Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

TV Licence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everyone knows that Oftel have announced, that BT were monopolising the directory enquiries phone line, which I agree with. However, are'nt the BBC doing this with the TV Licence? I enjoy the fact that BBC doesnt have adverts but I think its unfair to the rest of the channels. I would prefer to have adverts and no licence fee though.

Your views please :)

(if this has been doen and your not interested in bringing it up again, then sorry. I might delete.)

Comments

• Options
    Why is it unfair?[/monocrat]
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    [/monocrat]
    :lol::lol:

It's been discussed a couple of times before but I'm happy to talk about it again. I wish for the TV Licence to stay. The BBC (and that's not only the TV channels we all know but a few more satellite channels, a multitude of radio stations and arguably the most comprehensive website in the world) is simply the finest broadcasting corporation on earth. There is no way we could get rid of the licence without having a devastating effect in the quality of the output.

Plus it is really a relief to watch ad-free stations.
  • Options
    I don't mind paying for a quality service, considering how much people are willing to pay for all manner of other things then around a £100 a year for using a TV as well as paying for all the radio as well seems quite a good deal.........
  • Options
    I suppose putting it that way, could sway my opinion. Do you think its fair to the other channels? Or if they promised to clean up, should a % go to them or would you pay a little extra to have less adverts and a better service etc?
  • Options
    I think the current system is OK really, I doubt whether ITV, 5 etc would introduce some kind of fee for their services, they are alright as they are really and is not as if they aren't doing well (see todays news on massive merger at ITV)
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with private channels financing themselves by advertising- at the end of the day if all channels were to be financed by TV licensing it'd cost us hundreds a month!

It's all very well for Rupert 'The Dirty Digger' Murdoch to moan about the licence. He's one happy to smash competition or buy them up, with the ultimate goal of controlling all or most of the media a la Berlusconi. But notice how even though we pay a lot for his not-so-brilliant Sky channels, he's still flogging us with endless commercial breaks on top of all the money he collects through monthly fees.

Back home the Spanish equivalent of the BBC, TVE, is solely financed by TV ads like all private channels. Believe me, the quality of the output is of the 'don't-know-where-to-look-out-of-embarrassment' type. Absolute rubbish, and if not fully it is at least partially to do with the way it pays for itself.
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind so much forking out £112 to a load of lazy layabouts if the quality of the TV was actually any good.

Two points: why should I pay some lazy poncey actor like Mr Rebekah Wade £1million a year just to act like a complete cunt.? Why should I pay for EastEnders, why should I pay for some silly tart from Cornwall to poison our ears with her monotonous wailing? Why should I pay for BBC to spend millions of pounds tarting up Broadcasting HOuse, only to pull it down six months later cos no bugger liked it? Why should I pay for a load of morons to change the logo from trapeziums to squares, and create a fucking balloon?

Second point: if you think the BBC doesnt have adverts then you ahvent really been WATCHING. The programmes are as long on BBC as they are on ITV, its just that instead of sitting through ten minutes of adverts telling you how wonderful Daz is, its ten minutes of the BBC spending millions on telling you why them spending millions on telling you why theyre spending millions on grade-a fuck all is A Good Thing.

The BBC should have one TV channel, and the local radio stations. All the rest of it should become commercial, and about bloody time as well.
  • Options
    I wish they would stop wasting millions on stupid things they changing the logo & the silly segments of people dancing just before the programes starts.
    I liked the hot air Balloon, why change it? & that cost enough!
    Also they have only produced a few decent shows
    in the last few years i.e., The Office, Alan Partridge, Kuma's at number 42, canterbury tales.
    Crap like 'My Family' & 'My Hero' or repeats of Dad's bloody army don't deserve my hard earned dosh!
  • Options
    A small point, and another way of looking at this........

Take ITV for example, i can buy a TV and watch ITV for free, or so i think.....

In fact ITV is only available because the companies that advertise pay them lots of money.

This money comes from these companies revenues.

These revenues come from.............us

So we pay as much as we pay for the BBC, only indirectly........:p
  • Options
    The thing Kermit is that 'Auntie' has to cater for the preferences of all sort of viewers... some people will think that Eastenders is a waste of money, while others will name it as their favourite BBC programme and one from which they will demand the highest standards soap operas can offer.

I'm sure some people think nature programmes or some BBC2 comedy is a waste, as many others treasure it. I could do without the religious programmes although I understand that as a public broadcasting corporation the BBC has an obligation to provide a religious output as well.

All in all, not everyone will be happy for the end result. But the BBC does provide a very good service across the board. And it's no small task.

