Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If someone cheated on you, how did you find out?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Jesus christ, reading the infamous story for the first time. Sounds like she seriously had some screws loose. Reminds me of the simpsons episode with homer and his lobster friend, which he accidently cooks and cries all the time about him, as he eats him.

your g/f crying to you, what horrible mistakes she's doing, while continuously fucking with him. 0% regret.

And you went back to her?

Well technically, she came back to me, is the way I think of it. But that was long and drawn out and we were just being friends (took about 5 months or so of friendship I think). Not sure how it got beyond friends, but it did. But yea, major major trust issues now. I still get flashbacks that make me angry and upset, and get in a mood and want to split up with her - but it's not for anything she's doing now, but because of my memories. I still remember I couldn't look at her after we split when everything became obvious.

I threw up when I found out, too :eek2:. The dodgy thing is, if I hadn't have seen the text messages, her behaviour didn't change at all. Although the guy was a bit of an emotional leech and telling her it wasn't wrong it was love and I was an abusive boyfriend?? I think she fell for it when she was stuck between us, but as soon as I was gone she saw him for what he was and how much she'd f*cked things up. I think when she was in a relationship with me, for whatever reason, she didn't think it was wrong, except that I'd get upset if I found out.

As for the OP: don't worry about being silly, really. Everyone has suspicions, and they're horrid, especially if there are powergames and the other party makes you feel like you're a paranoid, delusional, terrible partner. I mean, sometimes a text is just a text, but sometimes it could imply more. For example, this guy saying what a perfect day he'd had with my girlfriend. Nothing conclusive, but definately a bit fishy (when do you say that to someone when you just hang out with them?).

I feel a bit rotten now. :grump:
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    yeah but to be fair it's standard relationship stuff. With any boyfriend you're bound to have a sneaky look at their texts, especially near the beginning of a relationship. I know I've done it.

:no: I don't agree. I regard my phone as private and if any boyfriend of mine read my text messages, I really wouldn't be happy about it. If someone feels the need to look at your text messages then they clearly don't trust you.

I've never done it in the past and never will, purely because in my head, its wrong to.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Anyway, tried to put it past us - only texting afterall. She says she doesn't want to see / talk to him anymore as it's too much pressure on us. Good. But then she says he's offered to let her go round her house to watch TV. She does. Every week. I stand by like a numpty - afterall it would be wrong of me to stop my girlfriend seeing a friend, even if she had flirted with him, wouldn't it? Then she told me one day it was physical. I was upset.

This is like, EXACTLY what happened with me, only a week or so ago!
    She kept telling me she wanted me and they were just friends, then when we argued she told me the truth that she was with him now, getting physical, needed to concentrate on her relationship with him and not me. Blocked me on msn and deleted me from her myspace friends list and pretty much made sure i knew she had lied about getting with him and telling me i was paranoid to think they were cheating was just her trying to cover up the truth. It all happened very quickly, but it feels like it went on for ages!

I personally think Cheaters are horrible people! If you are with some one, either be with them or break up with them before you go off with some one else! It isn't fair to be go off cheating!
  • Options
    yeah but to be fair it's standard relationship stuff. With any boyfriend you're bound to have a sneaky look at their texts, especially near the beginning of a relationship. I know I've done it.

not true at all.

i've never been tempted to read through a boyfriends messages! so it's not 'standard' at all. it's plain nosey.
  • Options

Surely if you trust them enough, you wouldn't think twice about looking at their phone?

Personally, it's not something I would do. I hate people looking through my phone so it's be wrong of me to want to do that to any boyfriend (or anyone for that amtter) I may have.
  • Options
    First bf and last time i've been cheated on....here's how it went, i called him and...

