Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

patriotism?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just interested to know what you lot think about national pride? Good thing? Bad thing? Anyone here fiercely patriotic or extremley anti patriotic? Is it a cause for war and violence or for unity and community ties?

...and does anyone like the French?!?! ;):p

Comments

• Options
    ive never liked the french :lol: LMFAO!
  • Options
    I'd class myself as being Patriotic.
    You dont really know how patriotic you are until yu leave your country a few times.But I dont think its a cause for confrontation and war- and more common tie for joint Unity. After all we more alike my friends than we are unalike.
    And I dont mind most nations and get along grand with them!
    Even the French
    :p
  • Options
    I think my community spirit has gone to shit, our local council has gone mad, I say how I feel, and I don’t care if it reflects badly on me

Illegal Immigrants are getting asylum too easy where we are, and getting the nice new houses and getting a lot of money. It’s fucking off a lot of people In Croydon!

The system where we are must be over run with asylum seekers and I think Croydon council just caves in and gives it to them. Then when you go shopping you see them still begging, using there little kids to try and make you feel sorry for them.

I think it’s shitty how the Big Cities and towns get lumbered with them all and the countryside doesn’t! Would it hurt to spread them out a little?

Or failing that, make them go back to the first safe country they came across if they are genuine asylum seekers in danger of their lives

Bloody soft touch Britain

And no, I'm not A fan of the French:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless

I think it’s shitty how the Big Cities and towns get lumbered with them all and the countryside doesn’t! Would it hurt to spread them out a little?

Dont worry, Bristol has a lot of them too.

Blatantly good though that they dont get in the countryside :D

Where i live (my villages) it is all white British people. Obviously not once you get into Bristol.

An no i aint patriotic. I hate England, its crap.
  • Options

I think it's shitty how only Britain seems to be lumbered with them.
  • Options
    Hi ;)

I figure I don't have to state my position and I don't want to ruin your thread.

The thing that tore it for many Americans regarding the French was when we heard last week that French companies had sold pestisides -which could be used in chemical warfare - and spare parts to the mirage jets and more weapons that they sold to Saddam in: January 2003, February 2003 and March 2003.
  • Options
    I'd like to say I was surprised at the amount of racist attitudes on the site, but I am not. It seems that asylum seekers are now the acceptable minority group in society for people to hate. Just the same as it was for black people in the 60's. It's just racism in another form.

I am proud to be British, my grandparents were "asylum seekers" fleeing Hitler, do you all hate me too? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I'd like to say I was surprised at the amount of racist attitudes on the site, but I am not. It seems that asylum seekers are now the acceptable minority group in society for people to hate. Just the same as it was for black people in the 60's. It's just racism in another form.

I am proud to be British, my grandparents were "asylum seekers" fleeing Hitler, do you all hate me too? :rolleyes:

Its a bit general to say that we all hate asylum seekers. We all know there are the genuine "we have to flee our country or we'll be killed" asylum seekers (which i think should be allowed in our country, everyone has the right to feel safe) then the "ooh this looks like the best place to work" asylum seekers. I dont see why they should be allowed in. Theres not even enough employment for the British citizens!

I dont understand why they should be allowed in thats all.
  • Options
    Imagine being from a very poor country with no prospects and very few jobs. Can you really blame these people for wanting to make something of their lives by moving to a country with opportunities, money and jobs, which is a democratic country treating its residents with respect and fairness?

Personally, I can't.

The problem is in the media, fuelling hate by saying how they "get everything free", well what's the difference in a British person on benefits?

I think there are enough jobs in this country, not great jobs, but crappy jobs like cleaning loos and factory jobs.

This has kind of gone off the topic of patritoism. I think to be patriotic is a good thing so long as it is not about feeling that you are superior to everyone else, or using to to justify BNP crap.
  • Options

I think there are enough jobs in this country, not great jobs, but crappy jobs like cleaning loos and factory jobs.

There are lots of asylum seekers that do them kinds of job in London, and I respect them for doing it!

Because without them, London would go to shit, and wouldn't be able to function!

But it's the ones that find know the law better then the fucking human rights lawyers that I dislike!!

We are getting taken for right mugs with a lot of them!

You see when you are old and want the government pension, you see how little it will be and ask yourself why!

Cos it’s all gone to them so they can live here and not work, that what gets up peoples noises!
  • Options

I don't hate asylum seekers, I just don't see why they choose Britain to flee to.

Whenever anyone says anything against asylum seekers in Britain, you always get someone jumping in with "But they're trying to escape persecution in their own country!". Fair enough, but why not go somewhere else? Why not go to one of the countries that follows closer to their beliefs? It's not like there's a shortage of them.
    Imagine being from a very poor country with no prospects and very few jobs. Can you really blame these people for wanting to make something of their lives by moving to a country with opportunities, money and jobs, which is a democratic country treating its residents with respect and fairness?

