Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

compensation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
got an offer today but not too happy with it (lost 25% from reporting late to police.. not much you can do about that tho..)

basically what it is.. they have only seemed to take into consideration the physical side of things when calculating the amount.. it doesnt look like they've put anything in for the mental distress.. can turning down the offer and trying to push for more (for the trauma) result in getting less than the orignal amount offered ? .. if there was a risk of that happening i'd probably just stick with what ive been offered now..

cheers :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    judge judy never gives money for emotional/mental distress

hope u aint too badly done in

sorry i couldnt be of more help lol x
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    judge judy never gives money for emotional/mental distress

judge judy deals with the biggest load of shite tho! not serious assaults! (+they're a load of daft yanks)
  • Options
    IIRC, it's to do with any medical help you've required, loss of earnings and possibly other things but I'm sure there was never anything about mental distress.
  • Options
    ive another claim coming in for trauma .. and this thing was actually mentally a lot worse than the other.. so i don't see why not
  • Options
    Well, how on earth are you able to prove that you were 'mentally distressed'?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Well, how on earth are you able to prove that you were 'mentally distressed'?

by going to a physciatrist or whatever?
  • Options
    Don't think you can get compensation for that unless it stopped you from working.
  • Options
    I don't know if you would recieve compensation for the emotional and mental distress you have suffered, I expect if you can show that it impaired upon your way of life then you might have a case. If you have needed medication from your doctor to help you sleep or deal with the mental stress, if you were unable to work, if you had to recieve councelling etc all show how you may have been affected on an emotional level. I expect you would need to speak to your solicitor or a CAB advisor.
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    I don't know if you would recieve compensation for the emotional and mental distress you have suffered, I expect if you can show that it impaired upon your way of life then you might have a case. If you have needed medication from your doctor to help you sleep or deal with the mental stress, if you were unable to work, if you had to recieve councelling etc all show how you may have been affected on an emotional level. I expect you would need to speak to your solicitor or a CAB advisor.

Doesn't pretty mucxh all of this come under medical help? (when I say medical help I mean help with general living and medicines)
  • Options
    I expect if you can show that it impaired upon your way of life then you might have a case. If you have needed medication from your doctor to help you sleep or deal with the mental stress, if you were unable to work, if you had to recieve councelling etc all show how you may have been affected on an emotional level.

all true

be down to solicitor asap

cheers
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    if it's affected your sex life, apparently thats a big deciding factor.. or is that just for injuries/accidents at work :-s

seriously?
  • Options
    I was in a car accident on 4th april last year. And my claim still hasn't been settled!

My sister is claiming for physical injury as well as mental injury as she suffers from OCD and PTSD since teenage years and the accident exacibated it, so it's being added to her claim for comp as it's affected her both work/sex life.
  • Options
    My sister is claiming for physical injury as well as mental injury as she suffers from OCD and PTSD since teenage years and the accident exacibated it, so it's being added to her claim for comp as it's affected her both work/sex life.

Can this actually be proved though? I can understand PTSD being proved that it's become worse, but unsure about OCD. Although I did get told that OCD can be brought on/triggered by stressful events.
  • Options
    Yes, she's a regular visitor to her ADHD Consultant in London so he records everything that goes on with her. He's writing a report about her mental state before and after the accident. Hopefully the other side will accept that and pay out.
  • Options
    cheeers fort the reples