Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

There are several Links between Iraq and Al Qaeda according to reports.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know some on this discussion are sympathetic to saddam. I hope there arent too many that are sympathetic to al qaeda here. But you never know.

I found this and was wondering what you all think? Is saddam helping terrorists/extremests?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/09/25/us.iraq.alqaeda/index.html

Comments

• Options
    First off, lets stop offending people here by linking opposition to an invasion as sympathy for Saddam. One can be opposed to both you know.

As for this report, I am dubious of much of what CNN reports given the fact that its CEO is an ardent supporter of Bush and the Republican party and has often reported slanted news to bolster the President's cause.

Gleaning evidence from captives as a valid source of info? yeah right. Beaten out of them by our boys in Guantanemo more likely (to which im sure they'd say whatever we wanted to hear to end the questioning) and as has been pointed out in at least one other thread, this claimed link has largely been dismissed as little more than rumour.
  • Options
    Thank you for your opinion, but I will have to tell you that I feel that if people are offended by what I say its their choice to do so. I cant take responsibility for what someone thinks is offensive.

Everyone has their own opinion about that as well.

I was using that article as an example, Ive seen others. I just wanted some opinions other that what I see in news and other places.

So you think what the detainees said was tortured out of them? I dont believe that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Gleaning evidence from captives as a valid source of info? yeah right. Beaten out of them by our boys in Guantanemo more likely (to which im sure they'd say whatever we wanted to hear to end the questioning) and as has been pointed out in at least one other thread, this claimed link has largely been dismissed as little more than rumour.

You really don't have the slightest clue, do you?
  • Options
    No of course not, theyre all laying about in the sun and fun of Cuba playing mini golf. :rolleyes:

What we believe is more or less irrelevant as far as that goes, Im only suggesting that given no credible evicence to this fact from any sources other than media reports which are sketchy at best, there is insufficient proof to make any certifiable link between Saddam and Al Queda. Doing so, however, is making political capital for the Bush administration in the attempt to swing waning international and apparently domestic support for invasion.

Its so transparently calculated it makes me want to shake people who can't seem to understand political thinking in this context. When opinion wanes, increase the stakes. That's what this incessant ratcheting up of issues and claims to "hot new evidence" amounts to, nothing more.
  • Options
    No of course not, theyre all laying about in the sun and fun of Cuba playing mini golf. :rolleyes:

I believe their quality of life has actually improved in U.S. custody. We all know what they would be doing if they werent there.:rolleyes:

Also they arent in Cuba.

So your opinion would be a no there is no link?
  • Options
    Im saying that no credible link has been proven. Claims by Iraqi exiles and captured prisoners isnt exactly above suspicion.

Greenhat, proabaly about as much of a clue as you possess.
  • Options
    Clandestine, I dont know you but I read Greenhats posts here and elsewhere. I think you should pay attention. He knows of what he speaks.;)
  • Options
    Also, I havnt seen anything that proves they are linked or disproves it.

I dont know what to think about it.
  • Options
    Im saying that no credible link has been proven. Claims by Iraqi exiles and captured prisoners isnt exactly above suspicion.

Greenhat, proabaly about as much of a clue as you possess.

That has already been proven to be untrue. Or would you like to discuss grounding the Israeli Air Force in more detail?
  • Options
    Greenhat is repleat with self aggrandising criticisms of anyone who doesnt accept his narrow scope of militaristic analysis.

I deal with his ilk on a daily basis in NATO circles and get an ear full of rhetoric that would even make his points pale by comparison.

Since he presumes to know the extent of my professional understanding of geo-politics when he himself as as teachable as a brick wall ill decline to adopt his view thank you very much.
  • Options

Since he presumes to know the extent of my professional understanding of geo-politics when he himself as as teachable as a brick wall ill decline to adopt his view thank you very much.

Thank you, Mr. Chamberlain
  • Options
    Ahhh another mindless reaction? How quaint!
  • Options
    Ahhh another mindless reaction? How quaint!

Just likening you to another self-proclaimed statesman with similar views of the world...would think you would like the comparison.
  • Options
    Not particularly thank you anyways. Chamberlain's rant against war with Hitler's Germany is far less valid than today's argument against rushing in to invade Iraq. The arguments for action then were much more compelling and factual as well, than the current list of unsubstantiated allegations used to justify further attrocities in Iraq at our hands.

WWII was not a unilateral attempt to invade a single country simply to impose a regime change in the name of democracy (which ive already pointed out is utter hypocrisy in itself).
  • Options
    As for this report, I am dubious of much of what CNN reports given the fact that its CEO is an ardent supporter of Bush and the Republican party and has often reported slanted news to bolster the President's cause.

CNN? Is a good buddy of the democrats.. Many Americans called it the Clinton News Network..

Dismissed as rumor? By who, never mind, let me guess it starts with a C and ends with an e and its not Christine.. LMAO!

You post all kinds of baloney and try to play it off as truth.. When people tell you to take your medications, although LSD is a drug, that is not the one they mean to double up on..