Yeah OK then, maybe beggars can be choosers. So how about Austria, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland...or shock horror, maybe even France?

Seriously, could you have made a more obnoxious statement if you tried?
  • Options
    I think patriotism is a bad thing, liking your country is ok but it often turns to liking your country over other countries.

I agree with PussyKatty on the downritght stupidity of some peoples attitudes, we can have a fulll debate if you want, i will win and you will lose..........

A minor point to Harmless.....

Our pensions will be smaller if we let less immigrants in, they create wealth and have more children who will provide for you in later life because of the growing demographic crisis in the developed world, trust me this is the truth.......

kiezo, your post is so wrong it hurts..........
  • Options
    Thing is yeah when things get bad for me, i dont think hmmm i might go to say Germany cos they got life so much easier do i.

They should just deal with it. For fucks sake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg

kiezo, your post is so wrong it hurts..........

Care to elaborate?
  • Options
    I'm not amazingly proud to be British/English.

We're a bit too far behind the other European countries in many ways.
  • Options
    No Im not patriotic at all, I feel no alleagence to this country, its people or its Goverment, although I count myself extremely lucky to have been born into a country where we have an NHS, free schooling, a benefit system, and a vote. Things we all take for granted and yes things that, if I were living in a poverty srticken country watching my children work to help feed my family, would drive me to travel thousands of miles to benefit from. And what is wrong with that? It called wanting a better life, some dont have the opportunities to improve their standards of living as we do.

And the French? Democracy is a wonderful thing unless you disagree with the big boys isnt it, the French Goverment dont always agree with the rest of the world, but then neither do the Americans or the British, I think the French stand up for their views (you only need to remember the strikes the French Goverment has to endure from its people) and should not be slated for this, its a good quality in a person or nation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

I think it's shitty how only Britain seems to be lumbered with them.

And thats balls...Britain takes very few compared to other countries.
    Never mind..if we get nuked you'll see what its like to be left with nothing but fear and charity!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

And thats balls...Britain takes very few compared to other countries.

Sorry, sorry - illegal immigrants then.
    Never mind..if we get nuked you'll see what its like to be left with nothing but fear and charity!!

What the fuck!?

Who's going to nuke us? Even if someone did, I'd be a little busy being dead than worrying about fear and charity :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Mmmm, I reckon I'm patriotic enough, but not in a British context. In Scotland we seem to be isolated from the whole British thing to some extent, and personally I don't care what goes on in London etc. I love my country, its people (some of them), the language, the culture, the traditions, everything. But not to the extent where I view other countries as being substandard or worse than mine. To pick up a point made by Toadborg, true peace and democracy will only be achived when A Scot can be proud to say he is not an Englishman or vice versa, with no political or social stigma, or any hint of vindiction attached to it, but I think that day is a long way off....
  • Options
    I'll take the Charles Kennedy approach....

"Let's all calm down and talk nicely with a nice cup of tea"

Oh, and I'm Scottish, not Brittish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo

Yeah OK then, maybe beggars can be choosers. So how about Austria, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland...or shock horror, maybe even France?

Seriously, could you have made a more obnoxious statement if you tried?

The following countries all took more refugees in 2001-2002 than the UK..
    Austria
    Norway
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Ireland
    Luxembourg
    Belgium
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

The following countries all took more refugees in 2001-2002 than the UK..
    Austria
    Norway
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Ireland
    Luxembourg
    Belgium

Again, I meant illegal immigrants...not asylum seekers.
  • Options
    Doesn’t it make you think tho……

If England were playing football against say er….. Poland

The Irish (for sure!), Scots (maybe) & welsh (Perhaps not welsh) would all want us to lose, Yet if it were any of the other 3 teams playing, the English would want them to win!

I got few Irish mates who are always complaining they hate England! I feel like saying fuck off back to Ireland then!

Ok, yes a tad over generalising there perhaps on my part :p
  • Options

I got few Irish mates who are always complaining they hate England! I feel like saying fuck off back to Ireland then!

Maybe if you'd give them the rest of their county back, they would :p
  • Options
    *somewhat confused at your making a distinction between the two*

The vast majority of asylum seekers have no choice other than to enter the country by illegal means, then claim asylum on arrival.

There is no process by which they can apply for asylum to the UK from within their own countries, the system means that they have to apply when they get here.

