Home Neurodivergence
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Struggling to cope...

Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 139 The Mix Convert
Hi I have autism, learning disabilities and am struggling to just manage this and get by life, Without being fake or unhappy. I struggle with things that people don't see /realise and this makes it all the all harder ...
Sometimes I don't even see the point of carrying on. There's no support available! Trust me.

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Invisible_me. You have done so well to reach out to us - especially as you usually feel like you have to hide how you really feel. Is there a particular part of life you are struggling with managing at the moment or does it feel like it is 'just everything'?

We hear you and see you. I am autistic myself and I know many of us on The Mix's community have autism and learning disabilities etc. Some days are more difficult than others and it sounds like you are really struggling at the moment. We are here with you.

In an ideal world, what would you like support to look like for you at the moment? In the meantime, some resources you might find helpful are:

- The National Autistic Society
    - Mencap
    - Autistica

If we can hear more about how you are feeling and what you might find helpful, we can hopefully support you the best way we can <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Invisible_me - thank you for having the courage to reach out and share your experience. It's easier said than done, especially when you don't feel seen or heard. I'm sorry to hear that you've not felt supported, I can understand how that can be frustrating!

@Laura_tigger82 has shared some great resources for support, guidance and information above. This is a place where you can share how you feel and be listened to :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

Is there anything in particular that you'd like support with?

I briefly checked out your post history and I see that you were in university a few years ago. I understand that when education ends, especially if you are autistic and struggle with mental health and other learning difficulties, it might feel like you're a bit lost. Applying for jobs and actually trying to balance work, with your personal life and looking after yourself is probably tricky for many but more so when you are diagnosed with autism and learning difficulties.

It can be difficult to find support. But the suggestions above might be of some help to you. Depending on what you are struggling with, you might be able to try to some self-help stuff. I like trying to focus on my strengths, what I'm good at and what I enjoy, to try to figure out what career path to follow. I also try to stick to routine and use to do lists to help me keep on track.

If you are struggling and feel that others don't know about your struggles, is it worth opening up to them about what you find difficult? You shouldn't have to deal with everything on your own. It might be possible to come up with alternative ways of doing things so that you don't have to struggle so much.

Feel free to give us an update if you want- we are always here to listen :)