Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Comment in the media has offended me

Creativeboy23Creativeboy23 Posts: 191 Trailblazer
edited January 8 in Health & Wellbeing

I saw a post on Facebook newsfeed about an actor generalising about young people, which offended me, causing me to play out different scenarios, like staff and parents agreeing with what she said, college staff slamming young people about their inability to cook meals in the LRC, and people telling me not to personalise the situation. There was a YouTube video about her comment. I felt the celebrities supported the remark. Hearing the opinion has put my confidence down as a young person and made me feel inferior. The older generation Tweeters did not acknowledge how her comment must have made young people feel. However, I know that I am not alone. They will be others who feel the same way but it does not change how I feel. It is unlikely she intended for her comment to be hurtful and offensive and was speaking about her experience working on set with them, but I feel it was unfair to form that opinion from that experience. I am aware that the thoughts and being inferior are not facts, but my feelings and thoughts are valid.

Comments

• Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    Hey @Creativeboy23 thanks for sharing this with us, it's always good to get feelings out and as you mention your thoughts are always valid here <3
  • Options
    edited January 9

Hello @amy02.

No worries. I agree.
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    I think I might know which comment you are referring to (or if not, then I can relate to it from something similar I've recently read about). And I agree- it was bad to generalise. I don't doubt that there are people out there who are exactly the way she described that led her to generalising in the first place. But you'll find those types of people in all walks of life, not just in a certain group of people. If anything, this shows the danger of generalising (something that is probably really relevant in today's society when we think of how easy misinformation gets spread around).

It's understandable that her comment would've made you feel inferior and a lack of confidence. And while there will be people agreeing with her comment, there will be plenty of people who disagree too- and they will probably point out the generalisation in her comment as well.

Sometimes when we get upset by something we see in the news or online, it can help to take a break from what we are reading or watching. Hope you are okay <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options

Hello @Maisy.

That is so true. Good points.

I will try to take a break from the news or online information if I come across anything upsetting in the future.

I have recovered from that article now.