There is always room for improvement of course, and the Licence shouldn't be taken as a carte blanche to throw money out of the window. But if it were to be removed the BBC would become just another commercial channel, and would surely sink to the lowest common denominator.
  • Options
    If there was a way of having control over what we watch? A voting system or something as such, would you all be happier? Would you participate?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Why is it unfair?[/monocrat]

hehehe :p

what I disagree with is in sheletered accomodation for the elderly, who are warden controlled then they get it free or pay very little, yet other pensioners have to pay.
    So why does that happen ? its not fair some pensioners dont pay and the majority do because they live alone . Tis very stupid and unfair in my opnion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    hehehe :p

what I disagree with is in sheletered accomodation for the elderly, who are warden controlled then they get it free or pay very little, yet other pensioners have to pay.
    So why does that happen ? its not fair some pensioners dont pay and the majority do because they live alone . Tis very stupid and unfair in my opnion.
    Its not fair they have to pay at all really in my opinion.
  • Options
    No, it's not fair at all. And it's even worse that they have sent the odd one to prison for non-payment of the licence or the subsequent £1,000 fine.

Pensioners should not have to pay at all, or pay a small nominal fee at best.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No, it's not fair at all. And it's even worse that they have sent the odd one to prison for non-payment of the licence or the subsequent £1,000 fine.

Pensioners should not have to pay at all, or pay a small nominal fee at best.
    Its shocking that this happens!

My grandparents have worked damned hard all their lives, they are working class and have paid their taxes. My grandad was even in the war (I bet just like many of you here)to save those robbing *******'s lives.
    The elderly have lived their lives and most have worked hard and it is now their chance to relax and not have to worry about money.
    I think we owe them far more repsect than they are shown. Were gonna be old one day too :nervous:

Ok rant over guys.
  • Options
    I think you get it free if you are over 70........

Also some pensioners are very rich, do they really need help with a £100 a year?

Maybe poor pensioners should be helped but then why not poor people in general?
  • Options
    i think visually impaired people get a reduced fee as well!

I think the fee should stay, although as I don't have a TV and don't plan on getting one I'm not too fussed.

but as far as BBC radio goes I would pay a fee to listen if it meant no adverts and the high quality that it mostly is maintained
  • Options
    People over 70 GET A FREE LICENCE so not sure what people are going on about. Visually impaired people get a reduced fee (after all, they can still hear it).

I don't agree with the licence fee, the BBC makes lots of money through its magazines, videos, books and pays its presenters and stars too much money. People across the world don't have to pay for BBC world service so why are British people expected to finance that?

I have never had a TV licence and don't plan on getting one. I find it unfair that you HAVE to have one even if you don't watch BBC programmes.

In fact I got out of paying mine a few years back, at uni, when I said I just used my TV/Video combi to watch videos. That's allowed.
  • Options
    Right. The van is on its way.

:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I think you get it free if you are over 70........

Also some pensioners are very rich, do they really need help with a £100 a year?

Maybe poor pensioners should be helped but then why not poor people in general?
    Yes, poor pensioners only, but then they are objecting to being means tested for other benefits, so what would be different about this?

Personally, I don't know any poor old people, so I can't really say, but I imagine that life is hard enough without having to fork out for a TV license.

Personally though, I am happy with the services the BBC provide. Especially Radio 2 and Six Music!
  • Options
    I notice no-one has adred to criticise the BBC adverts though:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Princess Rosa
    People over 70 GET A FREE LICENCE

Who are pensioners, so what about the pensioners who have to pay ?
    A pensioner is a pensioner in my opinion so they should not wait until they are 70.

Toadborg i hope you are not one of these pensioners who because they are getting maybe 20p extra in their pension lose out on all benefits which some others are entitled to.
    Also toadborg should people on job seekers get a free licence, or them on working tax credits etc ? My hubby works loads of hours a week and we get help with nothing, he flogs his guts out all week while others sit at home all day watching T.V, so why sould they get help with it and not us ?
  • Options

Also toadborg should people on job seekers get a free licence, or them on working tax credits etc ? My hubby works loads of hours a week and we get help with nothing, he flogs his guts out all week while others sit at home all day watching T.V, so why sould they get help with it and not us ?

You will find that your husband who works all day will be "earning" far more than those you deem to be sitting at home all day watching TV. Yes, there are those on benefits who do sit at home all day and watch TV, but the majority do not. The majority would rather have £150 a week than £21! You are making a very rash judgement about people on benefits. Furthermore, people on benefits do not get a free TV license to the argument you are using is flawed from the start.
    Working tax credits are for those who work anyway, so how would they be sitting around watching TV all day?

I also notice that it is your husband who works. What do you do all day? You also receive benefits such as child benefit and tax credits.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    You will find that your husband who works all day will be "earning" far more than those you deem to be sitting at home all day watching TV. Yes, there are those on benefits who do sit at home all day and watch TV, but the majority do not. The majority would rather have £150 a week than £21! You are making a very rash judgement about people on benefits. Furthermore, people on benefits do not get a free TV license to the argument you are using is flawed from the start.
    Working tax credits are for those who work anyway, so how would they be sitting around watching TV all day?

I also notice that it is your husband who works. What do you do all day? You also receive benefits such as child benefit and tax credits.

