Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Uni Massacre...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Was it you who said they shot a gun in the USA and said it was "fucking brilliant" but guns shoul dbe locked safely in an armoury?
    Yes. And I'm sure flying a MIG 29 combat aircraft is fucking brilliant too but I would not forget that the real purpose of that piece of machinery is, and would not advocate individuals owning them- not armed ones anyway.

If people like shooting there should be shooting clubs for all to enjoy. And at the end of the day they can leave the weapons where they belong- at the shooting club.
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    I always try and think before I post.

Should I nitpick about your use of the word "everyone" or just enquire about the "big picture" you are accusing me of ignoring ?

What "big picture" ? :confused::confused:

The big picture is the original topic of the thread, whilst you just ask 'speculation?' 'admitted speculation?' to every post, you never ask constructive questions, I said I think handguns should be banned, you then asked should nobody be allowed them... well that's just what I said wasn't it? Yes there may be leeway in exceptional circumstances, but they're banned in the UK, PCs don't carry them, creating a gun free environment which correlates statistically with our lower rate of gun crime and gun fatalities.

Or is that pure coincidence? You just seem to be saying statistics don't mean anything really, they're just arbitary numbers with no link to real life whatsoever, which kind of undermines centuries of scientific methodology. And starting that debate here is completely derailing the thread.
  • Options
    If you feel someone is stopping debate it'll be best to stop replying, rather than continuing to discuss their points - however valid the counter-points might be
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    If you feel someone is stopping debate it'll be best to stop replying, rather than continuing to discuss their points - however valid the counter-points might be

Good point Jim. We won't reply to you anymore. :p
  • Options
    :grump:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The big picture is the original topic of the thread, whilst you just ask 'speculation?' 'admitted speculation?' to every post, you never ask constructive questions, I said I think handguns should be banned, you then asked should nobody be allowed them... well that's just what I said wasn't it? Yes there may be leeway in exceptional circumstances, but they're banned in the UK, PCs don't carry them, creating a gun free environment which correlates statistically with our lower rate of gun crime and gun fatalities.

Or is that pure coincidence? You just seem to be saying statistics don't mean anything really, they're just arbitary numbers with no link to real life whatsoever, which kind of undermines centuries of scientific methodology. And starting that debate here is completely derailing the thread.

The statistics are true, but its not the whole picture. The Uk banned handguns which were held by a statistically small part of the population. Since that time gun crime has actually increased, so you could use statistics to show making firearms illegal leads to increased gun crime (I don't believe that to be honest there's a whole host of factors).

You can't compare England, Scotland and Wales to the US. Removing guns from the former is easy, removing them from the latter is a lot more difficult. Especially since many of the areas with high gun legal gun ownership and with fewer restrictions suffer few gun deaths than parts of the US with stronger legal controls.
  • Options
    The statistics are true, but its not the whole picture. The Uk banned handguns which were held by a statistically small part of the population. Since that time gun crime has actually increased, so you could use statistics to show making firearms illegal leads to increased gun crime (I don't believe that to be honest there's a whole host of factors).
    Well yes, it leads to an increase in the "gun crime" of possessing an illegal firearm. ;)

I agree though. I think that firearm control is part of the problem, but it is in no way the biggest issue, which is why people feel the need to own a gun in the first place. Like you said, Britain had legal firearms, yet nobody actually owned them, so why was that? That fact also pretty much renders any argument that any increase in gun crime is a result of poor citizen not being able to defend themselves against the criminals that still have them, because the vast, vast majority of these poor citizens never had a gun to defend themselves in the first place.
  • Options
    The big picture is the original topic of the thread, whilst you just ask 'speculation?' 'admitted speculation?' to every post, you never ask constructive questions,

Ignoring the false "every", those two posts of mine where to assertions by others that seemed like pure speculation to me.
    I said I think handguns should be banned, you then asked should nobody be allowed them... well that's just what I said wasn't it? Yes there may be leeway in exceptional circumstances, but they're banned in the UK, PCs don't carry them, creating a gun free environment which correlates statistically with our lower rate of gun crime and gun fatalities.

So that`s a "no".

The thread was started with this sole assertion:
    When will America realise these things will keep happening if guns are freely available.

My contributions initially consisted of stating facts in response to what seemed like the false claims of others.

This was followed by discourse with others with me disagreeing from a moral/philosophical point of view to others. Isn`t that what a debate is ? :chin:

You eventually joined in by accusing me of derailing the thread and ignoring the big picture.Bizarre.

Back to your question.

I`d suggest that statistics are merely a tool. Useful at times, misleading at others.

I, no doubt, could dig up pages of statistics that prove(:lol::lol::lol::lol: ) you wrong.

Then you could reply with pages more that prove (:lol::lol::lol::lol: ) me wrong.

Is that what you would like to do ( perhaps in the interests of science) ?
  • Options
    Like you said, Britain had legal firearms, yet nobody actually owned them, so why was that? That fact also pretty much renders any argument that any increase in gun crime is a result of poor citizen not being able to defend themselves against the criminals that still have them, because the vast, vast majority of these poor citizens never had a gun to defend themselves in the first place.

As you pointed out in the former paragraph, "gun crime" is what you make it.

Given that,I`m unsure who, if anyone,in this thread has presented the argument that any increase in gun crime is a result of poor citizen not being able to defend themselves against the criminals that still have them.