Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

patriotism?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg

Excellent post Al, I also agree with Pussykattys sentiments ( as usual :) )

I find your view to be somewhat ill considered Bumblebee (understatement :rolleyes: )

many of the west indian migrants in the early post war years who came to britain were primarily coming here for jobs. Are you going to tell an old grandad living on the state pension on some run dwon estate that you have 'utter contempt' for him?

Do you have 'utter contempt' for Aussie barworkers, foreign university students or your friends that decide to go and work in Spain for a year?

The problem seems to lie in the inability to recognise the reasons why a person would leave a country.

Genuine asylum seekers are generally judged to be those fleeing political persecution, torture, warzones etc,

The fact is though that economic migrants although they may be coming from relatively stable countries are leaving conditions that are genuinely appalling.

Such comments as LacyMays that they should 'put up with it' show the ignorance of many in the developed world that the conditions we live in are a heavenly paradise compared to the conditions for most of those who live in the developed world........

OK that is fair enough Kiezo, glad to see you will make the distinction.

Care to offer your comments on my post above concernign economic migrants/illegal immigrants?

I will be interested to hear what you have to say.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg

Care to offer your comments on my post above concernign economic migrants/illegal immigrants?

I will be interested to hear what you have to say.....

The way things are at the moment, I am in support in economic migrants. If they come here to work, they are in turn strengthening our economy and our country.

As for the "But they're stealing our jobs" 'arguement', if the lazy bastards who were saying that got up off their arses, I'm sure they'd have no problem in finding one.
  • Options
    i dont feel particularly patriotic towards England or Britain, although im grateful to live somewhere safe. I am proud to be a part of a world community, and I like to do things that I feel benefit the world in my own small way by being selective in the things I buy and trying not to support companies that I do not agree with their policies, I try to buy organic where I can to try and lessen the pollution in the world, and try and recycle bits and pieces, use reusable nappies on my son and buy fairtrade products. Although these things may not make a huge difference, they make me feel I am respecting the planet, and I think thats more important than feeling patriotic over a bit of land and thinking thats better than other bits of land. I think its too easy to forget how small the world actually is in the grand scheme of things. If someone somewhere needs to move here because where they are isnt safe and they are at risk, I would not deny it to them as theyve as much right to be anywhere on the planet as I have.

Blimey I sound like a right hippy
  • Options
    i could never swear alegiance to one person, as in king or queen.
    i could never swear alegiance to a political group or party.
    but i would loyaly fight for my country and it's people under the right circumstances. i would have to believe totaly, before i could kill or support killers. any doubt at all and i hope i would have the courage to be jailed, shot or hung, rather than support or fight for anything or anyone with doubt.
    by voting for blair i supported him and his party. in a sense i was swearing alegiance to the man and him to me. BIG MISTAKE that turned out to be. i doubt i will ever vote again. why would i want to vote for liars, murderers and killers who turn their backs on the people they have sworn to serve? i could never ever vote tory or any other right wing rabble. what am i left with? charles fucking kennedy! no thankyou.
    robin cook ...tony ben ...maybe.
  • Options
    If Ci ould vote int he UK id definitely throw my lot in with Robin Cook, provided the PLP does the smart thing and install him as Party leader in place of Tony.

Otherwise perhaps Ken Livingstone.