Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Supported living

LozLoz Community Champion Posts: 113 The Mix Convert
edited March 27 in Home, Law & Money
Hi,

So I've recently left foster care and gone into supported living. But I'm in a situation where my food is constantly getting stolen (theres a shared kitchen) and i have no idea what to do or whats the best way to go about it. Its so frustrating and ive spoke to the workers about it but i feel like its going to keep happening.
"My darkside won today" - DArkSide by BMTH
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Loz sorry to hear about your situation, I can understand your frustration. Maybe it's best to try and talk about it openly with the people you are living with. Obviously not in an accusatory way, but you could ask if others have had a similar problem of things going missing. That could be helpful in getting some action out of the support workers. Keep us updated <3
  • Options
    @amy02 I dont really know anyone here at the moment so i dont know what to do. I just feel like its gonna keep happening no matter what, it just seems like that kind of place. I think i might just keep what i can in my room and hope for the best i dont really see another way out of it.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    Hey @Loz it's great to hear you spoke to the workers, I hope there's something they can do to help :)

I wouldve said the exacr same thing as @amy02 but I guess if that might be too confrontational for you (personally I'd feel kinda stressed about openly mentioning it to everyone) maybe u could leave a postit note by your food? I'm not sure if it would solve the issue but it's worth a try to jjst leave a little note being like "*your name*s food dont touch please! :)".
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    @Xee I feel like leaving a note by my food but like I feel like they'd just take the piss if you know what I mean.

My bowl has been robbed now so I cant even keep a fucking bowl in there its getting ridiculous.

Im gonna report it again today because it is getting ridiculous we all get the same amount of money for food.
  • Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    @Loz yeah that is totally ridiculous and selfish. I really hope it stops sometime soon because that just isn't fair at all. keep me updated! x
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,799 Master Poster
    I have an idea. Spike your food with something and then people will leave your food alone. I don't mean with anything dangerous like drugs or something that you know someone is allergic to. I just mean add a bit too much spice to your food. They won't try it again after trying it once. If anyone confronts you about it, just say that you like your food being spicy. But yes it is really frustrating that your stuff keeps getting stolen.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    How did it go reporting to the support worker?

Sometimes, especially in a shared living arrangement, people might not realise that certain things are for a specific person. They might just see it as food or a bowl that is there for anyone to use. Other times, and hopefully this isn't the case, some people might deliberately take food or belongings that they know is someone else's. Either way, it obviously isn't fair on you.

I was also going to suggest labelling your food and belongings but if you feel that wouldn't help, then aside from keep on reporting to the support worker, it might help to keep your stuff separate, perhaps in your room, if you can. It's not an ideal solution but at least it might mean your stuff doesn't get stolen anymore!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Loz - I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. It's a shared space that you should all be able to use, and it's not fair when someone takes our food or things. There's some good advice above, and I think the suggestion that @Maisy made about keeping these things in your room will keep them safe for now. And I'd definitely raise this as a complaint, because it's not fair to you to keep going through this. Sending hugs <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.