Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Side effects...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im just going by experience - thats what they put me on at 15, apparently wasnt as harsh as prozac back then; or thats what they told me anyway. that was three years ago now though, so i guess things have changed
  • Options
    Oooo i found the leaflet...

it can affect your sexual activities...:nervous:
  • Options
    i was given prozac when i was 16 and i've been on and off it since. it does work for me with very little side effects, but for some dumb ass reason i stop taking it and then my depression reappears.
    some people can be "cured" as such and never have to take it again, where as some need to take it for a long period of time. everybodies different.

i was told it would take about 4 weeks before i saw any significant change.

hope it works for you.
  • Options
    thanks....:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Oooo i found the leaflet...

it can affect your sexual activities...:nervous:
    yep one of the side affects of those kind of antidepressents is it reduces your sex drive.
  • Options
    Ahh doesnt matter. im not getting any atm as it is :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Ahh doesnt matter. im not getting any atm as it is :(
    Of course you aren't, you're 15. And adding atm to make it look like there has possibly been a period when you were getting it is just annoying! :p
  • Options
    OK can I just come in here and do some clarifying:

1. Prozac isn't a horror story for everyone who takes it, it does has side effects as most ADs do, but it also has benefits and when taking it you should be closely monitored by your GP. That said for some people it won't work, but there are other drugs and treatments...

2. Drugs work best in conjunction with a talking therapy.

3. If the side effects don't subside to any great effect after a few weeks your GP will recommend you try something else. You should always be totally honest with your doctor on how you are feeling and what side effects you are experiencing. They can't second guess you.

4. Common side effects of prozac include drowsiness, anxiety (so if you suffer from panic attacks it may be better to try a different AD), sweating, low libido, nausea, dry mouth, and insomnia. For more info look at the information slip that comes with your drugs and/or ask your GP.

5. If circumstances require it GPs will give ads to younger teens, it is less common these days, but still happens.

Useful factsheets on TheSite:

What is depression?

CBT (TALKING THERAPY)

Counselling

antidepressant overview

Prozac

keep taking the tablets feature

Prozac - Drugscope page

Thanks, Susie :)
  • Options
    thanks you so much susie...:D great help
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Groovaybaby*
    When i was on seroxat I had a real bad time. made me feel alot worse personally. and when i came of it the side effects were really really bad.

Awww *huggles* its ok now though?

Oooo works getting to me already...stupid back ache...
  • Options
    i had no side effects when i wa son prozac.

i jsut stopped because with my drug habits it was very dangerous, and i didnt like the fact that i was on prozac at such a young age.