So what about the Czechs who caught Atta with Iraqi Intel??
    Are the Czechs Bush's buddys also??
  • Options
    Not particularly thank you anyways. Chamberlain's rant against war with Hitler's Germany is far less valid than today's argument against rushing in to invade Iraq. The arguments for action then were much more compelling and factual as well, than the current list of unsubstantiated allegations used to justify further attrocities in Iraq at our hands.

WWII was not a unilateral attempt to invade a single country simply to impose a regime change in the name of democracy (which ive already pointed out is utter hypocrisy in itself).

Fortunately, it isn't up to you to make that decision. Nor do you have any "right" to see anymore information than is released for public dissemination. As it happens, what has been released is clear in that it does illustrate that Saddam has clearly and willfully violated the terms of the Ceasefire, thereby restoring a state of war. No decision needed, it's a done deal and Saddam did it.

Oh, as for imposing democracy.....tell India.
  • Options
    Once again you presume to know what I have access to and what I dont. Thats fine by me, you presume away.

As for India, Im very interested to hear how you equate India witha forced democracy. Perhaps you missed the fact that they had a non-violent revolution which ousted the Imperial rule. Or perhaps you are speaking of Kashmir, now there is a model of stability and lasting democracy. ;)
  • Options
    Not very familiar with the history of India, are you? Ghandhi did not introduce democracy, he removed the British. Not the same thing. As for what you have access to, it's more than slightly obvious what you don't have access to.
  • Options
    What are you babbling on about now Greenhat, truly you you are incapable of doing more than spewing random unrelated nonsense.
  • Options
    Once again you presume to know what I have access to and what I dont. Thats fine by me, you presume away.

After one reads your posts, there's little if any presumption about it..
  • Options
    Originally posted by reverse

After one reads your posts, there's little if any presumption about it..

It would appear that "Clandestine" prefers the "diplomacy by braille" methodology, as he gropes about in the dark...
  • Options
    What grabs my gonads, is the expectation by some that Nations just bare their soul and tell all..

It takes years of work for Intelligence agencies to penetrate into these groups, plus all the support groups to get the information out.... However, so that Clandestine can know it all, he would sacrifice the assets..
  • Options
    LOL> methinks we have one person posting under several sns! The BS smells the same.

And yes of course, reverse, we shouldnt hold our elected governments accountable to the people, lord no. They should all be able to make war any time they wish on any grounds they choose to concoct without requiring any substantiation whatsoever, or let us say flimsy at best! ;)
  • Options
    Oh and btw reverse, having just noticed your post at the top, You really must wake up and follow developments in the world (difficult i know for most Americans who think the USA is the planet), The supposed link between Attah and Iraq was debunked by the czechs themselves quite some time ago.

The CEO of AOL Time Warner (the parent company of CNN) is in fact a die hard Republican my friend whether you choose to believe it or not. And Walter Isaacson, CEO of CNN has himself been reported as having close dealings with Rush Limbaugh.

CNN, for your information has also been called by many the Conservative News Network. One need only look at the emphasis given to any reports which bolster the right wing rantings such as any actions against Israel by Palestine, Analysis and Review discussion programmes that emphasise the Bush case for war, and a myriad of right wing perspectives all during prime time slots, with any opposing views (criticism of Israel, counter analysis of the Iraq situation, etc.), reports and discussions all pushed to the wee hours of the morning when people have long since likely gone to bed.

If that isnt pandering to Republicans then the moon really must be made of green cheese.
  • Options
    LOL> methinks we have one person posting under several sns! The BS smells the same.

Maybe it just reflects a majority who think you are full of shit. ;)
  • Options
    No, more likely it represents your need to feel more justified in your view by conscripting your soldier boy friends to come heckle anyone who finds your subscription to the might makes right theory of foreign policy to be the very source of our current security concerns.
  • Options
    Clandestine, we know Greenhat's credentials. He is a soldier, and has good links with military intelligence.

What are you? At the moment I'm far more likely to agree with Greenhat, on the sole basis that his information is firsthand and reliable.
  • Options
    We certainly have his claims to the fact that he is some military intelligence insider, but i see nothing more than typical military conditioning coming through in his posts. Don't question or refuse the will of our government once you put on that uniform or its court martial time.

I am not bothered as to whom you are inclined to listen to. Each answers to his own conscience on these matters and in my professional capacities, I see this current path (which Greenhat and Co seem to support so avidly) as leading to greater insecurity for us all in the future.

Since I'm not personally interested in establishing a cult of personality I don't feel the need to blow my own horn concerning the circles i have access to. Im happier to just let the hawks continue to strangthen my "told you so's" in the future when their standard issue answer to world conflict proves a dismal failure for my country.
  • Options

Since I'm not personally interested in establishing a cult of personality I don't feel the need to blow my own horn concerning the circles i have access to. Im happier to just let the hawks continue to strangthen my "told you so's" in the future when their standard issue answer to world conflict proves a dismal failure for my country.

Interesting, so you would prefer to see us go to war and hope we fail so you can stroke your ego.
  • Options
    Actually my take is that if we take the quick and easy path of the warmongers we WILL fail regardless of the any military victory. Unfortunately the aftermath of such actions is not your area of expertise old boy, and the geo-political situation will be all the worse for everyone than if we took the longer view and empowered the Iraqi people to the point that they could take care of matters from within as should be done.