Often this means paying thousands of pounds to "human traffickers" who don't give a shit about the people they are transporting. Remember the Chinese people who suffocated in a lorry and were found dead on arrival in Dover? I also remember a case where 2 teenage boys from somewhere in Africa smuggled themselves into the baggage area of a plane and their bodies were found in the UK. They knew they would not survive but they wanted to highlight the suffering of their country.

Life as an asylum seeker is not easy. You live off approximately £30 a week and can not work for the first 6 months you are here. You encounter prejudice as can be seen on here! The only education you can get is a limited amount of English lessons. You may not even know where your family back home are, or if they are even alive. Then, if your application is refused by the home office as the MAJORITY are, you can be arrested, held in a detention centre and sent back within days. The home office is one of the most messed up, inhumane departments of the government.

It really makes me sick when I hear people moaning about asylum seekers, it's racism no matter how you disguise it. Blame the system, blame the government, but don't blame those desperate people who just want to make a life for themselves.

I get a bit emotional upon this subject for personal reasons.
  • Options

It really makes me sick when I hear people moaning about asylum seekers, it's racism no matter how you disguise it. Blame the system, blame the government, but don't blame those desperate people who just want to make a life for themselves.

I understand all that.

But i think its mainly people wondering why they are here in the first place? Our country aint perfect but we have to put up with it. Why shouldnt they? :confused:
  • Options
    *somewhat confused at your making a distinction between the two*

Y'know, the ones that like here illegally, as they haven't been granted asylum?
    The vast majority of asylum seekers have no choice other than to enter the country by illegal means, then claim asylum on arrival.

There is no process by which they can apply for asylum to the UK from within their own countries, the system means that they have to apply when they get here.

Uhh...yeah, I know.
    Life as an asylum seeker is not easy. You live off approximately £30 a week and can not work for the first 6 months you are here.

Makes you wonder how they can parade around Glasgow with leather jackets, designer clothes, trainers etc. then.

And before anyone tries to flame me for this, I'm well aware that not all of them (infact, probably the majority) do it.
    You encounter prejudice as can be seen on here!

To be slightly pedantic, I don't think they'll be encountering any prejudice shown on here on £30 a week.
    Then, if your application is refused by the home office as the MAJORITY are, you can be arrested, held in a detention centre and sent back within days.

Then come back, try not to get caught so as you wont have to apply for asylum, and end up living here illegally.
    It really makes me sick when I hear people moaning about asylum seekers, it's racism no matter how you disguise it.

It's not racism. I'm not racist. If they contribute something to society, which alot of them do, I'm all for it.

If however, they haven't been granted asylum, but continue to live and work here illegally, then I have a problem.
    Blame the system, blame the government, but don't blame those desperate people who just want to make a life for themselves.

Granted, they are desperate, and the government could to alot more to help them, and to put a stop to the problems involved, but if they didn't break our laws in the first place, the government wouldn't need to.
  • Options
    No our country isn't perfect. But we live in a country with free education, a good health service, welfare systems and democracy. Those are some of the reasons people want to come here in the first place, because the UK has a reputation worldwide as an accepting place for all religions.

These are the top ten countries of origin for UK asylum seekers:

1. Afghanistan 2. Iraq 3. Somalia
    4. Sri Lanka 5. Turkey 6. Iran
    7. FRY 8. Pakistan 9. China
    10. Zimbabwe

Some of the worlds poorest countries, war zones, places ruled extreme dictatorship, places where people are forced to fight in the army, where ethnic cleansing happens and things we can't even imagine here.

Should those people just "put up with it"? Think hard, if you happened to be born into a country like that, would you stay there just because you were born there, even if there are no prospects and you are persecuted?

And also LacyMay, you could apply any of your last post towards black people, asian people or anyone who isn't "thoroughly" British going back generations. Think about people you know, I'm sure there are a lot who are second generation British, or maybe one parent is not English (like me). Should they all get out too?
  • Options
    I think if people come to Britain (whether they are asylum seekers or not) they should accept the rules and cultures of the UK. That's only fair.

Which means making an effort to integrate, learn the langauge etc.

That's my only opinion on the matter really.
  • Options

I don't agree with this whatsoever. This country does not treat its own residents with respects and fairness, so how can it treat foregin nationals.

I have nothing but sympathy for genuine asylum seekers but I have utter contempt for economic migrants.

As for patriotism, I am patriotic. I am not racist at all, I have nothing but respect for people regardless of their colour. When I say I don't like economic migrants I don't dislike them because of the colour of their skin, that is other people making that assumption.

I don't think saying you dislike immigrants is racist, because you are not saying you dislike them because of their skin.
    Furthermore, I am in no way shape or form influenced by what the media tells me. I have my own opinions and they are not based on anything I may have read in a paper, because I don't read them.