Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reading/books

Sunshine12Sunshine12 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
Hey guys I thought I'd create this so that ppl could recommend their fav books based on what they like. I enjoy horror and thriller books and I've just finished 'the perfect couple' by Jackie Kabler and it's a super fun read and so many plot twists! would deffo recommend. I'm now starting the horror 'psychic teenage bloodbath' and apparently its a really good horror but it has some TWs if anyone else wants to read! <3

Comments

• Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 431 Listening Ear
    This is a great idea @Sunshine12 ! @Amy22 Was suggesting a book club on the mix in case you didn't know

I'd recommend:
    • Before the coffee gets cold (magical realism, series)
    • The silent patient (thriller/mystery)
    • The bell jar (modern classic)
    • Heartstopper (YA/romance/contemporary/LGBTQIA+, series)
    • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (fantasy/YA, series)
    • The midnight library (contemporary/literary)
    • Solitaire (contemporary)
    • Girl in Pieces (contemporary/YA)* quite a dark book so be aware of TW's

I'm currently reading Kafka on the Shore
  • Options
    toffuna101toffuna101 Posts: 154 Helping Hand
    @lunarcat522 i loved the film for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children but i never got round to reading the books. i also read the midnight library, solitaire, the girl in pieces and watched heartstopper. i see that you have the same taste as me lol
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 431 Listening Ear
    @toffuna101 Oh wow that's so cool! My other favourite of Alice Oseman is Loveless!
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 and @toffuna101 ooo those books sound like they'll be great then I'll have to check them out, i've heard a lot of good things about the midnight library. The book club idea also sounds great! @Amy22
  • Options
    I've also heard great stuff about the book 'rock paper scissors' which is meant to be an incredible thriller :)
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,033 Community Veteran
    This is a great idea @Sunshine12 ! @Amy22 Was suggesting a book club on the mix in case you didn't know

I'd recommend:
    • Before the coffee gets cold (magical realism, series)
    • The silent patient (thriller/mystery)
    • The bell jar (modern classic)
    • Heartstopper (YA/romance/contemporary/LGBTQIA+, series)
    • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (fantasy/YA, series)
    • The midnight library (contemporary/literary)
    • Solitaire (contemporary)
    • Girl in Pieces (contemporary/YA)* quite a dark book so be aware of TW's

I'm currently reading Kafka on the Shore

I got the first book of Heartstopper (had to edit then because cannot spell for the life of me xd). I also got the miss peregrins home for children books as well execpt I need the last two books in the series to complete my series. Im on the second book, Hollow City I think. I also got loveless and solitare too but never got round to reading them. I seen girl in pieces in the charity shop where I used to volunteer at.

I know that the Percy Jackson series is supposed to be quite good to read and I am currently on Percy Jackson Son of Neptune at the moment. I will say that there are lots of books in that series including spin off's and one set around Egyptology.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    Sunshine12 wrote: »
    @lunarcat522 and @toffuna101 ooo those books sound like they'll be great then I'll have to check them out, i've heard a lot of good things about the midnight library. The book club idea also sounds great! @Amy22

Thank you so much!. It was my friend @yana 's idea because we both want to read but struggle to focus and get round to reading properly. So we decided to mention about it on here to see if anyone was interested. So far I don't know when we might be starting our first session at the moment but I shall update you all real soon!. Happy reading <3.
  • Options
    Sunshine12 wrote: »
    Hey guys I thought I'd create this so that ppl could recommend their fav books based on what they like. I enjoy horror and thriller books and I've just finished 'the perfect couple' by Jackie Kabler and it's a super fun read and so many plot twists! would deffo recommend. I'm now starting the horror 'psychic teenage bloodbath' and apparently its a really good horror but it has some TWs if anyone else wants to read! <3

I know a good book which I'm yet to read some day. I think it's called 'Meddling Kids' and it's like a grown up version of Scooby Doo apparently I think. I'll have to double check it to confirm but it's giving Scooby Doo written by Stephen King and directed by the guy who did the shining.
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 251 The Mix Regular
    im currently reading where the crawdads sing which i would definitely recommend! i also love normal people! think it has to be one of my favourites!
  • Options
    ive heard a lot of good things about where the crawdads sing so i can agree with you there. theres got to be a reason as to why its a bestseller
  • Options
    toffuna101 wrote: »
    ive heard a lot of good things about where the crawdads sing so i can agree with you there. theres got to be a reason as to why its a bestseller

Have you seen the film? that is what made me get the book which im enjoying even more
  • Options
    @Katie12 i debated going to the cinema to watch it when it came out but since it was a 15+ film and you need some sort of id to go in there i just forgot about watching it (i was barely 14). i can try and watch it online now however
  • Options
    Katie12 wrote: »
    im currently reading where the crawdads sing which i would definitely recommend! i also love normal people! think it has to be one of my favourites!

Ive seen a trailer for the film and did read a bit of it in the works when browsing books
  • Options
    indievioletindieviolet Posts: 40 Boards Initiate

I've not read it but the film version of Where the Crawdads Sing was so good, really atmospheric! I also love Normal People, I need to go back and finish the TV series when I get time, have you seen it?
  • Options
    @indieviolet I've seen that book Normal People everywhere and I have been meaning to read it someday as well as watching the TV series.
  • Options

I've not read it but the film version of Where the Crawdads Sing was so good, really atmospheric! I also love Normal People, I need to go back and finish the TV series when I get time, have you seen it?

Yeah I love the TV series! cant decide which i prefer, the book or the film because i think they're both done really well! what do you think of it?
  • Options
    toffuna101 wrote: »
    @Katie12 i debated going to the cinema to watch it when it came out but since it was a 15+ film and you need some sort of id to go in there i just forgot about watching it (i was barely 14). i can try and watch it online now however

if you can find it anywhere i would definitely recommend watching it! I think daisy edgar jones is great! maybe that is why i love normal people as well :lol:
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Ive started fake dates and mooncakes by Sher Lee its quite good so far!
    Anyone reading anything good this weekend? :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 I've just started 'Patricia wants to cuddle' by Samantha Allen, it's supposed to be a thriller take on the reality show the bachelor!
  • Options
    @Amy22 oooo normal people is so good, I rewatch it so much =)
  • Options
    Theres a book I saw online and I read an online sample of it. I can't remember the name but the plot revolves around a teenage girl coming of age in the Amish community. Once they turn eighteen I think or come of age they able to go into what they call the 'English' world. But this book is about a zombie apocalypse taking place and the community are unaware of what is happening but only until its too late. So this girl and her brother I think do like a road trip. I'm not very sure though to be honest. I wanna read it.
  • Options
    I just googled the name of the book and realised that it is called The Hallowed Ones

bmjiuzt8lvln.png

• Options
    and theres a sequel to it called The Outside

twvintw84fyg.png
  • Options
    Ive been reading a book review and its not her brother its her best friend that she is supposed to marry.