Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Understanding 'emotional health'

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
edited February 19 in Health & Wellbeing
So, it's emotional health week (which I only today found out existed!)

I tend to use 'emotional health' 'mental health' and 'wellbeing' to mean the same thing, but it turns out they're pretty different. It's less about how well or happy you feel, and more about the tools you use to interact with others and manage your emotions constructively. So you could be mentally unwell, but emotionally healthy, or mentally well but emotionally unhealthy (if that's the right term I guess).

Anyway, in the link above they have an interesting graph showing the different tools we use:

10n56b2mg2a3.png
Img: components of emotional health, including: self awareness, social wareness, self beliefs, self agency, beliefs about others, self regulation, and relationship skills.

Thought I'd share because I had a real 'oooh right yeah' moment when I was reading it and finally understood the difference between mental health and emotional health. :lol:
The truth resists simplicity.

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Did y'all know about this already? Any of this resonate with you?
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    toffuna101toffuna101 Posts: 154 Helping Hand
    that graph looks pretty cool
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 645 Incredible Poster
    I've always used the terms 'emotional health' and 'wellbeing' interchangeably so I've definitely learned something new today! Thanks for sharing this :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    It's so lovely to hear this has taught you something new @JustV @indieviolet @Maisy . I went to a talk last week about emotional health, and I've been learning so much about it as well. I was very similar to what you've all shared using mental health, wellbeing and emotional health interchangeably. <3

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