Girl: Hello
    Me: Hi, is [insert name] there?
    Girl: Who wants to know?
    Me: Errr me!
    Girl: and who might you be?
    Me: His gf, who are you? where's [insert name]
    Girl: He's busy [giggle]...and btw, you're not his gf anymore

And over the next two years i got phone calls from him while they were having sex (i'm the 1st person in his phone book) and had to put up with her whenever i was over at his house (he's a family friend and she took up permanent residence there). Not fun :/
  • Options

I hope to god you're kidding :/ If I found a chick I was seeing going through my phone she'd be getting kicked from the nearest window.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I hope to god you're kidding :/ If I found a chick I was seeing going through my phone she'd be getting kicked from the nearest window.

Same. I kicked a bloke out of a hotel when i found him going through my phone. The fact he cried and told the receptionist he loved me made it even more hilarious :D
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Same. I kicked a bloke out of a hotel when i found him going through my phone. The fact he cried and told the receptionist he loved me made it even more hilarious :D

No, phsyically out of a window :razz:

I mean this in the nicest way possible and aim it at noone in particular, but if the people you're seeing have to put up with this kind of crazy/paranoid behaviour, is it any wonder they cheat on you?
  • Options
    No, I mean actually out of a window :razz:

I kicked him out of the door, it's practically the same but without the glass :p
  • Options
    I agree. When I was 12 and got my first phone it was cool to switch phones look at the stupid texts people had gotten forwarded (you know, these ugly "you've been sent the lovebear!!" or some other shit 'image' texts).

I wouldn't allow anybody to go through my texts today, I don't even see what purpose it would serve. Just like I'm not allowing anybody to go through my emails or MSN chat history. I'd feel pretty mad if any of those happened behind my back.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I wouldn't allow anybody to go through my texts today, I don't even see what purpose it would serve. Just like I'm not allowing anybody to go through my emails or MSN chat history. I'd feel pretty mad if any of those happened behind my back.

Aye, and just like you wouldn't let anyone go through your drawers or wardrobe. It's plain irritating if notihng else.
  • Options
    I just dont let anyone go through my stuff. Doesnt matter how much I trust you its not going to happen. I wouldnt do it to anyone else, so they can put up or shut up.
  • Options

ha well only if I've got reason to. It's better to find out yourself if someone's cheating on you or whatever than continue letting them take the piss out of you.
  • Options
    Maybe if you've got reason to, but it's certainly not 'standard' relationship stuff. I wouldn't say anyone's bound to, either :/
  • Options
    I think once the trust boundary is broken the relationship is fucked anyway so looking through their stuff wont make the slightest bit of difference. I've done it before, wouldnt bother again though - if I felt the need to check their phone i'd just end things there and then.
  • Options
    I take it that most of you know how to lock your keypad with a 4-digit pin instead of pressing the default ENTER-STAR buttons? :-)
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I take it that most of you know how to lock your keypad with a 4-digit pin instead of pressing the default ENTER-STAR buttons? :-)

Yes. Discoverd how to do this accidently a few weeks ago.:o
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

Yeah, but then you need to press another five buttons every time you want to look at your phone. That would get annoying fast.
  • Options

I have done that in that past. I won't do it to every guy but sometimes I just want to check that they're not texting any other girls. You know if its the beginnings of things and its too early to have 'the talk'. Yeh its immoral but I don't care :p

As far as I know I've never been cheated on but that doesn't mean anthing does it. Although I've never suspected it either.
  • Options
    TBH I don't care if some people see it as an invasion of privacy. If my chap looked through my phone all he would find is texts from my mates, family, and stuff like "how's Bob?" (bf not called Bob but you get the idea)

I've been messed about so much in the past, been out with complete players and I want to know what I am getting into. In a way I am glad I looked in this guy's phone, at least I now have a fairly good idea that he's seeing other women and so I won't get so emotionally involved and I'm staying on my guard.

