Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If someone cheated on you, how did you find out?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'

Comments

• Options
    He just rang me up and told me, probably due to the fact someone else would tell me if he didn't, which is what happened the second time he did it.

Thankfully it wasn't anything serious so i wasn't too bothered.
  • Options
    Checked his emails and logged into his Gaydar account :D
  • Options
    The first time the guy told me but wasn't anything serious so let him off, till he deicided that gave him permission to always cheat :chin:. Second time a mate spotted him cheating and told me
  • Options
    My mate saw her with someone else and told me pretty much as it was happening.
  • Options
    This is about 6 odd years ago for me now...

My best friend used to babysit for people in our area to raise a bit of extra cash, she was given the phone number of a lady (I use that term loosely) who needed a babysitter so she gave them a ring on her landline to confirm dates etc, guess who answered the phone? My boyfriend!!! He had quite a distinctive voice on the phone so she knew it was him, he was even as stupid as to confirm it was him before he realised who he was speaking to!!

He had cheated before that but I hadn't realised - he told all our mutual friends we had split up (when we hadn't to my knowledge!) and I wondered why I was getting all this sympathy from people. Then I saw a friends photos from a festival they had all been to - I had been at home with our son, and it all clicked into place :( I had already kicked him out by then thankfully.
  • Options
    Erm, well, firstly, saw over her shoulder getting texts from this guy, and she said it was another friend, so I was a bit suspicious. A few days later, I saw over her shoulder (as you do when they answer a text) he had sent her a rather dirty one involving a shower. I asked her. She said it was one off, I was upset obv. because I didn't know what else had been said. Checked the rest of her messages - she'd been saying the same thing to him for weeks.

Anyway, tried to put it past us - only texting afterall. She says she doesn't want to see / talk to him anymore as it's too much pressure on us. Good. But then she says he's offered to let her go round her house to watch TV. She does. Every week. I stand by like a numpty - afterall it would be wrong of me to stop my girlfriend seeing a friend, even if she had flirted with him, wouldn't it? Then she told me one day it was physical. I was upset.

She stopped seeing him again. For about three weeks. Then started seeing him more and more, going online more and more (before this, she never ever went online except to check emails), she wouldn't talk to me when she WAS online, just say 'how are you' 'i love you' over and over. Then I asked her to send me a chat log, and it had suspicious things in (I found out later she had edited the bit out about him kissing her). She had emails from him saying what a 'perfect day' he'd had with her... but as far as I knew they hadn't done anything. She said he was just weird.

I had a lot of suspicions, people were telling me, everything really, but I wouldn't let myself believe it, until I tricked him into confessing everything like an idiot. Then I broke up with her, but had a holiday booked the next week. (this was sunday we broke up). Saturday she went into town and just spent the whole time making out with this guy.

Week we went on hols, he thought she was his now, but she kept saying how she'd always love me in a way she couldn't love anyone else, and things with me would always be more special... cue erotic love scenes :rolleyes:. Then, friday we got back, saturday she spent the whole day at his... can't believe she wasn't tired out by then. Anyway, after that, said I didn't really want to speak to her. But after a week or so she climbed back into my bed, then she said he was awful, horrible, that she couldn't stand him in every way, then she met this guy over the internet for a random encounter, I said I wanted space, she cried. She wasn't seeing the first guy at this point, he was suicidial and trying to lure her back.

In the end though, everything else fizzled out and we became friends again. And friends turned into more. Makes me feel a bit dumb saying it all though. Sorry, kind of went past the point didn't I?
  • Options
    First one (about six years ago) was honest enough to tell me. It wasn't a massive shock because the bloke she went off with made it pretty clear to both of us that he fancied her. Me being me I said it didn't matter, but then she went and dumped me for him. That was nice.

Second one everybody told me that she was bad for putting it about a bit, but I didn't listen and ploughed on regardless. I think it hit home when she was round at mine around Xmas time and she wasn't even trying to hide the fact that she was on the phone to her bloke in the next room. Lived in denial for a while after that, but it still fucks with my head a bit even now.

