Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Canadian Cowards.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I think the news influences people in the US and it's not always like it's intentional on the part of the news. They have a bunch of news items to cover and only so much time. So it's like here's what's going on in Europe, Blair shaking hands with Bush, here's the Middle East, "death to America" or plots against America...always, here's Europe again, France, Germany, and Russia meet to consolidate a front against the US, back to the US, Wall Street News, White House news, some sensational murder...they always find one..., Iraqi exiles celebrating, news ends with some happy or compassionate story.

Or you've got the Fox Network: "Death to America" Are these people getting in the country? What plots have been uncovered? Troops in Iraq. Happy Kurds/Muslims greeting us, onto Palestine...Death to America. Cut to story about Al Qaeda and it's connections throughout the Arab World...nothing about how many Muslims and Muslim countries have helped us wrong channel for that....something negative on France or news about how the Fox led boycotte of French goods is going.

It's not lack of travel...it's the media in America that forms the opinions. Remember, the East, where all of the terror attacks happened was against the war in Iraq. The MidWest overwhelmingly favored it. The West favored it.

Interesting, But you could also argue that the East contains a larger number of people who travel - Prosperous, international NY/Washington etc, the midwest is more farming country and also less close to the coasts and international links. Do you include California in the west because to me it seems largely rather more enlightened than the states around it.
  • Options
    But you could also argue

I agree with that. In my area, most people feel there's lot's of reasons for the radical Muslim movement. Part is the Saudi's pushing Whabbism to preven anger towards them while enjoying and investing in the West and America in particular. The US shoring up corrupt governments in the Middle East. And perceived unfairness regarding Palestine and Israel.

A US soldier said this, this week. We just captured guys (in Northern Iraq) who came to Iraq to fight and the Iraqis don't even want them here. He said for some of them, it was a job. These people need to have jobs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    True. And much of the 10% who have passports and travel overseas are likely to be rather more intelligent and open-minded than the trailer park brigade, therefore seeing through tenuous arguments, boycotts and similar bigotry.

Funny thing. That 10%? More likely to be Republican than Democrat. More likely to be successful than not.
  • Options
    Travel broadens the mind Greenhat. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Funny thing. That 10%? More likely to be Republican than Democrat. More likely to be successful than not.

Why will well travelled people be more likely to be Republican again?
  • Options
    Because they can afford it, or are more likely to travel on business, I assume. The statistics come from the US State Department.