Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Side effects...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i went to the docters today and he put me on a course of Fluoxetine hydrochloride (prozac) i'm on the 20mg doses with one to be taken daily...

i was wondering is there any side effect i might expect and has anyone been on this before and had nasty results..

many thanks if you can help...

Comments

• Options
    prozac is evil, IMO.

it made me suicidally depressed, aggressive (very out of character), dizzy, sick, shaky, sweaty, sleepy, have horribly vivid nightmares, scratch constantly at myself, grind my teeth, chew the insides of my cheeks....

i'm sure it works for some people, but it just made me mental.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    prozac is evil, IMO.

it made me suicidally depressed, aggressive (very out of character), dizzy, sick, shaky, sweaty, sleepy, have horribly vivid nightmares, scratch constantly at myself, grind my teeth, chew the insides of my cheeks....

:eek: this stuff is ment to help me:eek2:

:crying:am i gonna turn out like that???:nervous:
  • Options
    http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/fluoxetine_ad.htm

rxlist is an impartial site. i found loads of links to sites like 'prozac truth' where people who have been damaged or relatives of people who've topped themselves on the drug have posted stories, but that's a bit biased reading.

but, from rx list:

Body as a Whole: Frequent: Chills; Infrequent: Chills and fever, face edema, intentional overdose, malaise, pelvic pain, suicide attempt; Rare: Abdominal syndrome acute, hypothermia, intentional injury, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, photosensitivity reaction.
  • Options
    prozac is evil, IMO.

On the other hand, Prozac helped me... I think it all depends on the person and what help they're receiving on the side. Taking any anti-depressent feels funny at first... I think the worst I took was Zispin as it made me aggressive and put on weight.

But I never really had problems with Prozac once I got used to it.
  • Options
    never had prozac so i cant comment but i was on venlafaxine and i was ok on that. the only thing that started to bother me that i was starting to feel like i was losing any emotion i had, like if someone told me someone had died i wouldnt cry and that isnt me at all.
    talk tp your doc about it again if you are worried!
  • Options
    http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/fluoxetine_ad.htm

rxlist is an impartial site. i found loads of links to sites like 'prozac truth' where people who have been damaged or relatives of people who've topped themselves on the drug have posted stories, but that's a bit biased reading.

but, from rx list:

Body as a Whole: Frequent: Chills; Infrequent: Chills and fever, face edema, intentional overdose, malaise, pelvic pain, suicide attempt; Rare: Abdominal syndrome acute, hypothermia, intentional injury, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, photosensitivity reaction.

Thank you that was ALOT of help kaffrin...:)

i hope it works out for me...
  • Options
    my brother was on prozac for about a year coz he had really bad panic attacks he thinks they worked for him even if i do think they just fooked him up more :p
  • Options
    Great.... im mostly hearing bad things now....

is there any GOOD things about it...
  • Options
  • Options
    I have never been on Prozac, but I am on Serzone right now and have just also been put on Effexor XR today, too, along with my Serzone and I think that Serzone is about the only AD that has helped me at all with my depression and is also the AD that I have been on the longest. A little over 3 years now.

My sister is on Prozac, but she never said that anything bad has happened since she has been on it. All I know, is by what she told me, that it is helping her, so I guess it does help with some people.

All I can say is just give it a try for a while and see if it helps you and if it doesn't then talk to your doc about switching it to something else.
  • Options
    Well im on a months wroth of trail period and im going back on the 6th of next month to see my docter again.. if i have any troubles i have go to go back asap...

he was ok about putting me on them once i decribed my condition although he wanted to speak to my mother..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Well im on a months wroth of trail period and im going back on the 6th of next month to see my docter again.. if i have any troubles i have go to go back asap...

he was ok about putting me on them once i decribed my condition although he wanted to speak to my mother..

I thought you said HE advised YOU to go on them not YOU asked?!:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I thought you said HE advised YOU to go on them not YOU asked?!:confused::confused::confused:

tweets, *whispers* pinch of salt ;)
  • Options
    tweets, *whispers* pinch of salt ;)

*Says nothing ;)*
  • Options
    meh you lost me...

my councillor advised me to go onto fanti depressents..

my doc said he will put me on a trial period for one month to see if it works and if im no better he will up the dosage and get in contact with some pyshricatic thing???that bit confuced me he was talking to my mam at that point..
  • Options
    Hey - my sisters boyfriend is on lithium...it works for him...for some people it doesn't.