Scuse me my husband is self employed. He works long hours rather than be on the dole. He was made redundant a couple of years ago and every job he went for he was too old, so rather than sit on his arse and sign on once a fortnight he got up off his arse and went self employed. So dont you come here telling me he is earning a good wage, we dont qualify for benefits because he is just a fraction over the allowance.
    I get family allowance, as does every other person who has a child. I dont get tax credits, so dont just assume.
    People on benefits are better off than we are, I know from a close friend what she gets a week in comparrison to us.
    My hubby is not a bone idle, lazy barsteward who does have some pride. He would prefer to be worse off than go down that office and sign on, he does have some feelings you know !!!!

edited to add :
    I never said people on benefit should get a free license, i asked toadborg if they though people on benefits should.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Who are pensioners, so what about the pensioners who have to pay ?
    A pensioner is a pensioner in my opinion so they should not wait until they are 70.

Toadborg i hope you are not one of these pensioners who because they are getting maybe 20p extra in their pension lose out on all benefits which some others are entitled to.

I agree, my statement was adressed as a rhetorical question (though that wasn't really clear....)

i am not sure how the pension benefit system works, i would iagine it would be a gradual progression to avoid situations such as the one you describe but i don't know for sure.......
  • Options

Thats the problem with this country- being a housewife and a mother isnt seen as a demanding and tiring job, its seen as dossing about watching This Morning and Bargain Hunt. Because that ironing, hoovering and cooking just damn well does itself :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    If there was a way of having control over what we watch? A voting system or something as such, would you all be happier? Would you participate?

I think during the Iraq war it was refreshing to see a more balanced view of the war as covered by the BBC compared the biased view of American ststaions like CNN and Fox News.

This is one of the key argments against having the BBC paid for as it is.. so it doesn't pander to the wishes of it's sponsors.

However I've always thought that the BBC should send a survery with every license so people can vote on what programmes they want to see more of.

I also think that the way students have to pay for a licence when they live at halls of residence is stupid beyound belief, most students I knew spent monday to friday in halls and many went home onthe weekends, and home for a month at Xmas, Easter and 4 months in the summer - thus in effect spending more time at home then at uni - but yet they had to pay for an entire year's license .. it's penny pinching to have this dumb law .. And if you're in a flat with five bedroom and 5 Tv you need 5 licenses.

Oh and I think the BBC's effort on Digital TV is rubbish most of the new channels like BBC3 and BBC 4 are junk and only broadcast about 12 hours a day!! I also disagree with the BBC DOGs (Digital onscreen Graphics) on the digital channel they take the piss, one BBC channel has their entire website address on the screen throughout all programmes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Thats the problem with this country- being a housewife and a mother isnt seen as a demanding and tiring job, its seen as dossing about watching This Morning and Bargain Hunt. Because that ironing, hoovering and cooking just damn well does itself :rolleyes:
    Hey, my dad works full time and does the chores :p
  • Options
    Scuse me my husband is self employed. He works long hours rather than be on the dole. He was made redundant a couple of years ago and every job he went for he was too old, so rather than sit on his arse and sign on once a fortnight he got up off his arse and went self employed. So dont you come here telling me he is earning a good wage, we dont qualify for benefits because he is just a fraction over the allowance.
    I get family allowance, as does every other person who has a child. I dont get tax credits, so dont just assume.
    People on benefits are better off than we are, I know from a close friend what she gets a week in comparrison to us.
    My hubby is not a bone idle, lazy barsteward who does have some pride. He would prefer to be worse off than go down that office and sign on, he does have some feelings you know !!!!
    I never said your husband was lazy or bone idle.

I know a woman who supports herself and her two children on £21 a week and receives no other benefits. That is all I was saying. She would love a job but can't find one. To be self employed you need to be good at a trade, something you can employ yourself in, so it isn't that easy for some people I am afraid. You are also entitled to family tax credits, as the cheesy advert says "it's money with your name on it" so look into claiming it. :)

I also find it VERY VERY offensive that you seem to think there is some shame in going to the job office and signing on. What about those who have been made redundant? The last thing they want it to trapse down to the dole office to sign on, especially when people are making such rash judgements about them.
  • Options
    I also find it VERY VERY offensive that you seem to think there is some shame in going to the job office and signing on. What about those who have been made redundant? The last thing they want it to trapse down to the dole office to sign on, especially when people are making such rash judgements about them.

As I said hubby was made redundant and he made a choice to go self employed rather than be on the dole. He had tried to get jobs only to be told he was too old, so what does he do.........go self employed rather than live a life on the dole. I would hate to have to sign on, I would feel awful. He feels its degrading going fortnightly to sign on, he cannot change the way he feels and neither can i.

As i said we earn just over the threshold, but that means we dont get council tax rebate, family credit etc etc. People on the dole are better off than us and i do not think that this is fair when he is working some ridiculous hours.