Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Crisis team basically gave up on me lol

IainJammyboyIainJammyboy Posts: 932 Part of The Mix Family
I'm just confused - the crisis team promised to stay with me and work with me until a plan was in place, but got discharged today with the reasoning that they don't know how to help me, and so I'm being told to wait until my psychiatrist appointment next Tuesday and a plan will be made - but then what if nothing happens again, I'll be on my own without support for the next few months again? The only reason the crisis team got involved was after I had involvement with the police, I had tried phoning them before that but I was told to instead talk to my community mental health team to make a longer care plan. I just keep being passed around from service to service with no clear plan or help in place and I'm scared

Comments

• Options
    dyoverdxdyoverdx Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hey I feel you. I got discharged from my care team and I’ve incident a of self harm, substance misuse and suicidal ideation with one attempt.

Guess what they tell me to do? They said if I’m in crisis I should ring 999 or single point of access. So basically I’m in limbo and they dgaf. It is so upsetting for me because I want help with therapy too not meds on their own.
    “Most people are so ungrateful to be alive. But not you. Not anymore.”
  • Options
    @dyoverdx I'm glad someone understands lol - even when I phone up NHS 24, keep being told to do that when I'm in a crisis but all they said they can do is either just talk things through or phone the police on me. Even when I was in hospital they told me (rather than discussed) that it's anxiety and was sent home - and then crisis team refused to see me too like wtf. They keep going on about autism too but they don't really care for my views or my thoughts on what it is because it is 10000% not autism or anxiety - I've told them that for the past two years but they don't listen lol
  • Options
    ellaella Community Manager Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    @IainJammyboy thank you for reaching out to the community- we are here for you every step of the way.

It's completely understandable to feel confused and alone when you're being passed around for help. It sounds like you've been trying to get help for a while, but haven't found a consistent source of support and I can hear that you are feeling incredibly frustrated about this which is to be expected! <3

There are resources available in the meantime though, even if it feels overwhelming right now.

Here are a few things you can do:
    Call your GP: Explain what happened with the crisis team and see if they can offer any additional support this week or can bring your psychiatrist appointment forward before next Tuesday.
    Contact a mental health helpline: They can offer a listening ear and point you towards resources in your area. Here are a few:
    Local urgent mental health helpline | Open 24/7 | Find details about your local service here.
    *Crisis Messenger - Our crisis messenger text service provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. You can text THEMIX to 85258.

Contact Mind Infoline: Infoline is an information and signposting service. You can ask them about:
    Mental health problems
    Where to get help near you
    Treatment options
    Advocacy services
    Welfare benefits

Hope this helps! Please keep us updated on how you get on this week :)
  • Options
    Sunshine12Sunshine12 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    @IainJammyboy that sounds so frustrating ? U should deffo keep putting pressure on them to help you because at the end of the day they're there to help ppl and you and your mental health deserves to be priority <3
  • Options
    Sunshine12Sunshine12 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    @dyoverdx hey that sounds so frustrating as well, if u haven't already u could try going to ur gp and telling them you want to be referred for therapy, this unfortunately will probs take longer than it should but if u make yourself heard and put a bit of pressure on then hopefully they'll listen more
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you. It sounds like there isn't very good communication between all the services involved and how you don't feel listened to either.

Hopefully, your psychiatrist will listen to you and help you to come up with a plan for crisis. I'm also wondering whether it's worth mentioning to your psychiatrist about what the hospital staff said about anxiety and autism? It might not be these things but it might be worth mentioning, particularly if you haven't been assessed for autism. There can be an overlap in symptoms so it's worth talking to your psychiatrist who will be able to reassure you, or refer you to someone who can diagnose you if autism is a possibility. And if it turns out you don't have autism, at least you'll be able to tell other professionals that (and hopefully they will listen).
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Maisy I have been assessed for both autism and anxiety I should mention but it's definitely neither. I think the professionals do listen they just don't know how to help, but I think if I do get a proper refferal to the early psychosis intervention team they will understand
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    How has the support been going more recently @IainJammyboy? You deserve to be able to access the support you need and to feel heard and understood.

Do you know when/if you might be referred to the early psychosis intervention team? I can hear how you feel they would understand :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    No one wants to help me - NHS are shit at offering any support, they only seem to help when you actually do something. They don't give a fuck about me, they just left me on my own
  • Options
    I don't get why, but even when I tell them about being able to talk through the tv and peoples minds, only my therapist takes me seriously, I feel like everyone else thinks I'm faking it - especially when seeing other people with similar symptoms bring taken alot more seriously than me
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Have you had the meeting with your psychiatrist yet? If you did, how did that go?

