in a shop in the City Centre during the day
  • Options
    my point is, if you NEED the money, and can work, you should! my situation was hard, i was tired, but it IS do-able in most cases...

I don't get how students not working is going to have an effect on you and your life other than the 'it's unfair' arguement.
  • Options

Exactly.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    how does it appear that from my posts?? I quote myself:
    I didn't say there wasnt adults in FE but if an adult has been working in the gap between school and taking extra qualifications they're in a better situation to support themselves with possible saved up money

Not everyone has an easy life, not everyone can save money.
    I turned 16 last month!!! most kids do get their food and housing paid for, don't know many kids who live at home but their parents charge them for the food they consume

OK, I didn't realise you were so young. However, there are 16 year olds who don't have parents who support them.
    Whenever I've got birthday or xmas money I've put the majority of it straight into my bank account and limit what I spend so the money I do have lasts me throughout the year

Fairynuff :)
  • Options
    I didn't say it was you making excuses particularly, i just meant generally. I worked a really shit job when i was at uni, but it paid. Hey ho.
  • Options
    I don't get how students not working is going to have an effect on you and your life other than the 'it's unfair' arguement.

i didnt say it did effect my life, i was giving an opinion as have a lot of people in this topic!

BUT

students who are capable of working, but dont and claim a benefit fraudulantly are wrong and are commiting a crime. end of.

nowhere have i said ALL students should work, if you can get by without it, great...but the girl in question obviously couldnt get by without it so should have worked!