Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TV Licence

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx

I know a woman who supports herself and her two children on £21 a week and receives no other benefits.

Jesus - she should get herself down CAB and find out about the other benefits she can get aside from Child benefit!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    As i said we earn just over the threshold, but that means we dont get council tax rebate, family credit etc etc. People on the dole are better off than us and i do not think that this is fair when he is working some ridiculous hours.
    I understand what you are saying. Someone very close to me has actually been getting more money than I have although I only work part time and at times it riles me. BUT I know this person despairs because they don't have a job and I know they really want one.

Also, you aren't worse off than the majority of people on the dole.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Jesus - she should get herself down CAB and find out about the other benefits she can get aside from Child benefit!!
    She doesn't get child benefit both her children are over 16 and not in full time education.

She was made redundant and her husband, from who she is seperated is on the sick from work and gets £69. The department for work and pensions therefore awarded his wife £21 a week to make it up to the minimum of £80 a week for couples, depsite the fact they are seperated. :eek2:
  • Options
    students can get a rebate for the last quarter of the year as they are on summer hols.

also if you have the tv in a space that everyone in the flat shares you only need one license, you don't need seperate tvs in your bedrooms really.........
  • Options
    Also it is not simple to just 'become self-employed' many people do not have the talnets pr the capital to attemot such an enterprise...........
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx

Also, you aren't worse off than the majority of people on the dole.

you dont know my income, you dont know my mortage, you dont know my council tax in fact you dont know anything about what my income/expenditure is a week, so dont tell me im no worse off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Also it is not simple to just 'become self-employed' many people do not have the talnets pr the capital to attemot such an enterprise...........

Its so much easier to sign on though isnt it. For some people they would not want to sign on so they take the chance on being self employed. They work long hours to build a business up, start with nothing and maybe 5/6 years down the track they will be better off but thats a risk some people take.