It must be so frustrating that to feel that very few people take you seriously. It's good that your therapist understands though...maybe they can advocate for you? Or get in touch with your GP to ask about when you will be referred to the early psychosis intervention? If not, it might be worthwhile looking into someone who can advocate for you, particularly seeing as this has been going on for some time and you feel you aren't getting the support you need. You could check out this article by the NHS https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/ about the Patient Advice and Liaison Service. MIND also has an article on advocacy in mental health, which you can check out here: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/advocacy/what-is-advocacy/
  • Options
    I don't get why, but even when I tell them about being able to talk through the tv and peoples minds, only my therapist takes me seriously, I feel like everyone else thinks I'm faking it - especially when seeing other people with similar symptoms bring taken alot more seriously than me
    @Maisy I have been assessed for both autism and anxiety I should mention but it's definitely neither. I think the professionals do listen they just don't know how to help, but I think if I do get a proper refferal to the early psychosis intervention team they will understand

Alright I’ll be honest with you instead of lying and mollycoddling you with hugs and hearts. Don’t get offended, I’m actually trying to help you. I’m not dismissing your problems. You seem to be really struggling at the moment but be true to yourself. The human mind is the most complex organ we have in our bodies, in my opinion.
    It can play tricks on you. Mental health problems are so dynamic and this is why you need to speak to a psychiatrist honestly otherwise you won’t get the help you deserve.
    I’m not a doctor so I don’t know if you’re psychotic or not. However I’ve experienced psychosis. I can’t remember things much, but I do remember my mind was out of control. Simply put, I didn’t have the insight I have now and that you seem to have.
    Ask yourself why people think you’re “faking” it. There has to be a reason.
    Like I said you seem to have insight about symptoms and all.
    “The first principle is to not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool” - Richard Feynman

• Options
    @dyoverdx yeah sure that's fine - I'll be honest there's such a lack of insight into what it is myself as well from an outside perspective - I'm completely honest with my therapist too, but when I try explain it makes complete sense in my own head and what I think when I talk about it, but I'm told it doesn't make sense to anyone else listening so that partly makes it really difficult. I'll be completely honest I'm not sure if it is early psychosis even with the fact some of these symptoms have been here for years but this like second nature I never noticed it, but then there's stuff with hearing voices and other symptoms like that in which it feels so familiar but I have no evidence or anything to prove it. I think it's that cycle lol of where I'll think the NHS or others think I'm faking it, and then I'll convince myself I'm faking this but where I have no reason to, and even then why would anyone want to fake it? I know for sure that it feels like what I used to feel and think and experience has been taken away - now my thinking is so bland, it's like there's no meaning behind my actions that I understand at least. I have a few seconds a few times each month where I'll feel like myself, I can feel emotions and think properly and everything, but it's just like everythings been taken away at once. I try so hard to fix this myself and to look after myself the absolute best I can, but it's got a point where there's only so much I can do anymore before it's out of my control
  • Options
    @dyoverdx yeah sure that's fine - I'll be honest there's such a lack of insight into what it is myself as well from an outside perspective - I'm completely honest with my therapist too, but when I try explain it makes complete sense in my own head and what I think when I talk about it, but I'm told it doesn't make sense to anyone else listening so that partly makes it really difficult. I'll be completely honest I'm not sure if it is early psychosis even with the fact some of these symptoms have been here for years but this like second nature I never noticed it, but then there's stuff with hearing voices and other symptoms like that in which it feels so familiar but I have no evidence or anything to prove it. I think it's that cycle lol of where I'll think the NHS or others think I'm faking it, and then I'll convince myself I'm faking this but where I have no reason to, and even then why would anyone want to fake it? I know for sure that it feels like what I used to feel and think and experience has been taken away - now my thinking is so bland, it's like there's no meaning behind my actions that I understand at least. I have a few seconds a few times each month where I'll feel like myself, I can feel emotions and think properly and everything, but it's just like everythings been taken away at once. I try so hard to fix this myself and to look after myself the absolute best I can, but it's got a point where there's only so much I can do anymore before it's out of my control
    You didn’t mention that you hear voices. How do they sound like? Do you think it’s your thoughts or does it sound like it’s someone else? What do they tell you?

This is a red flag for psychosis. I am no doctor but you need help. Go to your GP and tell them.
  • Options
    @dyoverdx sorry like it's the fact it feels so familiar but I don't understand if I do hear them or not - like I'm sure if that makes any sense? I really really wish I had that insight but it's just been taken away - that's kinda what worried my therapist because I just don't understand that side of it at all. It's not me that's all I know, it's always like there's others involved with this but I just don't understand at all, I try so so hard to understand but I just don't get it if that makes any sense at all
  • Options
    @dyoverdx then there's stuff with hearing voices
    @dyoverdx sorry like it's the fact it feels so familiar but I don't understand if I do hear them or not - like I'm sure if that makes any sense? I really really wish I had that insight but it's just been taken away - that's kinda what worried my therapist because I just don't understand that side of it at all. It's not me that's all I know, it's always like there's others involved with this but I just don't understand at all, I try so so hard to understand but I just don't get it if that makes any sense at all
    No it doesn’t make sense to me. You either hear voices or you don’t. You do sound confused and I think going to your GP is the first step.
    You are mentioning new things as I speak to you so I think it’s the reason why people think you’re faking it. So, instead, write down all your symptoms on a piece of paper.
    You don’t have to prove anything to me or anyone else here. Be comfortable with yourself.
    Your problems are acknowledged unconditionally here. We all go through shit in life but suffering is universal.