Go out and buy a copy of 'Unquiet mind' by Kay Redfield Jamison to see how bad depression can be.

I would take the Prozac, see how it goes and then re-visit your doctor.

Theres nothing shameful about needing intervention of drugs to re-align your mind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Hey - my sisters boyfriend is on lithium...it works for him...for some people it doesn't.

Go out and buy a copy of 'Unquiet mind' by Kay Redfield Jamison to see how bad depression can be.

I would take the Prozac, see how it goes and then re-visit your doctor.

Theres nothing shameful about needing intervention of drugs to re-align your mind.

Oooo ill see into the book.. i like to read and thanks..

thanks for the helpp guys i hope it works..
  • Options
    Am I the only person who is worried/in disbelief that a doctor would put a 15 year old boy on this drug?

In my experience doctors are unlikely to put you on ADs the very first time you visit the doctor, especially if you are only 15 years old, they would, in my experience, recommend a referral to the hospital and their teenage psychiatry department.

Also, if the tablets didn't work after one month then the doctor wouldn't "up the dosage" they would switch to another brand.

Hmmmm :|
  • Options
    When I was on anti depressants I was told it can take up to 6 weeks to get totally into my system for me to even start feeling any better. Im suprised that he said try them just for a month ?
  • Options
    Ooo intersting fact becky.... thanks... well i dunno what he has planned... but he wants to keep upto date with what happens and will only give me a months suply...

aurora i was suprised aswell even though i wanted to go on the due to advice by my councillor it didnt take long for them to be prescribed. my mam has been on AD's for years and was speaking to my doc/her doc about it so my mam is pretty clued up aswell and she talked bout my selfharming.. but i was only in there for about 15min max so i think it is to easy to get anti depressents on the NHS.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Ooo intersting fact becky.... thanks... well i dunno what he has planned... but he wants to keep upto date with what happens and will only give me a months suply...

They will only give you a month supply anyway, so ytou dont overdose, they only give you more when they know they can trust you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    They will only give you a month supply anyway, so ytou dont overdose, they only give you more when they know they can trust you.

Yeah thats like with my mam. because she has been known to overdose she only gets 1weeks worth at a time and yet because she is on a high amount of drugs (either sleeping pills or anti depressents) but they could still kill her...

i know they wont trust me and frankly i'm happy i know if i have a very low patch i'd be tempted to take them all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    Am I the only person who is in disbelief that a doctor would put a 15 year old boy on this drug?

no.

as someone who was a similar age when i had problems, (and i was forced to the doctors, i didn't choose to go, so it's a little different) my experiences weren't the same at all.

firstly, in my experience, prozac is not usually the first drug they try, due to the bad press mostly, but in teenagers it's due to the high suicide rate.

secondly, i was referred to a therapist as an emergency case rather than put me on the drugs, because they feared that they would not be suitable given my young age. (16)

it was only after 2 therapists and an appointment with a psychiatrist that they decided to put me on ADs.

this seems to be pretty standard among the people i have met in therapy. maybe it's just my area...

so yeah, pinch of salt.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    *cough*

actually, i was first put onto ADs when i was 12. and i know people that have been put onto prozac first over other ADs.

*cough*

you got a bad cough there.

i can only speak from my own experience. and what i am told by my therapists/doctors/psychiatrists.

but i have to say i am more inclined to believe my therapists/doctors/psychiatrists that people on a message board.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    i have :( and a sniffly nose.

but i just thought i'd chuck it in here because many areas are much better at mental care and frontline strategies than others, and so people can have completely different experiences of mental health care.

poor you *pats* sniffles suck.

you're right, of course.

and i think, as someone who has a 'history', you can maybe appreciate why i get fired up about certain things. maybe not.
  • Options
  • Options
    if you wanted to know about the side effects you should have looked at the leaflet that they tell you to read - the one in the box... the one you should read anyway... the one that tells you about all the side-effects...

or was this thread just to let people know you were on anti depressants?

i too am suprised that they have put you onto prozac. i would have thought they would have put you on something like paroxetine.

I went on anti-D's at 15 also, and becky is right, it takes at least 6 weeks to even get into your system, so i think the reason he is telling you to go back after a month is to collect your next packet, not to see how you are feeling, because to be honest, id be really quite suprised if you felt better after a month.
  • Options