Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stopped medication

VerinelinVerinelin Posts: 13 Settling in
I decided to stop my medication recently (an antidepressant and an antipsychotic) and told my GP. She encouraged me to go back on them, I said no because i know that it means people can be read my thoughts and I just found out she contacted my mental health team about it without telling me.

I don't know how to feel about it. In all fairness, we agreed that I'd contact them on Monday but I feel like the choice has been taken away from me and I'm quite upset about it. I'm now doubting whether I should call as I don't want to make the situation seem worse than it is.

Comments

• Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,023 Wise Owl
    Hi @Verinelin
    You need to be careful with medication. I dont know about antipsychotics but it can be dangerous to just suddenly stop taking an antidepressant you’ve been taking for a while. Why exactly is it that you don’t want to take your medication anymore?
    I think it’s important to listen to your GP and mental health team though, mainly for the reason that suddenly stopping medication isn’t good for you.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    edited November 2023
    Hey @Verinelin - I can hear how having that choice taken away from you can upset you, if you've agreed to contact them beforehand. I'd agree with @AnonymousToe here, in that medication is something to be careful about. Taking, stopping, or changing dosage of medication should all be done with supervision from a GP. Stopping them can be very dangerous, which is why they've suggested you return to taking them. That might have contributed to why they've contacted the mental health team as they are concerned for your health.

You mention that you believe taking the medication means that people could read your thoughts. Would you mind explaining more about this, and why you might feel this way? We're here to listen to you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    VerinelinVerinelin Posts: 13 Settling in
    @Azziman , @AnonymousToe thank you for your messages. I know stopping the medication suddenly isn't great but staying on if just doesn't feel like an option anymore.

Basically, I've been having some really awful thoughts about hurting other people and I know those aren't my thoughts so someone must be putting them there and I kinda just know that if they could do that, they can access my thoughts in other ways too and that I'm being watched. It's honestly a bit tiring, I feel like I have to be careful about everything I say, do and think
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,023 Wise Owl
    @Verinelin That makes sense, I understand why you’d not want to keep taking the medication if you’re having these thoughts. Have you discussed this with your GP / mental health team? I’m not completely sure why it happens but medication can cause you to have strange thoughts. It’s just the change in chemicals in your body and in your brain that’s making you have those thoughts - it’s not somebody controlling you. I promise nobody can read your thoughts because of the medication.
    However, I think you should tell your GP that you’ve been having thoughts about hurting people. Then they can help you manage them / ease you off the medication safely. It just might not be the right mix for you.
  • Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Verinelin, how are you feeling today?

I can completely understand how you feel, I'm currently on antidepressants and have been for a few years, and I remember having times where I felt they were doing more harm than good. I know there may be a lack of trust with the GP now, after she went to your mental health team without telling you, but I think it may be helpful to remember (for the most part) all medical professionals have your best interests at heart, and they have a lot of experience in situations like these. As @AnonymousToe says, if you feel comfortable, it might be good to talk to your GP, as she will probably have a lot of ideas and answers to your questions, and may be able to suggest an alternative medication that could have fewer side effects, or other treatments that you may feel better with.

I know this is a distressing situation, but know that we are all here for you, as are your GP and mental health team, if ever you want to reach out and talk <3
    Keep fighting the good fight!