Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

2nd year of college

ElleFroggo05ElleFroggo05 Posts: 121 The Mix Convert
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys so I do a T Level at my college so my course lasts 2 years. Basically for those who don’t know, T level is the equivalent of 3 A levels but it’s all one subject.
My college is introducing a lot of changes to the new year. I have autism (alongside adhd, anxiety and depression). As you can imagine, all these changes are making me really anxious.
Any advice? I’d love hear anything at this point

PS: I have a meeting with college on Thursday but it’s possible more changes will be talked about then as well
How is my adhd autistic anxious depressed brain functioning-? I don’t know either
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,022 Community Veteran
    edited August 2023
    Good luck for your second year of college. I think I may have done a T level in college actually as my creative media course was equivalent to 3 A levels but was just one subject though I had to do skills alongside it as an extra qualification. I can imagine how the college changes are making you feel especially if they are doing major changes as well. I'd say take it each day at a time and if needed if your college offers 1:1 support it might be a good idea to ask for some 1:1 sessions or support to help with the changes. I had a support worker down in my college who I could go to and speak about anything on my mind. I hope all goes well for your meeting on Thursday. Let me know if you need anything help with anything <3,

All the best,

Amy22 <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    kaiikaii Posts: 458 Listening Ear
    Hi @Elouise_Elle05, thank you for reaching out. I hear that you’re feeling anxious and overwhelmed because of these big changes that your college are making, which I completely understand. Coping with change can be very difficult.

I completely agree with what’s been said above ^^ I would just like to add that it’s completely okay for you to allow yourself a lot of time for you to adjust to change. It may help to plan in advance and obtain as much information as possible about the things that will change. That way, maybe you will feel less stressed.

Additionally, it may also help to access things that help you cope whenever you feel stressed, and to allow yourself time to partake in your interests. This can include taking a break somewhere quiet or partaking in your hobbies.

Hope this helps, and I wish you all the best with your second year!

Kai <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
  • Options
    Thanks guys
    How is my adhd autistic anxious depressed brain functioning-? I don’t know either
  • Options
    Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    @Elouise_Elle05 It's completely understandable that all these changes can be overwhelming and anxiety-inducing, There are some strategies you might find helpful to manage your anxiety and navigate these changes: preparing in advance, writing down your concerns, asking questions in the meeting, practicing mindfulness, creating a support system like friends and family, and setting realistic expectations. Remember that your feelings are valid, and it's important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being. You're not alone in facing these challenges, and seeking support from those around you can make a significant difference.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Done all that apart from mindfullness as that isn’t a thing for me thx tho
  • Options
    Update the meeting was well there’s only one thing they can only do if I add it to my echp which is good
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Im really glad the meeting went well @Elouise_Elle05 how are you feeling about college now? When do you start
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thanks @ebyrne556 ye I feel ok still anxious but I’m hoping see my friends there which is helping me get through the weeks left of summer. I start back up on 14th for a 2nd year induction day then I start properly the following Monday
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @Elouise_Elle05 Good luck on your induction! I had my HND Social Science year 2 induction on Friday - what course are you studying?
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 thanks hope yours went well. I’m T Level year 2 of Education and Childcare
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @Elouise_Elle05 Wow sounds interesting! Like yourself I was very nervous going back, mostly due to new people in my classes and the uncertainty but I met with someone from student advice that was really helpful to put strategies in place. For example my lecturers where possible should post their lecture slides in advance, emphasising confidentiality, not drawing attention to me in class or spotlighting me. Not sure whether that would be useful for you but it's just some stuff that helps me as I have social anxiety, trauma, assessment arrangements etc so it's useful for lecturers to know. I'm also hoping to get funding for AI assisted note taking due to hypermobility.
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 hey ye it is interesting thank you for all the advice. I currently have a notes page on my phone of accomendations and stuff to speak to the mental health lead at my college(she’s sorting alot of it out for me) so I will be adding all of this on it which isn’t already there. Thank you again
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    How has being back at college been going for you @ElleFroggo05? Hope they have been able to support you with managing the changes :)
  • Options
    DizzyIzzyDizzyIzzy Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    Good luck with second year! Hope the Mental Health lead listens to you and helps sort out all the accommodations you need :)
  • Options
    Hey @Laura_tigger82 and @DizzyIzzy
    Ye they’ve been supportive and stuff
    I’ve had to step out of class almost every day I’ve been in unfortunately due to my mental health but I’m trying
  • Options
    I can hear how hard you are trying @ElleFroggo05. Have you received any support around struggling with classes? You deserve all the support :)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @ElleFroggo05, I'm glad to hear that they've been supportive, that's reassuring to know. And well done for keeping on trying to attend - I can appreciate that it's not easy, and that having to step out if you need it is completely fine. Keep doing your best, you're on the right path :) How do you feel about the start of term?
  • Options
    @Laura_tigger82 ye but I don’t know how else they can help because I’m still struggling
    @Azziman sorry just seen this too as I’m now in the 2bd half of term but ye I’m really struggling
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    Hey @ElleFroggo05, it sounds like it's not been easy for you so far. The main thing is that you've kept on going and not given up, that deserves credit in of itself! :)