Third one didn't actually cheat, but stung me for money for a kid that wasn't mine. Didn't find out it wasn't mine till I went and confronted her and she broke down. I just sort of took her word for it. Oops..

I'm quite spineless tbh.
  • Options
    My ex just come straight out with it but looking back there werent any signs to say he'd been cheating
  • Options
    what's making you suspicious?
  • Options
    First time was with my first love. We had been together about a year whilst at college. He was a year older than me and was going to University. In Freshers week, he ended up kissing one of the girls he lived with in halls. He rang me up the day afterwards and told me straight away. I just dumped him, the trust had been broken. When I look back though, I think that maybe I shouldn't have done. He was honest, he told me he had made a mistake and he was sorry.

The second, third and fourth time was with my ex of three years. He was too much of a coward to tell me himself and I always found out off other people. However, with the third girl he had slept with behind my back, he denied it for months despite me being paranoid (which I never was because it turned out I was right) then randomly told me. I really should have dumped him the first time he treated me like shit though. I was just in a really bad place at the time and was sorta dependent on him :o What a freak I was.

I'll never let a guy cheat on me again and get away with it. The guy I've talked about above told me he would never do anything again after the first time yet it happened twice more and tbh, I don't believe for a second he didn't cheat on me even more especially when we both went to University. However, I don't really give a shit now, all of the girls he did cheat on me with were known as being desperate, easy slappers.
  • Options
    '
  • Options
    well i would say you should never read someone elses messages! but i guess at least it made you perhaps find something out. though of course you don't know the full story behind the txts - could be perfectly innocent in which case it maybe serves you right for snooping! ;) if you're not willing to fess up about it then you'll never know.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I don't like to have the piss taken out of me.

Some blokes pay for that :D
  • Options
    I happened to notice him spending a lot more time out over a period of about a week, then he didn't come home because he was staying with a "friend". Would have been a lot more convincing if he actually had some friends tbh. He should have known that I'm not an idiot, and I notice stuff like that.
  • Options
    When I look back though, I think that maybe I shouldn't have done. He was honest, he told me he had made a mistake and he was sorry.

I'll never let a guy cheat on me again and get away with it.

:p
  • Options
    Aye. I won't let a guy cheat on me again.

What I'm saying is, I think I was a little harsh on my first love. I dumped him for kissing a girl when he admitted to it straight away, was sorry and realised he was in the wrong THEN I let some moron cheat on me at least 3 times and this wasn't just kissing, it was sex.

If I didn't dump the first guy, I would never have ended up with the moron I ended up with for 3 years.
  • Options
    well i would say you should never read someone elses messages!

Yeah I agree. I know you may have suspicions, and I'm sorry if he is cheating, but this has always been wrong to me. It's like reading someone's diary. I'd say if you're finding yourself having to read his texts, then your relationship has issues whether he's cheating or not...
  • Options
    '
  • Options
    There were two things.

My bestfriend was at sixth form with the girl who he cheated on me with. She didn't realise that my bestfriend knew me or anything so was bragging about seeing a guy called J...who was unhappy in his relationship and that they had kissed etc...Anyway my bestfriend asked the girl his last name and it matched up.

Then when I confronted J he left the room saying 'Don't look at my text messages! They're incriminating!' So he leaves the room and I look and yup they were. Cue me throwing a book at his head and walking out the flat.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Erm, well, firstly, saw over her shoulder getting texts from this guy, and she said it was another friend,

*words*

Jesus christ, reading the infamous story for the first time. Sounds like she seriously had some screws loose. Reminds me of the simpsons episode with homer and his lobster friend, which he accidently cooks and cries all the time about him, as he eats him.

your g/f crying to you, what horrible mistakes she's doing, while continuously fucking with him. 0% regret.