In an ideal world people would never feel suspicious of each other but life isn't like that. I certainly think looking through someone's phone is far less of a crime/bad thing than pretending to be having an exclusive relationship while sleeping with other women!
  • Options
    The whole checking txts/emails thing is a minefield. Personally, if my gf wanted to look through my shit all she'd have to do is ask...is this an admission of guilt? or is this just the fact that its my stuff and asking permission is the right thing to do? does that mean that i dont trust her and arent open with everything i have? or is it just the same as....your diary....your bank statements....something meant for you?
    See, minefield.

As for the OP: ive never found out ive been cheated on, but ive cheated and been caught in some stupid ways.
    First time, i told one person i thought i could trust what had happend and due to petty jealousy it was then told to everyone and all hell broke loose.
    Other than that, a girl i was seeing asked me how many people id slept with on a particularly drunk night out and my numbers didnt match up with what id said at the start of our relationship - whoops indeed.
    I tell you, learnt my lesson over the years.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree. I know you may have suspicions, and I'm sorry if he is cheating, but this has always been wrong to me. It's like reading someone's diary. I'd say if you're finding yourself having to read his texts, then your relationship has issues whether he's cheating or not...
    I don't agree - if you have reasonable and strong enough reasons to think he's cheating then it's acceptable. I really wouldn't mind if my partner read my texts because he had reasonable suspicions.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I don't agree - if you have reasonable and strong enough reasons to think he's cheating then it's acceptable. I really wouldn't mind if my partner read my texts because he had reasonable suspicions.
    :yes:.

I wouldn't mind if Rich read my texts anyway, the vast majority of them are from him and I have nothing to hide.

I found out I was cheated on because he wrote it on his LiveJournal, although he then pretended someone had hacked his LJ and written an essay of an entry to make me think he'd cheated on me. Not quite sure why I fell for that one, mind. Discovered it was all true about two years later :D. He probably cheated on me with loads of other people as well, but I don't care, really *shrug*.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I found out I was cheated on because he wrote it on his LiveJournal
    What a retard! Seriously. Doing shit like that people deserve to get caught!
  • Options
    Boyfriend (although we technically weren't bf/gf at the time, just seriously seeing eachother) got off with my "best mate".

Found out because he showed up right when I had to go back in for a lesson, I didn't know he was working in the area/behind us but mate had suddenly turned and gone back, and I got a phonecall off him once she'd reached him. I think I kind of knew then, but of course I trusted her if not him. So off they buggered, and then that night on msn he mentioned showing her a cave in the woods we'd er, spent time in.

Next day I can tell something is bothering her, so after some coaxing she lets slip that she kissed him, right by the Tesco security guard so I couldn't thump her. :grump: Confronted him on msn that night and he confessed all.

I've never ever read a boyfriends texts, although I've only had two, but my ex would never ever have cheated on me, and even after the above, I know my now boyfriend of two years would never cheat on me. He'd just smoke behind my back and lie about it, or get confused about what he wants and clam up completely. :rolleyes:

The "best mate" is still on my hit list. :mad:
  • Options
    my ex and my best mate slept together ,,i found out ,by her telling me over the phone ,because she thought he wa soff to tell me ,and she wanted to get in first..then she wanted me to give her credit for telling me before him.:eek: the cheek of the little slapper..

anyhow ,i forgave but couldnt forget ,so our relationship was doomed..realise now ,how much better i am without him,;)
  • Options
    By reading their texts. Not something I would do on a regular basis, but they were acting incredibly suspiciously and I was proved to be correct.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I have done that in that past. I won't do it to every guy but sometimes I just want to check that they're not texting any other girls. You know if its the beginnings of things and its too early to have 'the talk'. Yeh its immoral but I don't care :p

As far as I know I've never been cheated on but that doesn't mean anthing does it. Although I've never suspected it either.

Thats crazy. Why couldn't a new bf text other girls - i'd go fuckin mental if a girl touched my fone.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Thats crazy. Why couldn't a new bf text other girls - i'd go fuckin mental if a girl touched my fone.
    I'd be really suspicious if my bf did that and it would make me want to look even more.