Is there anything in particular that you think you'd like more support on? Or something that you're finding particularly challenging so far?
  • Options
    I’m not sure. I’m having intrusive thoughts at the moment tho which makes things harder, especially when their about sucide and self harm
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 610 Incredible Poster
    You've been really brave to reach out @ElleFroggo05, I can really hear how tough everything is feeling for you right now. It sounds overwhelming to be experiencing these intrusive thoughts. Remember we're all here for you <3. Do you feel comfortable sharing more about what's been going on for you? Can you also share with us if you're feeling safe at the moment?

If you're struggling and need immediate support, remember you're not alone. There's lots of lovely services out there to help you through this. I've listed them below for you:
    * If you need urgent help or have any concerns for your health or safety, the quickest way to get help is to call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. 
    *Crisis Messenger - Our crisis messenger text service provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. If you’re aged 25 or under, you can text THEMIX to 85258.
    * Papyrus - If you are having thoughts of suicide, you can contact HOPELINEUK for confidential support and practical advice. You can call them on 0800 068 4141 or text them on 07786209697.
    * Samaritans are reachable by phone and email 24/7. Whatever you're going through, you can call them any time, from any phone on 116 123.
  • Options
    Ye just depression and anxiety don’t help I have AuDHD(autism and adhd). Ye I can keep myself safe atm
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Hiya @ElleFroggo05 just checking in to see how you are As others have said You have been really brave to reach out and we r all here for you.Also Well done for almost finishing your first term I can understand how it hasnt been easy but you are almost there <3
  • Options
    Thanks just trying get thro the intrusive thoughts
  • Options
    catherines03catherines03 Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    @ElleFroggo05 Hi! Sorry to be late to the discussion, but I'm super proud of you and all the steps you're taking to support your mental health. As well as official support from school, it can be really beneficial to set up a nice routine for before / after school that either sets you up for the day or helps you to decompress and unwind. For example, I find staying off my phone for the first 30 mins of the day really helps to reduce my anxiety, but I usually factor in an hour after I arrive back from work or school to watch YouTube or something to help me relax and then I'm in a better space to do homework.
  • Options
    Hey sorry it’s college and ye have tried to make a routine before which helps with my autism but because of my adhd I really struggle to keep the routine ect. I also can’t go long without my phone😂 I always have some sort of tech because otherwise I’m bored somehow and also music=life lmao
    Thank you sorry thanks
  • Options
    Could you set up a flexible routine @ElleFroggo05 - for example, one thing that would make the day even better? This way you can have a routine which is in line with your ADHD and general feelings that day too.

We recognise this will look different for everyone though (and likely change regularly). We will happily talk through what this might look like for you. If this is something you would like to explore further with us please let us know - we are all here for you and with you :)
  • Options
    I guess I just don’t know how I’d do it
    Ye I want explore this