And you went back to her?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Rachael wrote: »
    Then when I confronted J he left the room saying 'Don't look at my text messages! They're incriminating!' So he leaves the room and I look and yup they were. Cue me throwing a book at his head and walking out the flat.
    :chin: Sounds like he set himself up.
    "Officer, you can see everything I have on me except the bloody knife in the left pocket in my jacket. It proves me guilty for the murder you're investigating."
  • Options
    Found out in the worst way, when me and the ex last year split, he ignored me completely for weeks without giving me a proper explanation...It was hard but I began to heal from the split until he started texting, asking me back out again. I said no, and he mistakingly sent me a msg meant for his girlfriend clearly.

I got myself checked out at the GUM clinic and found out I had chlamydia. Fucker.
  • Options
    :chin: Sounds like he set himself up.
    "Officer, you can see everything I have on me except the bloody knife in the left pocket in my jacket. It proves me guilty for the murder you're investigating."

Yeah. Another case of 'I dont have the guts to tell you but hey take a gander at my mobby instead'.

Halloween that is so shit. Times like these that I really wish karma existed.
  • Options
    The times that i've been cheated on i'm fairly sure they've just come out an told me. I've never like caught anyone at it, or seen anything. There was one occassion where i was using a boyfriends phone and i read a text where he slagged me off and he was blatantly shaggin whoever it was, but then it was a really casual relationship and i wasn't overly fond of him anyway.
  • Options
    He started acting really weird after we had a house party one wknd, his ex was at the party and i started wondering if tats why he was acting weird so i asked him if something happened with her he said no, but i knew he was lying so i rang her and pretended he told me something happened between them and she confirmed they'd slept together..
  • Options
    I rang him one time. Some girl answered... the conversation went as follows

Her: "Hello?"
    Me: "Erm hi. Is Jack there?"
    H: "He's in the shower... who's this?"
    M: "His girlfriend...."
    H: "Erm, I think you've got the wrong Jack, I'm his girlfriend..."
    M: "Hmmm really? Yeah, let me speak to him."
    H: "He's in the shower - who ARE you!! "
    M: "I don't care, put him ON THE PHONE!"

Haha cue me giving him a RIGHT ear bashing. I'm thinking the other girl caught on as well, because just as I was hanging up I heard a few slammed doors. Hahahahaha. Bastard.

ETA; Although to this day he reckons I made it up. My friend knew him from his old school, and when I told her about it she asked him. He spun her this line about how I'd made it all up because I was too cowardly to break up with him to his face. :lol: Then my mate did some calculations and worked out that he'd actually been going out with a third girl who was inher class at the same time. He soon shut up, god bless him. Haven't spoke to him in years
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    The thing is, I do trust him, or I did till I read the texts. Even now I've read them I don't really believe he is seeing someone else, I'm just keeping my eyes open.

I wouldn't really care if someone read my texts, I'm not sleeping around or doing anything I shouldn't be..

just because you wouldn't mind him reading your texts, doesn't mean it's okay for you to read his. even if he didn't have anything to hide.
  • Options
    I caught mine in the act. But he was also very honest (to a fault...) and told me everything in great detail afterwards (though it was kissing, not sex, so there wasn't tooooo much detail, thank the Lord!).

I don't know what you should do about this texting lark... Are you familiar with his friends? If it's a friend he's texting, why not ask after her and see how he replies? Or you could play about with his phone, then ask if you can read his messages (me and my boyfriend read each others, but maybe in your relationship this would be unusual) and then see how he reacts, ie. yes or no, etc.
  • Options
    just because you wouldn't mind him reading your texts, doesn't mean it's okay for you to read his. even if he didn't have anything to hide.

yeah but to be fair it's standard relationship stuff. With any boyfriend you're bound to have a sneaky look at their texts, especially near the beginning of a relationship. I know I've done it.
  • Options
    She kept lying about it and starting arguments because i was suspisious and didnt trust her. Then eventually she just got so pissed off she told me i was right all along and she was cheating!